Power being shut off to California

I'd like some more insight and clarity into this mess. On the face of it, it seems prudent for them to cut power to prevent more of the same. On the other hand, I've seen several discuss the notion that they have been very remiss in staying up on their maintenance and if the grid were properly maintained, they wouldn't have to shut down. I suspect that like most things of this nature, it is far more complex than just a simple "kill power to prevent fires".

The Camp fire that burned Paradise was just terrible and terribly large. The scope of something that took out 18,000 structures is mind boggling. How do you put that in some sort of understandable perspective? How big of a city would have that many buildings that are now just gone?
Sacramento municipal utility District SMUD has transmission lines that run through my county that are that are still energized, they must do a better job maintaining their shit .

Sacramento municipal utility District SMUD has transmission lines that run through my county that are that are still energized, they must do a better job maintaining their shit .

Not only that, the rates are less than PG&E. 😠

Reactions: DrDmoney
An improvement.
66bd15fb0672daa10ee6b4c4875e040a.jpg

Well things have started going back to normal, " normal for CA" the power has been restored to our mountain home last night so I was able to switch back from generator to city power. The wife is very happy, she has been planning a party at this place for months and has 30 people coming she was a wreck thinking we would be on the generator and not power.

Yesterday afternoon PG&E gave the all clear to restore our power, so they are out checking the lines for any damage. So maybe today we'll be back on PG&E power. For now, we're still on our generator power.

Well things have started going back to normal, " normal for CA" the power has been restored to our mountain home last night so I was able to switch back from generator to city power. The wife is very happy, she has been planning a party at this place for months and has 30 people coming she was a wreck thinking we would be on the generator and not power.

If it was me, I'd rather have a generator party. Nobody would ever forget it.

Reactions: matkal
The nation's electrical grid system is fragile, out dated and desperately in need of refurbishment. Consider this when people begin praising Green power. If the power cannot be delivered to you, the method of generating it becomes a moot point. I don't see any of the political wanna be's addressing this basic fundamental issue.

I guess I spoke to soon it been turned back off again yesterday and its still off

• Sad
Reactions: Equilibrium31
Watching the news on the Today show this morning. Totally unbelievable damage. wow! I almost moved to California in 1974 but broke up with the California girl that I was involved with then and spent the summer in Seattle. When I couldn’t find real work I returned to NC. And stayed. Had to deal with many hurricanes, a flood and tree damage but no wildfires. My prayers go out to those folks.