Potential 2006 Rubicon Lift and Tire Set-Up - Thoughts/Experience?

WPGB1977

Supporting Member
Ok. So I'm pretty new around here. I just bought a 2006 Rubicon 6-speed manual with Dana 44's front and back and 4.10 gearing. Only 32,500 miles! It's my 2nd vehicle, not my DD.

I bought it specifically to lift it and put some more aggressive tires on it and after hours of research, the set-up below is what I'm thinking. I'd love to get some thoughts and/or firsthand experience with all of this.

1. OME Ultimate Kit (spoke with Dirk at DPG for about 30 mins the other day...nice guy, very knowledgable and very willing to give advice)
2. 305/70/16 BFG KM2's (keeping 16" Moabs)
3. Spidertrax 1.25" spacer to prevent rubbing

My plans are to beef up the bumpers and winch a little later this year. Then focus on interior. Maybe seats and definitely audio system.

A couple of things:

1. I am concerned about whether or not the Ultimate kit is big enough for what I'm wanting. Clearly, how big I want to go is a personal decision and is all about preference but the long and short of it is that I've been wanting a mean ass Jeep for a long time. I would hate to go through all of the rigamorole to get the Ultimate installed only to want to go bigger (4" lift and 35" tires) shortly after I do it.

On the other hand, I understand that if you go to a 4" lift and 35" tires, you're starting to talk about a lot more changes...and $$$.

2. "Pizza cutters" vs. 12.50 width tires. I am a little torn about the width of the tires. Again, I know this is subjective and I've read tons of posts on it but any thoughts on this in the context of this set-up would be appreciated.

In the case of the KM2's I have also read that they run small. I had some KO2's on my 2015 Ram and they indeed did come up shy of what I was shooting for. They were also narrower than I had hoped so I was a bit disappointed after I had them put on. So...can anyone weigh in on this?

3. What am I missing? There is obviously a TON of experience on these forums and I'm sure someone here either runs this set-up or can provide deeper technical insight that I can't.

I know there's a lot here so thanks in advance for any insight.

2. "Pizza cutters" vs. 12.50 width tires. I am a little torn about the width of the tires. Again, I know this is subjective and I've read tons of posts on it but any thoughts on this in the context of this set-up would be appreciated.

In the case of the KM2's I have also read that they run small. I had some KO2's on my 2015 Ram and they indeed did come up shy of what I was shooting for. They were also narrower than I had hoped so I was a bit disappointed after I had them put on. So...can anyone weigh in on this?

I'll defer on the other questions to those with more experience . . .

Unless you just happen to specifically want a particular look, width is really more a function of how you'll be driving it. My LJs are 95+ percent daily driven and nothing around Michigan (short of Drummond Island) is that difficult that need a particularly wide tire. That being said, I'll never run wider than 10.5" - 255/85R16 on one and 33x10.5R15 on the other. This gives very good on road performance (especially prevents side to side drifting on roads with deep impressions) and they perform very well in the snow. My 255/85R16s btw probably measure taller than your 305/70R16s.

If I lived somewhere where like @Jerry Bransford, etc lived where I could get to more challenging trails more easily then I might consider wider.

Are you going to be wheelin' it?

If you are, what kind of terrain? Rocks, mud, loose rock, big rocks, snow, ice, water, et al?

How you answer these questions will determine how you build it. Just as an example, if you're not going to wheel it, you could probably get away with 35's on 3.75" of lift (2.5" SL and a 1.25" BL) with perhaps the need of some flat or tube fenders. But if you are going to wheel it, you really need 5" of lift (4" SL and 1" BL).