Power steering blowout?

PattonD

Supporting Member
On our 97 TJ, we were Just pulling in front of the house doing a 3 point turn and smoke starts bellowing from out under the hood, horrid smell and a wrenching noise that moves with the steering wheel. It was still turning fine, but only ran it for second.

Once I got the car stopped and find red fluid on the ground. I think it is coming from the driver side, but couldn’t find the source once stopped.

Where should I start looking

Are the lines still connected to the power steering? I know when I was replacing my pump the low pressure return line on the reservoir was really fragile and I broke the plastic nipple.

Pop the hood and have someone start it and have them turn the steering wheel while you look at the hoses for leaks. You might have blown a hose.

Reactions: Matt131
Replaced the high pressure hose. No leaks and easy turns.

There is a low whine that I can’t remember if was there before or not, but seems to be working fine, can’t hear it when driving.

Reactions: Matt131
Replaced the high pressure hose. No leaks and easy turns.

There is a low whine that I can’t remember if was there before or not, but seems to be working fine, can’t hear it when driving.

It wasn't there, you lightly damaged the pump when you pumped all the fluid out of the reservoir.