Post pictures of your frame drain holes

Mine are 5/8 in the usual positions, after drilling a pilot hole I used a step drill. 5/8 is big enough to get my pinky in to help the gravel out, glad I did it.

Exactly what I did! Then also I cut out the metal cap at the very rear of each frame rail. Next I bought a sewer snake drill type and attached 3 pieces of chain and then worked it throughout the whole side rails on both sides. The spinning chain was meant to break anything loose that could be in it. Then I raised the front up about 6 foot and rinsed it all out with hot water. After three days in my heated garage I coated it all with the Eastwood Internal Coating. Should be good for my lifetime (I'm almost 76). The complete pic was before I started.

Frame AFTER POR .jpg

2000 JEEP PROJECT.jpg

20230224_154533.jpg

Exactly what I did! Then also I cut out the metal cap at the very rear of each frame rail. Next I bought a sewer snake drill type and attached 3 pieces of chain and then worked it throughout the whole side rails on both sides. The spinning chain was meant to break anything loose that could be in it. Then I raised the front up about 6 foot and rinsed it all out with hot water. After three days in my heated garage I coated it all with the Eastwood Internal Coating. Should be good for my lifetime (I'm almost 76). The complete pic was before I started.

View attachment 410751

View attachment 410752

View attachment 410754

You could have drilled the holes without removing the tub, engine and trans. ;)

Some feedback for those of you in the rust belt. It's nearly impossible to win the battle over internal frame rust.

Bought my TJ a few years ago with about 50k miles. Two prior owners. One owned it for a year before I bought it and the long term owner was a master mechanic at a local Jeep dealership. I hammer tested every inch of the frame rails before I bought the jeep. It got the thumbs up obviously. Once I got it home, I added drain holes front and rear; thoroughly cleaned inside the rails before doing the first fluid film application inside and POR15 outside. I made it a ritual to flush the rails of any debris and wash down after even a threat of snow, and each November repeated the fluid film application. I was maniacal about maintenance

Yesterday I noticed a spot of rust through in the drivers rail behind the rear CA mount. I was crushed. I really thought I had a handle on it.

Hammer test tells me the issue is limited to that spot but you know what's going to happen when I cut it open to weld a repair...

Some feedback for those of you in the rust belt. It's nearly impossible to win the battle over internal frame rust.

Bought my TJ a few years ago with about 50k miles. Two prior owners. One owned it for a year before I bought it and the long term owner was a master mechanic at a local Jeep dealership. I hammer tested every inch of the frame rails before I bought the jeep. It got the thumbs up obviously. Once I got it home, I added drain holes front and rear; thoroughly cleaned inside the rails before doing the first fluid film application inside and POR15 outside. I made it a ritual to flush the rails of any debris and wash down after even a threat of snow, and each November repeated the fluid film application. I was maniacal about maintenance

Yesterday I noticed a spot of rust through in the drivers rail behind the rear CA mount. I was crushed. I really thought I had a handle on it.

Hammer test tells me the issue is limited to that spot but you know what's going to happen when I cut it open to weld a repair...

That always sucks. Scope it and see what it looks like inside.

images.jpeg
zinc dip

Thats a shame, would it have not been a better idea to have used a rust converter before the fluid film application? Too late now but going forward for someone else perhaps...

Reactions: Rut Row
Thats a shame, would it have not been a better idea to have used a rust converter before the fluid film application? Too late now but going forward for someone else perhaps...

Maybe. It wasn't on my radar. The first time the frame was treated it was done by a 'pro'.
The section is going to be easy to fix. I am more heart broken than anything else. I was very proud of the frame condition!
Can't judge a book by its cover I suppose

Reactions: Rut Row