Potatoes & Africans

AfricanPotatoTJ

Hi guys

New kid at the school here, I live between Ketchum, ID and Cape Town, South Africa.

Being in Ketchum made me fall in love with the vast amount of TJ's rolling around town and I knew I had to get one for Africa - I used to have a Defender 90 that I did quite a bit with to make it into an overlander which my wife and I toured Africa for 6 weeks with - solar, fridges ect it was a great little thing and now it's time to have a Jeep.

ETB03375.JPG

There are quite a few TJ's floating around in SA however they've all been heavily molested with aftermarket bits over the years so it took me nearly a year to find a stock one and here she is, 2004 Sahara in manual with 110 000km (60 000mi) on it. Pretty much 100% stock still from what I can see.

fc62051c-4b83-4df7-8985-b03763d3c652.jpg

4a8a44c1-4426-48a7-a04a-efed3c58a08f.jpg

Plan is to slowly build it out over time but nothing too crazy, first thing that needs to go are the little wheels so that's on the way.

Access to accessories is quite hard in SA so I've done a decent Rough Country order that'll go into my suitcase for the next SA trip (shoes and clothes have been sacrificed!)

Anyway, great to be here and to be part of the community!

Welcome to the forum, love the photos too!

What do you do that brings you between Idaho and South Africa? We have good friends who are from South Africa (they live here in Arizona now).

Welcome to the forum, love the photos too!

What do you do that brings you between Idaho and South Africa? We have good friends who are from South Africa (they live here in Arizona now).

Nice!

I have a small film production company and produce a TV show that plays on American television so we split our time 50/50 between here and SA

Hi guys

New kid at the school here, I live between Ketchum, ID and Cape Town, South Africa.

Being in Ketchum made me fall in love with the vast amount of TJ's rolling around town and I knew I had to get one for Africa - I used to have a Defender 90 that I did quite a bit with to make it into an overlander which my wife and I toured Africa for 6 weeks with - solar, fridges ect it was a great little thing and now it's time to have a Jeep.

View attachment 391217

There are quite a few TJ's floating around in SA however they've all been heavily molested with aftermarket bits over the years so it took me nearly a year to find a stock one and here she is, 2004 Sahara in manual with 110 000km (60 000mi) on it. Pretty much 100% stock still from what I can see.

View attachment 391219

View attachment 391220

Plan is to slowly build it out over time but nothing too crazy, first thing that needs to go are the little wheels so that's on the way.

Access to accessories is quite hard in SA so I've done a decent Rough Country order that'll go into my suitcase for the next SA trip (shoes and clothes have been sacrificed!)

Anyway, great to be here and to be part of the community!

Welcome to the Forum. I haven't seen a front bumper like that before, but it looks factory. Was it specific to a certain edition, or can anyone ID it?

Welcome to the forum! Nice job getting a TJ for the wife. Lot’s of good help here if you need it.

I have a lot of very good friends from South Africa. You boys are a tough bunch.

Welcome to the Forum. I haven't seen a front bumper like that before, but it looks factory. Was it specific to a certain edition, or can anyone ID it?

It’s a rhino catcher, so they don’t get caught up between the tire and fender. Kinda like a cow catcher on old trains.

Welcome to the forum! Nice job getting a TJ for the wife. Lot’s of good help here if you need it.

I have a lot of very good friends from South Africa. You boys are a tough bunch.

Thanks for all the warm welcomes chaps, Idaho has allowed for a level of freedom and safety that could never be attained in SA!