Portable Air

NOOOOOO!!!!! Stay away from Shi**ybilt products. Buy a Viair once and be done.

X2 to that!

If you're not looking for onboard air, in my opinion this is the compressor to get:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000X9AXR8/?tag=wranglerorg-20

The reviews on that thing don't lie, I own the same one and it's nothing short of amazing. Small, compact, comes with a very nice and durable carrying case, hose, accessories and more.

In addition to that it will easily inflate up to a 35" tire. I can fill my 33" tires in around 1 minute each depending.

Let me ask you this. What size compressor for air tools on the trail? Guess it depends on the tools.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Let me ask you this. What size compressor for air tools on the trail? Guess it depends on the tools.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

The only air tool but I could see being helpful on the trail is an impact gun. Personally, I carry a heavy duty electric impact gun which gets most things off just fine.

The S****built is twice the CFM. This would cause me to really question the choice. Anyone with any actual experience with their air compressors?

I'm not a tool snob.....if it's got a lifetime warranty, hey, I'll buy Harbor freight tools! :D but I don't like buying twice (buy once cry once) when it's something more than a box wrench kinda deal.

No problem! My electric impact is one of my favorite tools I own (and I own a LOT of tools!).
Same. FINALLY sprung for a decent impact (1150 ftlbs) and Haven't regretted the purchase ONCE. In fact....I haven't used my air compressor in a very long time other than to air up tires.
snapon.jpg

Reactions: Chris
The S****built is twice the CFM. This would cause me to really question the choice. Anyone with any actual experience with their air compressors?

I'm not a tool snob.....if it's got a lifetime warranty, hey, I'll buy Harbor freight tools! :D but I don't like buying twice (buy once cry once) when it's something more than a box wrench kinda deal.

Same. FINALLY sprung for a decent impact (1150 ftlbs) and Haven't regretted the purchase ONCE. In fact....I haven't used my air compressor in a very long time other than to air up tires.
View attachment 941

Yep, an electric impact gun (and maybe a spare battery for it) is the only power tool I feel I really need with me. I'm like you, if I have a lifetime warranty on a tool I could care less who makes it or where it's made. Most of the Craftsman stuff is now made in China. However, in the rare instance a tool ever breaks (it's happened once in a while) they replace them at Sears no questions asked, no receipt needed, etc. That's fine by me!

As for the air compressor, the VIAIR 400P that I have works great. Can't comment on the Shittybuilt, I just know I've had bad luck with Shittybuilt stuff in the past so I tend to stay away.

I just know I've had bad luck with Shittybuilt stuff in the past so I tend to stay away.

Yeah that's been the consensus for YEARS (personally I've never owned anything they made) but as [basically] ALL mfg's move to china based production (see Warn VR series) it seems the playing field has somewhat been leveled in their favor.

This is just a $100 purchase, so it's not really a "hmmm...I REALLY need to weight the odds" like you would a winch, and it's not a "leave you high and dry up the creek without a paddle" also like a winch purchase.

I mean..if this thing craps out, well...I have to hit the closest gas station and hope I have a shitload of quarters (unless it's a Sheetz...and you probably don't HAVE those out there so you're like "WTH is a Sheetz")

I'd be interested in a shootout of these latest compressors, kind of like what 4wheeler did with winches a couple of years ago.

Yeah that's been the consensus for YEARS (personally I've never owned anything they made) but as [basically] ALL mfg's move to china based production (see Warn VR series) it seems the playing field has somewhat been leveled in their favor.

This is just a $100 purchase, so it's not really a "hmmm...I REALLY need to weight the odds" like you would a winch, and it's not a "leave you high and dry up the creek without a paddle" also like a winch purchase.

I mean..if this thing craps out, well...I have to hit the closest gas station and hope I have a shitload of quarters (unless it's a Sheetz...and you probably don't HAVE those out there so you're like "WTH is a Sheetz")

I'd be interested in a shootout of these latest compressors, kind of like what 4wheeler did with winches a couple of years ago.

Yep, I agree completely. With production moving to China for nearly all tools (and gear like this) it really does level the playing field.

I paid $150 for my VIAIR 400P, so even if it did fail it wouldn't be the end of the world (not like it would be if it was a $800 winch or something). My VIAIR 400P has indeed held up well though and the case and accessories it comes with is very nice indeed! Home Depot usually sells these things (that's where I got mine) so most of the time you can walk into the store and check one out in person before you buy it.

Reactions: CasterTroy
I just ordered an ARB CKMA12 after a year of deliberation. I was originally looking at Viair 450H and Puma. But ARB is just faster. I'll be posting about it soon. The twin was a bit too much cash for never using air tools.

I just ordered an ARB CKMA12 after a year of deliberation. I was originally looking at Viair 450H and Puma. But ARB is just faster. I'll be posting about it soon. The twin was a bit too much cash for never using air tools.

What are the dimensions on it? One of the main reasons I bought my 400P was because its small enough to fit in my trunk.

What are the dimensions on it? One of the main reasons I bought my 400P was because its small enough to fit in my trunk.

5.7 X 7.5 X 3.9 plus you can rotate the solenoid and the base. You can go tall and this or low and wide while mounted to the same spot...if that makes any sense.

Portable gives you the advantage of bringing it to a friend's jeep in need vs having to be in close proximity with your jeep's on board air setup

5.7 X 7.5 X 3.9 plus you can rotate the solenoid and the base. You can go tall and this or low and wide while mounted to the same spot...if that makes any sense.

Portable gives you the advantage of bringing it to a friend's jeep in need vs having to be in close proximity with your jeep's on board air setup

Yep, that's why I wanted portable air. Not only that, but I want to keep my AC because it is handy if you ever need it, not to mention that it always helps resale value should I ever need to sell the Wrangler (god forbid).