Power being shut off to California

My generac whole home unit will throw a breaker/switch when it senses the power stays off for however many seconds and then start up the generator. What impressed me was the ability of the unit to prioritize the 220 so you can get by with a smaller power plant. The dryer is the lowest while the hvac is highest. Oven and water heater depends, if the oven is on but the water heater needs to come on it will wait until the oven is off. There’s no interruption when the power comes back and the gen runs 10 minutes to cool down before it shuts down. No backfeed possible, it’s either on gen or grid. I’m sure a similar set up could be made to keep any solar generated power from the grid when the grid dies.

Last edited:
I would think that with technology as it is today there would be a way to install a transfer switch to disconnect from the grid at times of PSPS's. Bad part about the battery storage idea is cost. Those Tesla batteries are good for about 5 years if used as your sole power source, and they are about $8K a pop, so an expensive endeavor for sure.
I'm sure there is something in place that would disconnect the solar array from the main lines so as not to backfeed power thru the lines, so workers can work on the lines.
there is a required switch that does exactly this but unless you have batteries and an inverter, you cant use the solar power either. PG&E wont let you hook up unless you have the right switch. the guy that works for me is planning to install more panels that he already has with batteries and an inverter to allow him to run on solar in these situations as well as toggle over to solar during peak load when power costs the most. i think Tesla is warranting their batteries for 10 years unlimited

Reactions: bobthetj03
there is a required switch that does exactly this but unless you have batteries and an inverter, you cant use the solar power either. PG&E wont let you hook up unless you have the right switch. the guy that works for me is planning to install more panels that he already has with batteries and an inverter to allow him to run on solar in these situations as well as toggle over to solar during peak load when power costs the most. i think Tesla is warranting their batteries for 10 years unlimited

10 years sounds more realistic for the common man. Most of those solar panel companies warranty the panels for 20. It's definitely something to think about. Sucks to have to depend on PG&E and their failing infrastructure.

Reactions: Alex01 and DrDmoney
I would think that with technology as it is today there would be a way to install a transfer switch to disconnect from the grid at times of PSPS's. Bad part about the battery storage idea is cost. Those Tesla batteries are good for about 5 years if used as your sole power source, and they are about $8K a pop, so an expensive endeavor for sure.
I'm sure there is something in place that would disconnect the solar array from the main lines so as not to backfeed power thru the lines, so workers can work on the lines.

Damned good point about the back feed through lines that could be a safety issue for linemen. There may be state laws and OSHA regs. that prevent people from totally disconnecting from the grid for the above reason(s). Many don't realize a lead based battery with electrolyte is considered HAZMAT which requires special handling, transportation and recycling or disposal costs. There is no free lunch when it comes to energy production as many seem to think.

In some areas if you aren't hooked to the grid the home is not considered a habitable house. So it must be tied to the grid and if tied then the grid controls the net metering, blah, blah, blah, blah. City, County, State, HOA, etc., etc. laws all apply and likely conflict with each other too. Then toss on a pseudo private/public (or private with good connections) company and a hundred different environmental special interest groups to muddy things further.

So basically all applicable laws apply until they change at random.

If I had a solar system I'd go guerilla and install a small portion of it separate from the larger grid tied and not have them interact in any way with the main system. Put in a smaller inverter and a smaller battery bank to charge batteries during the day until full, then switch over to running a refrigerator or a small room AC off the excess from the panels during the day. Then run some small LEDs, charge your laptop/cell phones, or run a TV for a couple hours off of the batteries at night. If I had an existing big installed solar system, I'd unhook one or two of the panels from the group and wire it up separately for a smaller emergency off-grid system. But that could well be illegal in CA.

Of course where I live it would be an extra wind turbine because solar isn't the best form of renewable for my area. It's too dark and too cloudy throughout the year, but the wind always blows here.

It's not really that hard here. For what little time we loose our power, I just throw the breaker, cutting off the lines from PG&E. Throw my other breaker on that my generator is hooked into and it just like I never lost power. Run everything in the house we need. Runs the pump in my well, microwave TV, we have a gas hot water heater and gas cook stove and a wood stove. Life goes on.

Reactions: StG58 and reddvltj
It's not really that hard here. For what little time we loose our power, I just throw the breaker, cutting off the lines from PG&E. Throw my other breaker on that my generator is hooked into and it just like I never lost power. Run everything in the house we need. Runs the pump in my well, microwave TV, we have a gas hot water heater and gas cook stove and a wood stove. Life goes on.
Likewise, I don’t have an auto transfer switch, I do shut my ac breakers off as well

Reactions: lowranger
Beautiful day today, little to no breeze, humidity at 17%, temperature 78°, then this pops up Down the road.
2177E2BD-3A34-4AE3-8F9A-E6780870B21D.jpeg

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: Alex01 and reddvltj
Aircraft are hitting it pretty hard and several crews have gone by heading to it.View attachment 123941View attachment 123942
Where about are you down there? I have a Great Uncle that lives Georgetown.

Edit:
Finally found some info, looks like they just about have it knocked out.

November 7, 2019 at 12:48 PM Logtown IC reports forward progress stopped, they have a wetline around the fire. Commitment time is approximately 4 hours for mop up.

November 7, 2019 at 12:34 PM Logtown IC is requesting 4 additional engines and 1 handcrew. The fire is holding at 5 acres, structure threat is mitigated for the most part and firefighters are making good progress. Tankers 88 and 89 are over the incident with Air Attack 230.

November 7, 2019 at 12:19 PM

XP1-DHg5_normal.jpg
CAL FIRE AEU@CALFIREAEU

https://twitter.com/CALFIREAEU/status/1192536914777165825

Fire crews are on scene of a vegetation fire located on the West side of Hwy 49 in the community of Log Town in El Dorado County. Fire is moving up the hillside in grass and oak woodland at a moderate rate of spread. Please stay away from the area. #LogTownFire

1:18 PM - Nov 7, 2019
Twitter Ads info and privacy

Last edited:
Where about are you down there? I have a Great Uncle that lives Georgetown.

Edit:
Finally found some info, looks like they just about have it knocked out.

November 7, 2019 at 12:48 PM Logtown IC reports forward progress stopped, they have a wetline around the fire. Commitment time is approximately 4 hours for mop up.

November 7, 2019 at 12:34 PM Logtown IC is requesting 4 additional engines and 1 handcrew. The fire is holding at 5 acres, structure threat is mitigated for the most part and firefighters are making good progress. Tankers 88 and 89 are over the incident with Air Attack 230.

November 7, 2019 at 12:19 PM
I’m in Logtown just up the hill from this. Crews and aircraft knocked the piss out of it

I lived in Georgetown for 14 years whats your uncles name?

There’s a Gambles construction. In Garden Valley and a road named Gambles Pass there too, any relation?
Gambles Pass used to be the only way to get to his property without crossing someone else's private property. And he used to Own Gambles Construction, not sure if he still has anything to do with it or not.

Reactions: DrDmoney