Posi-Trac or Lockers?

Afishinado

This 97 a 4.0 - automatic. Has a 3" lift. I've had it for 7 years as my daily beater, work horse and as another off road toy at our summer digs in the Black Hills. I want to up my game just a notch, as it sits it qualifies a 5 on most sanctioned events, I want to see some new trails...
So I have 3:73 open diffs, Dana 30/35. 31.5" Tires (but due for replacement).
I think I would really like having the Eaton Tru Trac limited slip, front and back rather than lockers... What is the consensus on this with you guys?
What do you guys like for tires, I'm staying with the same 31.5" I'm 90% sure unless someone can tell me why not.
Seats, looking to replace. I'm 5'10 and 220lbs, I would like to be comfortable and not worry about a seat coming apart. Suggestions?
22June22 headed to Big Horn Safari run 2 copy.jpg

This 97 a 4.0 - automatic. Has a 3" lift. I've had it for 7 years as my daily beater, work horse and as another off road toy at our summer digs in the Black Hills. I want to up my game just a notch, as it sits it qualifies a 5 on most sanctioned events, I want to see some new trails...
So I have 3:73 open diffs, Dana 30/35. 31.5" Tires (but due for replacement).
I think I would really like having the Eaton Tru Trac limited slip, front and back rather than lockers... What is the consensus on this with you guys?
What do you guys like for tires, I'm staying with the same 31.5" I'm 90% sure unless someone can tell me why not.
Seats, looking to replace.
While the Tru Trac is probably the best limited slip (I had one in the front of my Toyota 4x4), I would not waste my money on one again. If I couldn't afford a selectable locker in the rear I wouldn't bother. You have a Dana 35 rear which makes a locker install more expensive due to the necessity of buying the Super35 kit (locker and new 1541H shafts).
I'm 5'10 and 220lbs, I would like to be comfortable and not worry about a seat coming apart. Suggestions?
MasterCraft Safety Baja RS or PRP Enduro are the two best names in US made Jeep aftermarket seats. I wouldn't consider a Chinese made seat like Bestop or Corbeau.

PRP does offer customization. MasterCraft is take it as it is (other than a few standard colors).

Last edited:
Reactions: BugoutJeep
If a trail is uneven enough to lift a tire up off the ground Eaton's Truetrac won't help at all... those types of trails require lockers. I'd install a good lunchbox locker like the No-Slip from Powertrax or an Aussie from ARB into the front Dana 30 axle, a stock Dana 35 is not (!) strong enough for a locker. It's common to break a stock Dana 35 axle shaft after a locker has been installed.

An Aussie lunchbox locker clicks/ratchets softly during slow-speed turns when in 2wd, it's noticeable in parking lots and some people might think something's broken lol. The No-Slip lunchbox locker is silent, it doesn't make clicking/ratcheting sounds in 2wd though it's about $80 more to buy. Installing a lunchbox is not a hard job, most guys with time working under a Jeep could install one without problem.

Or if your trails are flat enough to keep all four tires on the ground a Truetrac wouldn't be a bad choice... and your Dana 35 is strong enough for a Truetrac and up to 33" tires.

For seats I'm very happy with my PRP Daily Driver seats, not to mentioned they're made in the US. They don't look this pretty now but they're still in relatively good condition. Mine don't have an adjustable seat back angle but I'm totally happy with it as is and never feel the need to adjust it. PRP does have other models with an adjustable seat back angle.
FrontFinal.jpg

Last edited:
I agree pretty much with LJ, though I like the OEM seats and would prefer to have reupholstered OEM over most other options, unless you need something special. I did get Corbeau seats in the meantime. It's just a few years old, but I've got no complaints with Corbeau and haven't been quick about replacing the seat.

Well, after some debating with friends on the subject, I decided against the posi trac. Watched some video's and was not impressed. I respect your opinion Jerry, and I've heard about the 35's snapping axles, but I'm not pushing limits or even going up in tire size..
So..... Decided I want the Eaton E lockers.... Well, even Eaton has no clue as to when they'd ship. Disappointed :confused:. In the end, went with the Yukon Gear Zip Lockers. Really didn't want the air system (I'm believer in K.I.S.S.) but it was in stock wasn't $2000 each end + labor which I was quoted with no date to install. Hopefully I'm happy with the system.

I am going to try and find new foam for the front seats, I have to say I am not impressed with the construction I've seen on the few aftermarket products I've actually touched.

In another 2 weeks or so it should be 100% Need to wait for the Sturgis motorcycle rally to finish before they start. Tuesday, I am delivering the drivers seat to a local upholstery shop to have the foam rebuilt. All that will be left is to choose the tires.

Lockers arrived 30Jul22.jpg

• Love