Michigan Possible Drummond Island trip in the fall?

happened to randomly check the ferry cam mounted above the signs at the entry just now https://www.wmta.org/live-west-michigan-camera-gallery/drummond-island-west-michigan-live-camera/ think I happened to catch you rolling out @Mike_H .
Screen Shot 2021-10-10 at 4.21.05 PM.png

Reactions: Apparition
Few pictures of the weekend. Had decent weather, which was surprising, based on the forecasts. Like mentioned before...the island was WET. Lots of water to drive through. Drummond is pretty rocky though, so not much chance of getting stuck. The SE side of island is the exception and we stayed away from that. Saw some beautiful fall colors and had a good time on the trails until my wheel fell off.

Somewhere along I-75
IMG_0661.jpg

Driving across the Mighty Mac...It was REALLY foggy and I've never seen anything like it. The bridge is about 200 feet over the water and the towers are another 200 feet above the roadbed. The fog was right around 150 feet over the water. It was like flying through a cloud...but we were driving!

20211008_163241.jpg

20211008_163332.jpg

IMG_0689.jpg

Ever popular fossil ledges. This place is so rugged and beautiful I go every time I'm on the island.

IMG_0744.jpg

IMG_2321.JPG

This was our "crew" for the weekend.

IMG_2325.JPG

This was pretty typical of the mud puddles we were driving through...
20211009_180339.jpg

And, since this IS a TJ forum, a few random pictures of our Jeeps. My friend has an 05 LJ on 33's from texas. About 95,000 miles...
IMG_0831.jpg

IMG_0856.jpg

IMG_2341.JPG

Finally, this is what ended the "wheelin" portion of the trip...

IMG_0865.jpg

and after a half hour or so swapping my spare tire's adapter on the axle, and reseating the 4 remaining wheel studs...we were ready to put the tire back on and head off the trail.

IMG_0868.jpg

Ironically, the trip off the trail was some of the hardest rock crawling we'd done all day...and we did it in the dark with a handicapped vehicle...But we made it back safe and sound!

Awesome pics, Mike - LOVE the Mighty Mac! Thanks for sharing. Did you guys make it to Turtle Ridge off road park?

Reactions: Mike_H
Awesome pics, Mike - LOVE the Mighty Mac! Thanks for sharing. Did you guys make it to Turtle Ridge off road park?
No. We did fossil ledges and then did some exploring on the Southwest side of the island. I'd never been down there so we wanted to check it out. Good clean trails, easily navigable by anything, really. An all-wheel drive CUV wouldn't have had ANY problems. Pretty coastline too. The pic of the jeeps on the "beach" are from there.

I've been to turtle ridge once. Would like to go back. Its a fun park!

Reactions: SvtLdr
I haven't spent much time on the SW side. I know there's a couple quiet beaches in that area too. I'm looking forward to getting back up to Drummond, hopefully next summer.

Oh, and if some of you don't know about the Mackinaw Bridge...here she is in her full glory

20180908_103258.jpg

and at night...sorry the pic is kinda crummy. I didn't have a tripod.

20180907_214118.jpg

The bridge is the longest suspension bridge in the western hemisphere. Its almost 5 miles long, total length

https://www.mackinacbridge.org/history/the-mighty-mac/

I've done the Star Line Mackinac Island Ferry ride under the bridge...its pretty impressive to look up and see it. I can't imagine flying a plane underneath...its always SO windy through the straits.
We did that ferry trip too. It’s a neat bridge. Not quite as long as the causeway over Pontchartrain though.