Hammbone2020

Hey y'all, so to clarify my title, I don't mean I'm crawling stumps or rocks! Lol j/j! 😄 Anyhow, I've posted before about "strange issues" with my front end and specifically thinking it was the locker, and I thought all was resolved over the last year. I upgrade the tie rod, tie ride ends, drag link and steering damper shock, as well as both Axel seals in front. While doing so I of course got to look at the locker and pull it and now understand it! BTW it's a knock off of Aussie, I believe... Uuughh 😏🙄. So NOW when I lock in, it is like wrestling a damn steer (cow) lol if I let my wheel go it pulls HARD right and trying to turn left is near impossible! Then when I disengage 4wheel, I have to back up like 3 or 4 times before the wheel "unwinds" again to straight! If I don't do this it drives off as if I'm still locked in with the hard pull.... I've had alignments done adjusted sway bar links(quick disconnect), adjusted drag link and still does it! Note this happened on pavement the other day... I've not gone to dirt yet because of this. Normal or do I have an issue? First photo is best "after" photo I've got right now. Others are in progress when I did this back in April. Thoughts suggestions anything please! And TIA! Thanks, Rosiebelle

20220606_142456.jpg

20220416_142544.jpg

20220416_143224.jpg

20220416_143214.jpg

20220416_143928.jpg

20220416_122841.jpg

20220416_113028.jpg

Hey y'all, so to clarify my title, I don't mean I'm crawling stumps or rocks! Lol j/j! 😄 Anyhow, I've posted before about "strange issues" with my front end and specifically thinking it was the locker, and I thought all was resolved over the last year. I upgrade the tie rod, tie ride ends, drag link and steering damper shock, as well as both Axel seals in front. While doing so I of course got to look at the locker and pull it and now understand it! BTW it's a knock off of Aussie, I believe... Uuughh 😏🙄. So NOW when I lock in, it is like wrestling a damn steer (cow) lol if I let my wheel go it pulls HARD right and trying to turn left is near impossible! Then when I disengage 4wheel, I have to back up like 3 or 4 times before the wheel "unwinds" again to straight! If I don't do this it drives off as if I'm still locked in with the hard pull.... I've had alignments done adjusted sway bar links(quick disconnect), adjusted drag link and still does it! Note this happened on pavement the other day... I've not gone to dirt yet because of this. Normal or do I have an issue? First photo is best "after" photo I've got right now. Others are in progress when I did this back in April. Thoughts suggestions anything please! And TIA! Thanks, Rosiebelle

Not normal and you do have an issue of some sort that just doesn't seem right but your post has created some questions:

Is wrestling a damn steer (cow) lol a continuence of last years "strange issues" with the front end or is it something new?

Did upgrading the tie rod, tie ride ends, drag link and steering damper shock, as well as both Axel seals in front cause you to think it was resolved over the last year or is that stuff what started the damn steer (cow) effect?

When doing that stuff did you check the bearings?

What is backing up 3 or 4 times? Are you just stopping between reverses or going forward between reverses?

What happens if you do those reverses while still in 4wheel?

And maybe we'll get lucky if I ask, are both your front tires the same size and at a very similar PSI?

I would suggest going in the "dirt" to see if it unlocks. You are putting a tension on the 4wd system while on the pavement and could be binding.

Not normal and you do have an issue of some sort that just doesn't seem right but your post has created some questions:

Is wrestling a damn steer (cow) lol a continuence of last years "strange issues" with the front end or is it something new?

Did upgrading the tie rod, tie ride ends, drag link and steering damper shock, as well as both Axel seals in front cause you to think it was resolved over the last year or is that stuff what started the damn steer (cow) effect?

When doing that stuff did you check the bearings?

What is backing up 3 or 4 times? Are you just stopping between reverses or going forward between reverses?

What happens if you do those reverses while still in 4wheel?

And maybe we'll get lucky if I ask, are both your front tires the same size and at a very similar PSI?

Dear Sir JeepCJTJ,

First, thank you for making me smile when I was/am so frustrated! With you copying and pasting my complete and utter obviousness of being a newbie( which I'm fine with and appreciate y'all be so kind and helpful, TRULY! 😊). So onto answer to your questions...

Is wrestling a damn steer (cow) lol a continuence of last years "strange issues" with the front end or is it something new -

YES , This is continued from last year when i had the locker installed by a highly recommended Jeep only mechanic. I supplied the part, he shook his head and installed as requested. I think I should also mention, 6 month prior to this when I inherited Him from my dad after he passed, I had a minor run in with a ditch, to which I hit head on at approximately 10-15mph (on a dirt washboard road and only knew how to control my pickup on... NOT A JEEP)rolled back in road then creeped back to ditch, and laid him on his side! 😑🤫😮🤐 This of course happened before any and all upgrades. I did the latest work because I'm 1. Handy and have an issue with too many different opinions.

2. Stubborn and wanted to make dad proud I still can handle mechanics even after he's gone.

But locker and lift and drop kit for trans was done by the shop. That being said, no one mentioned nor noticed anything about anything steering box, tie rod etc. UNLESS I bought it up or questioned something, and they told me I was not used to Jeeps and not to worry.

So after upgrades we're done, I felt like I had a whole new much more stable and not so clunky TJ! But, due to work (I'm a mobile notary and he unfortunately serves as my daily as well right now) I was barely able to TRULY test him, except in my mom's yard one day (yup I did yard wheeling, please don't give up on me yet !) Then did the exact same yard wheeling the other day and that's when this strange "wheel binding/unwinding" thing occured. It seems it's always been off , ONLY A LITTLE since the ditch incident, but nothing like this before.

Yes checked for bearing being loose, they are damn near like new and I believe my dad had recently had them done. I'd have to check records, but I'm about 96% sure.

Yes, I was stopping in going into drive after each reverse attempt, because as he decided to spin broody's , I couldn't let it continue, as other vehicles would've been damaged if I had (🤣 sorry, I hope you can hear my humor in my statements, have to in order to not be so mad! Lol) I have not attempted to back up while locked in 4WD.

Tires, ALL 4 are set at 37 PSI and yes I'm running BFG K02'S ( Just bought the same dad had on it, last October) but went from 31's to 32's. Attached is yard wheeling pic

Are you driving on pavement when in 4x4 and noticing the wonky steering? If you're on pavement and in 4x4, don't do that! Test that locker only offroad on loose low-traction surfaces. No lunchbox locker works well on pavement when you're in 4x4.

Jerry, this is only the 2nd time I've locked it in and did "yard wheeling" LOL (See explaination to CJTJ) other wise I've been in dirt /rocks and only thing i experience locked in or not in dirt, is the sensation that im not fully disengaged when i return to pavement.

I would suggest going in the "dirt" to see if it unlocks. You are putting a tension on the 4wd system while on the pavement and could be binding.

Agree and did that.. everything seemed fine when I did, but I cannot shake this and accept its normal while locked, not yet... And hope I don't have too lol

Is wrestling a damn steer (cow) lol a continuence of last years "strange issues" with the front end or is it something new -
Tires, ALL 4 are set at 37 PSI and yes I'm running BFG K02'S ( Just bought the same dad had on it, last October) but went from 31's to 32's. Attached is yard wheeling pic

Unless you prefer a terrible ride, drop that psi down to 28. You might want to look into better riding shocks too.

p.s. Your Jeep should feel like it's binding, when trying to turn in 4WD on pavement. A front locker will make it even worse. In other words, "STOP doing it."

Last edited:
Unless you prefer a terrible ride, drop that psi down to 28. You might want to look into better riding shocks too.

p.s. Your Jeep should feel like it's binding, when trying to turn in 4WD on pavement. A front locker will make it even worse. In other words, "STOP doing it."

Well to tell the truth, I did originally run at 28, on my old BALD K02'S! Then got the new ones, along with new opinions and suggestions. I mean I left at their recommended PSI, got home and dropped it immediately to 28 (from 42 I think) and I also dropped my gas mileage HUGELY!! Listen , I'm not dumb, but I also don't know a lot, ESPECIALLY about Jeeps. I was raised with pick-ups and and barrel racing.... When Dad retired he bought this TJ with intentions of building it (he said it was gonna be his Marine Corp throw back) and he never got a chance to start, he passed on me suddenly February 2020.... All I wanted and needed was this TJ whether I understood it like my trucks or not. And all I wanted to do was build it , now, in his honor! So please do not treat me as a dummy, rather try respecting the fact I've done my history lessons and a shit ton of homework , and I know i got a lot more to learn. I respect the Jeep, the history of them and the owners! It's a passionate group/family and I'm damn proud to be able to become a small piece of y'all and learn and do the best I can. . Advice, tricks, tips every criticism (constructive preferred) all are accepted! So now that's over, I KNOW I'm not supposed to do it on pavement! And I also know that I got the beginners training wheels of upgrades, NOW! And wish I would've done MORE research cuz the money was there then, not so much now, so upgrading shocks right now is not an option. I was only on the pavement locked in for less that 2 minutes and maybe 25ft, attempting to park like a normal person lol, and attempted to disengaged 4x4, and this happens. MAYBE IT'S COMPLETELY NORMAL, I just don't know and I'm scared to wreck my dad's memory.... So, again ..... Tips, ideas to help lead me to a possible culprit??

Well said. One thing to know about 4x4 in our Wranglers is that it seldom (almost never) disengages as soon as you shift back into 2wd. It normally takes a bit of driving, no need to go into reverse though, to get back into 2wd. I sometimes do a couple S-turns to hasten it getting back into 2wd but I'm not so sure if that speeds it up or not.

Reactions: Matt131
Yes, and do this off-road only. It will really bind up on pavement. The wheels have to be able to slip to unlock.

Well said. One thing to know about 4x4 in our Wranglers is that it seldom (almost never) disengages as soon as you shift back into 2wd. It normally takes a bit of driving, no need to go into reverse though, to get back into 2wd. I sometimes do a couple S-turns to hasten it getting back into 2wd but I'm not so sure if that speeds it up or not.

This is good to know as I've noticed mine doesn't like to come out of 4x4 when backing up. Sometimes it will, but I usually have to pull forward about 10 feet for it to disengage.

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
In 4wd on a high traction surface, the steering should feel bound up but fairly evenly. I can't come up with anything that would make it continually pull to one side with a distinct difficulty turning the other way.

Something is wrong if that is repeatable. I'm not familiar with the exact function of that style auto locker but, it should lock under torque and deliver power equally to both sides which should NOT cause a continual unrelenting pull to one side.

What that describes as best as I can figure would be if somehow when it is seeing torque, it is locking in one side and letting the other freewheel. I suspect you could play with various methods of screwing up the install and still not be able to reproduce that effect. That points to something else but that something again makes little sense due to how rare it is. I suspect that the issue is coming from a bent housing from the bit of ditch surfing you did. But, it is very uncommon to bend the short side which is what might be causing the malfunction. If the shaft going into the side of the locker is tweaked, it would hold that side from engaging properly under load and putting all the power to the other side which would cause the hard pull.

With the tire straight ahead, check the shafts where they go into the axle tubes. They should be fairly well centered up and down and back and forth. When a tube gets bent, that shifts the shaft to one side or the other.

Reactions: Matt131
Few questions:
When you are in 2wd, does it drive correctly (no pulling)?
Do you still have the spider gears so you can remove the locker and reinstall the spiders and see if the problem goes away?
Do you also have a rear locker and is it also locked when this happens?

In that one picture, you have a floor jack with no jack stand. I see that you threw the tire under the frame, but please always use a jack stand before putting any part of your body near and especially under the vehicle (I know this from personal experience).

Reactions: Zorba