Michigan Possible Drummond Island trip in the fall?

matkal

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
I want to try to get to the UP this year and have been trying to decide between Drummond and going West to the Huron mountains and the Keweenaw. But I'm definitely interested. Have you been to Drummond and or the rest of the UP?

OP
Mike_H

Mike_H

Going my own way
Supporting Member
Most of my jeeping in the western up was 20 years ago and I was only a passenger. My wife's family is from the Houghton area, so I'm up there at least once a year. Now, we stick to atvs and side by sides. There are some good trails there, but you kinda have to know where to go... The DNR trails are all pretty boring.

Drummond is an off-road mecca (for Michigan, anyway). You can get some pretty extreme stuff (like the tank traps) and some pretty easy stuff. The whole island is pretty much open to ORV, so it's probably "better"

OP
Mike_H

Mike_H

Going my own way
Supporting Member
I'm interested, Mike.
Awesome. I am heading up in a couple weeks to play up there. I'd like to install my geo correction brackets and go again to get a comparison...plus I like being in the UP. So, a fall trip is VERY preliminarily planned. I'd actually like to get my wife out there and "break her in" so to speak, to real wheelin. She likes to go two tracking and dirt road exploring, so getting some more rocks and off camber stuff would be the next step.

LONGJP2

TJ Addict
Great place, I went there a couple years ago. Definitely can't go back this year.
I could do Silver Lake sand dunes, if that's an option.

SvtLdr

Just a guy, with a Jeep
Supporting Member
The UP is a lot of fun and the fall would be a great time to go see Drummond. Make sure you guys check out Turtle Ridge Off Road Park too.

Reactions: Mike_H

toximus

TJ Guru
Supporting Member
First week in October: