Michigan Possible Drummond Island trip in the fall?

I want to try to get to the UP this year and have been trying to decide between Drummond and going West to the Huron mountains and the Keweenaw. But I'm definitely interested. Have you been to Drummond and or the rest of the UP?

Most of my jeeping in the western up was 20 years ago and I was only a passenger. My wife's family is from the Houghton area, so I'm up there at least once a year. Now, we stick to atvs and side by sides. There are some good trails there, but you kinda have to know where to go... The DNR trails are all pretty boring.

Drummond is an off-road mecca (for Michigan, anyway). You can get some pretty extreme stuff (like the tank traps) and some pretty easy stuff. The whole island is pretty much open to ORV, so it's probably "better"

I'm interested, Mike.
Awesome. I am heading up in a couple weeks to play up there. I'd like to install my geo correction brackets and go again to get a comparison...plus I like being in the UP. So, a fall trip is VERY preliminarily planned. I'd actually like to get my wife out there and "break her in" so to speak, to real wheelin. She likes to go two tracking and dirt road exploring, so getting some more rocks and off camber stuff would be the next step.

Great place, I went there a couple years ago. Definitely can't go back this year.
I could do Silver Lake sand dunes, if that's an option.

The UP is a lot of fun and the fall would be a great time to go see Drummond. Make sure you guys check out Turtle Ridge Off Road Park too.

Reactions: Mike_H
I booked a cottage for the 8th thru the 11th of October on Drummond. At this point, its looking like a light wheeling, more exploring the island trip. I'm sure we'll do marble head, but its going to be more about seeing all the cool things the island has to offer vs hardcore, pushing the man and machine to the limits.

So far, my wife and I will be in my jeep, another couple will be in a modestly built LJ (33's) and a third couple will be in a SxS. I have another buddy tentatively going with his XJ on 32's.

NO EFFING TANK TRAPS!!!

Make sure you get out to the Fossil Ledges. Very cool spot, although the lake might be a little chilly for you come October. 😉