Portal axle thoughts?

Not to be a dick or anything, but there's lots of good portal info out there, on pirate for example, and other places already that's just as good or better than what you'll probably find here. Try looking into unimogs, 74 weld, Jesse Haines' builds and axletech portals would be a good start. I've found lots of cool info in just various build threads.

As far as this dstrac thing, with the current state of their website, I'd just forget it entirely. Looks way too sketchy too me, almost like a dynatrac housing knockoff or something. Not enough info and too many buzz words that don't mean anything.

Let me preface this with, these axle will likely never be in my budget, at least not in the foreseeable future.

Going off what the specs say, it uses a 13.2" vented rotor so conceivably you could get away with an 18 to 20 inch wheel, and be able clear the upper bj. Unfortunately they're not using actual photos of what potentially would be the set up for a TJ so that's just a guess. Also as you said it also will have much to do with how the steering is set up. They do offer full hydro as seen in the pic, or their "Dstrac HD uniball Steering system with upper uniball link to ease client steering link setup."

View attachment 252664
The question is, would the benefit, of extra 4 inches of axle clearance, outweigh the added scrub radius?
It's not in your budget, so you're set. I'd keep my money if it was in mine.

Reactions: Rick Flair
Here is another company that offers a bolt on portal option but I don't know for WHICH axles.

http://stazworks.com/axels.htm
https://www.allpar.com/threads/mopar-portal-axles-the-good-the-bad-“what-on-earth-is-it-”.229994/
https://emeraldwest.com/motorsports/products/crawl-king-60-front-rear-portal-axles-set/
Here is one for a Dana 44.
My understanding of a reason for doing portal axle boxes is that it take some of the strain off of the R&P of the axle. But I'm not totally sure about this. In the past 8 years ABOUT? in the SXS world portal boxes have become popular since it's harder to regear them and the portal box gives you reduced gearing.

1621159390273.png

This comes from this company:
http://www.tibus-offroad.com/
I can say I do wish there was a company that offered a bolt on portal box for standard axles like the Dana 44/Dana 60. There might be an I've just not heard of them? Cause I haven't looked for many years now.

Yes it's a Suzuki Samurai axle but it gives a good visual of how it's assembled and then works.

https://fb.watch/5wGnDfXMJZ/
https://www.tre4x4.com/single/bolt-on-portal-axles.html

Reactions: reddvltj
Be nice if they had some locker options.

Hi, at this moment we just offer our air lockers that are stronger than other competition in USA and with better warranty. We at the moment are finalizing our air lockers to start selling in the USA market.

the only info I found is that they value their air locker at $500 ... yikes
Sorry but that is not the price of our air lockers. That is a discount on the axle if you dont want it with lockers. With our new manufacturing facility we will guarantee demand for the USA market and lower the costs so that we are more competitive. This is not some Chinese lockers..

Reactions: TJ Starting
Like I said it could be compensated for using the appropriate positive offset much the same as 1 ton trucks use on dually applications.
Yes, with the purchase of Portal axles you need to purchase a new set of axles with some offset to compensate the extra 2" width of the Portals.

Wear on those ball joints would be severe. The scrub radius would be terrible.

Not at all because of the new wheels. Also our axles come with our oversized ball joints that will guarantee you years of no issues.
You are wrong on the scrub radios because its compensated with the wheels. Remember Portals = new wheel set

That’s got to be close to 12”. Do they make them with that much offset? Portals would be sweet with the added clearance and gearing.
No, that is a crazy number there. remember that on a wheel there is backspacing, width of the actual wheel and offset. It will all depend on your set.
the minimum wheel size to be used on our portals is 17"

Here you can see the difference on this 2 TJs, one running less offset wheel than the other. This TJs are running our portals for years now without any problems with them. Both with 42" tires and diesel engines.

IMG_0873.jpg

IMG_0872.jpg

3685a43b-61fe-4e3a-a787-692d7e787c4e.JPG

Reactions: TJ Starting
No, that is a crazy number there. remember that on a wheel there is backspacing, width of the actual wheel and offset. It will all depend on your set.
the minimum wheel size to be used on our portals is 17"
We understand how wheels are measured. So, for a 17" wheel, what would the back spacing need to be in order to maintain a typical scrub radius with an 8-9" wide rim and a 35" tire?

Here you can see the difference on this 2 TJs, one running less offset wheel than the other. This TJs are running our portals for years now without any problems with them. Both with 42" tires and diesel engines.

View attachment 255416

View attachment 255417

View attachment 255418
Thank you for the pictures. Correct me if I am wrong please but in the lower picture of the blue one, is the area circled not the lower ball joint and the arrow points to the inside lip of the rim right below it?

1622207082433.png

We are the number 1 axle supplier in Latin America, not only in the Automotive segment but Agriculture. This year we decided to enter the USA market because of our manufacturing facility expansion and our axles being more than proven in the Latin American market.
Being new doesn't mean bad

It depends on your setup basically, example is 17x10 4bs if you are using 42" tires. It will depend on the tire you are going to use and the axle width.
4" of back spacing means the tire has to roll for the knuckles to turn. That is not a good scrub radius.