Potential pulley bearing noises?

02GreenTJ

TJ Enthusiast
Hey everyone, I started the jeep up tonight and got a new noise that was intermittent and sometimes quieter than other times. I managed to get a video of the noise which I believe is a pulley bearing. All of the pulleys move freely with some tension on the power steering pulley (which I’ve heard is normal). The noise is also gone with no belt. If anyone has any ideas please let me know. Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_9463.MOV
    6.4 MB
  • IMG_9464.MOV
    2.7 MB
I had the same issue last week. My tensioner pulley went back. From what I see most of the time it's either the tensioner pulley or idler pulley. Both easy and cheap to fix.

Reactions: 02GreenTJ
I had the same issue last week. My tensioner pulley went back. From what I see most of the time it's either the tensioner pulley or idler pulley. Both easy and cheap to fix.
A couple months ago I replaced the idler pulley with a Mopar OEM part and then purchased a replacement bearing at Grainger to rebuild the old idler pulley as a spare.

Last edited:
I thought my OPDA was a pulley bearing going out until I replaced them both and still had the intermittent squeal. But you pulled the belt and it went away. It's cheaper to try the pulleys first but don't be surprised if it the OPDA. Get you hands on a stethoscope, that will tell you for sure where it's coming from, just watch out for the fan while listening to the pulleys.