Power being shut off to California

That chart is hugely misleading because some states require handguns or EBR's to be registered with the state while many do not. Most of the guns on that list from free states are NFA registered SBR's, SBS's, and transferable full auto.

Speaking of power cuts and wild fires, I've read that part of the reason the fires in CA get so out of control is that the small fires near populated areas get put out immediately. So the dead dry underbrush just builds up year after year until a fire spreads fast enough and the whole countryside is just packed full of dry fuel. That and an increase in drought weeks year to year.

Reactions: reddvltj
I know our GDP is larger than most countries and certainly more than the noble state of Virginia but alas we are still just a state.

I wonder what the GDP hit will be by turning off power to random numbers of customers, for random lengths of time, randomly. I bet a lot of CA GDP needs electricity.

Of course, if GDP growth is measured in renewable home installations and generator sales, then CA is using the broken window theory of growth.

Speaking of power cuts and wild fires, I've read that part of the reason the fires in CA get so out of control is that the small fires near populated areas get put out immediately. So the dead dry underbrush just builds up year after year until a fire spreads fast enough and the whole countryside is just packed full of dry fuel. That and an increase in drought weeks year to year.

Yes and no. Our dry season is March to October so things are always really dry. We have a north wind that dries everything out and the humidity is 5-10 percent.
Brush fires down in LA are different than the forest fires we’ve had up north. California has 100% mismanaged our forest. Either it’s gunna burn or we can log it but the “environmentalists” would rather see it burn than to use it.

Wow, we had a couple thousand homes without power this morning, but not preemptively before the storm! Just as a result of the after effects. Our second snowstorm in ten days. The first one dropped 9" the one last night only 5"...BUT, temps tonight will be in the low teens.
20191009_095414.jpg

20190930_190323.jpg

Whenever California starts something like this, Oregon is usually not far behind.

Looks like I'm going to need to invest in a generator sizable enough to power the whole house :rolleyes:

Reactions: DrDmoney
I love when people try to claim California is the best state through GDP numbers. Shows a real misunderstanding of economics and statistics. Look at the GDP per capita for more reflective numbers (though those aren’t perfect either).

I hate getting too political, but California and the craziness there annoys me quite a bit. What the perfect state is depends heavily on personal preference, but denying the craziness with unadjusted statistics doesn’t make sense to me.

Otherwise, I feel awfully bad for people who had their power cut today. Hopefully they can come to grips with clearing power lines to prevent further fires instead of just shutting it all down .

Reactions: Hound Dog and Daryl
Whenever California starts something like this, Oregon is usually not far behind.

Looks like I'm going to need to invest in a generator sizable enough to power the whole house :rolleyes:
That's why I'm ok with dual party majorities (MN being the only state with split legislature currently). When one side controls everything, often the worst crap gets rammed through. When both sides of the isle have to play nice for anything to pass then chances are whatever goes through is more palatable to everyone.

We frequently lose power during the winter months for several consecutive days, many times up to a week. Several years ago we purchased a 20k diesel generator as backup, something that will run the whole household, and all the shop equipment, well pump and outdoor lighting. It burns about a quart of diesel per hour under 80% load.

At least on the positive side, if this was in Illinois, they’d probably charge you a reconnection fee. I hate this state. Southern half is ruled by Chicago corruption.

Reactions: Chris
I love when people try to claim California is the best state through GDP numbers. Shows a real misunderstanding of economics and statistics. Look at the GDP per capita for more reflective numbers (though those aren’t perfect either).

I hate getting too political, but California and the craziness there annoys me quite a bit. What the perfect state is depends heavily on personal preference, but denying the craziness with unadjusted statistics doesn’t make sense to me.

Otherwise, I feel awfully bad for people who had their power cut today. Hopefully they can come to grips with clearing power lines to prevent further fires instead of just shutting it all down .

California is what it is. North to South it’s vastly different terrain, people, ideas.
Beauty all over this state outside the major city’s.
Its not about “clearing power line”,, 2 years ago the town of Paradise burnt down and 85 ppl burned to death. PG&E had said the night before that they were going to cut the power at 1am but for some reason they did not. Their equipment failed in the high winds and started the fire. 8 am going into work I could see the smoke 50 miles away. After all the lawsuits bet your ass they are shutting the power off

We frequently lose power during the winter months for several consecutive days, many times up to a week. Several years ago we purchased a 20k diesel generator as backup, something that will run the whole household, and all the shop equipment, well pump and outdoor lighting. It burns about a quart of diesel per hour under 80% load.
A lot of us that live in rural areas have generators but not all 16 million Northern Californians do

In my area PG&E will cut any trees you report being too close to a power line on your street as a free service. At a rental, I had years back the tree in the front yard kept dripping sap onto my car so I called since it was touching a line and they were out the next day.

Is anyone in CA feeling any wind? It is dead calm here.
Calm here too.

Reactions: DrDmoney and Alex01
Power has been off at my house since early morning yesterday, where I stay in Morgan Hill it was supposed to go off at 8 pm yesterday but it’s still on.

Reactions: Thunderhead
That chart is hugely misleading because some states require handguns or EBR's to be registered with the state while many do not. Most of the guns on that list from free states are NFA registered SBR's, SBS's, and transferable full auto.

There is a bit of an issue with the drought no drought situations. Drought creates a very dry landscape that burns easily especially when we get the Santa Ana wind conditions. Lots of rain like we have had causes lots of growth and lots of fuel for fires that burn very easily especially when we get the Santa Ana wind conditions. I don't know what the answer is but neither are good. We get rain in the winter months. We get very little the rest of the year and it dries out every year. Essentially it boils down to a yearly fire season that is moderated only by what burned in the last couple years. Those areas are less likely to burn again.

I don't know that anyone is claiming CA is the best state due to the astoundingly large GDP. What is its GDP compared to other states so folks have an idea of what that is?

California is what it is. North to South it’s vastly different terrain, people, ideas.
Beauty all over this state outside the major city’s.
Its not about “clearing power line”,, 2 years ago the town of Paradise burnt down and 85 ppl burned to death. PG&E had said the night before that they were going to cut the power at 1am but for some reason they did not. Their equipment failed in the high winds and started the fire. 8 am going into work I could see the smoke 50 miles away. After all the lawsuits bet your ass they are shutting the power off
I'd like some more insight and clarity into this mess. On the face of it, it seems prudent for them to cut power to prevent more of the same. On the other hand, I've seen several discuss the notion that they have been very remiss in staying up on their maintenance and if the grid were properly maintained, they wouldn't have to shut down. I suspect that like most things of this nature, it is far more complex than just a simple "kill power to prevent fires".

The Camp fire that burned Paradise was just terrible and terribly large. The scope of something that took out 18,000 structures is mind boggling. How do you put that in some sort of understandable perspective? How big of a city would have that many buildings that are now just gone?

I'd like some more insight and clarity into this mess. On the face of it, it seems prudent for them to cut power to prevent more of the same. On the other hand, I've seen several discuss the notion that they have been very remiss in staying up on their maintenance and if the grid were properly maintained, they wouldn't have to shut down. I suspect that like most things of this nature, it is far more complex than just a simple "kill power to prevent fires".

The Camp fire that burned Paradise was just terrible and terribly large. The scope of something that took out 18,000 structures is mind boggling. How do you put that in some sort of understandable perspective? How big of a city would have that many buildings that are now just gone?

I think PG&E has absolutely failed to keep up with maintaining their equipment from the San Bruno pipeline explosion to all the wildfires. It’s been over decades, where do we go from here ? Idk

Some perspective