Post pictures of your frame drain holes

fljeeper

TJ Enthusiast
I am getting ready to put drain holes in the bottom of my frame. Most people recommend putting them just before the rear lower control arm mount. Please post pictures of your frame drain holes and your comments about how well they have worked for you.

Thanks,

Dan

I can't remember the size I drilled, either 5/16 or 3/8. I drilled 1-1/2 inches away from each control arm mount.

frame drain hole front.JPG

frame drain hole rear.JPG

I thought people were recommending a 1" or bigger hole? Wouldn't that be easier to get the crap and mud out? If so, would it be best to use a hole saw or a twist bit or other?

Reactions: Silverado and Xysos
I thought people were recommending a 1" or bigger hole? Wouldn't that be easier to get the crap and mud out? If so, would it be best to use a hole saw or a twist bit or other?

I certainly wouldn't want a 1" hole in the bottom of my frame. If you wash your frame out regularly (every time you go wheeling), you shouldn't have too many problems with stuff stuck in the frame. The largest hole that junk can get in is the big round one in the back by the control arm mount. You aren't going to get giant chunks of mud or huge rocks in the frame.

The most important thing to get out of the frame is mud and water. 1/2" drain holes should accomplish that fairly easily.

Mine are 5/8 in the usual positions, after drilling a pilot hole I used a step drill. 5/8 is big enough to get my pinky in to help the gravel out, glad I did it.

Reactions: sideproject
What does everyone use to dry out the inside of the frame, some type of compressed air? I know I probably have all types of crud in there but never want to wash it out because I know that I won’t get all the water out.

Reactions: Lou
What does everyone use to dry out the inside of the frame, some type of compressed air? I know I probably have all types of crud in there but never want to wash it out because I know that I won’t get all the water out.

I use South Carolina summer. LOL

I did 5/8”. I believe I read somewhere on this forum if the hole isn’t big enough then the surface tension of the water will prevent it from running out, therefore kind of defeating the purpose of the drain hole itself. IIRC it’s either 1/2” or 5/8” for it to drain.

Just did this today. 5/8" bit ($20 at ACE) and 20 minutes. Another 30 minutes to try to flush out rust flakes. To anyone who hasn't done this yet, just do it. It's been on my to-do list for 3 years and I'm sure a lot of the rust that developed happened in that time.

Jeep really messed up with the design on these frames, the lowest hole on a stock TJ is about 1" above the bottom of the frame. Water WILL get stuck, rust WILL develop. It's an easy fix, just do it.

Next step is getting a wire wheel in there then hitting it with eastwoods.

Just did this today. 5/8" bit ($20 at ACE) and 20 minutes. Another 30 minutes to try to flush out rust flakes. To anyone who hasn't done this yet, just do it. It's been on my to-do list for 3 years and I'm sure a lot of the rust that developed happened in that time.

Jeep really messed up with the design on these frames, the lowest hole on a stock TJ is about 1" above the bottom of the frame. Water WILL get stuck, rust WILL develop. It's an easy fix, just do it.

Next step is getting a wire wheel in there then hitting it with eastwoods.
Can you share a link to the bit you used?

Word of advice for anyone with rust chunks living in your frame: dont paint over it. You aren't preventing anything with paint. The 'decomp' process is already happening. Coat it with Fluid Film or any lanolin based product that's made for rust prevention. I know there's other similar products available. Some may last longer, but end of day they do the same: slow or stop the process from progressing. Ideally, getting as much of the crude out is step one.

And yes, drain holes are a necessity.

Word of advice for anyone with rust chunks living in your frame: dont paint over it. You aren't preventing anything with paint. The 'decomp' process is already happening. Coat it with Fluid Film or any lanolin based product that's made for rust prevention. I know there's other similar products available. Some may last longer, but end of day they do the same: slow or stop the process from progressing. Ideally, getting as much of the crude out is step one.

And yes, drain holes are a necessity.

Thanks for the tip, I'll look into this ASAP.

Can you share a link to the bit you used?

See attached picture. It was the only metal bit they had at my local ACE hardware in 5/8". I wanted to go big enough to get my pinky in there to feel around.

A $20 drill bit? I bought a drill and 1/2" carbide bit at Harbor Freight for $20. 🤫

Hey man, I'm just happy it's off my to-do list after 3 years.

20211003_115330.jpg