Power steering box options

BTW, if you do get that one, give us a long term report on how it holds up. If it holds up nicely, it will be something I'll refer to others who are in search of a viable option.

Will do, the only thing I didn't find is if there is a core charge

Will do, the only thing I didn't find is if there is a core charge

It doesn't say that there is, so I have to assume there isn't. Otherwise they would say that in the description.

It may be built into the price though, and there could be instructions in the box on how to return your old one for money back.

Well, I'm almost hesitant to suggest it but the Delco Remy reman I got is working out OK. At first it leaked a few drops out of the sector shaft seal but that stopped almost immediately. Given that you are not getting many other suggestions, these are worth considering.

They are resold through the GM dealer network as a viable repair part on GM's so they can't be any worse than a Mopar rebuild.

The AC Delco p/n is 36G0073 but do check your application at AC Delco Parts online. They are not expensive.

Reactions: Chris
Well, I'm almost hesitant to suggest it but the Delco Remy reman I got is working out OK. At first it leaked a few drops out of the sector shaft seal but that stopped almost immediately. Given that you are not getting many other suggestions, these are worth considering.

They are resold through the GM dealer network as a viable repair part on GM's so they can't be any worse than a Mopar rebuild.

The AC Delco p/n is 36G0073 but do check your application at AC Delco Parts online. They are not expensive.

Thanks for the info, I will look into that option as well.

Ordered this beauty this morning, after reading so many bad reviews on other manufactures figured I'd did give this one a shot. Will provide updates with install and any issues I come across with. :beer-toast1:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ZASQ4OI/?tag=wranglerorg-20

Well, at least you're not out a lot of money. The AC Delco one I ordered was painted and had a lot of color-coded paint marks on all the bolts and shafts indicating it went through a lot of checks before it was boxed. The problem I have with the reviews on that product is that they are all generic. You can tell most of them have nothing to do with the gear itself, rather generalities with the vendor. That being said, we all roll the dice when it comes to reman products. Warranties are mostly hot-air nowadays. If I have to replace the box every few years, it's not a big deal. Now, if they were $800 a pop - then that's a different story.

I'll be replacing the steering box this weekend and was wondering which steering fluid to buy, obviously not the ones with Leak Fix in it. I know there's synthitic fluid as well. Open to suggestion's

I'll be replacing the steering box this weekend and was wondering which steering fluid to buy, obviously not the ones with Leak Fix in it. I know there's synthitic fluid as well. Open to suggestion's

You must use ATF+4. Don't use a generic power steering fluid which is not compatible. The synthetic ATF+4 also handles heat better and is less likely to cause stiff steering when the power sweeting system gets worked hard on a tight trail.

Any brand will do, but I use this stuff: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000BQ78H6/?tag=wranglerorg-20

Got the steering box in, here's a few pics. Will be installing it this Saturday.

20170321_172246.jpg
20170321_172222.jpg
20170321_172239.jpg

That thing sure looks pretty when it's all brand new and freshly painted!

And let's see how long it lasts. I'm hoping it's trouble free for years to come! It would be nice to have a decent recommendation for people in your situation.

Reactions: fourpointzero
Though this is happened several months ago, this thread just popped up & I noticed it for the first time. You have a '98 so you should have used power steering fluid, not ATF+4. The power steering system didn't start using ATF+4 until 2003 when it changed from the Saginaw steering system to the Mercedes steering system.

We all need to pay closer attention to what the Owner's Manuals and Factory Service Manuals say when it comes to selecting the proper fluids.

Last edited:
Though this is happened several months ago, this thread just popped up & I noticed it for the first time. You have a '98 so you should have used power steering fluid, not ATF+4. The power steering system didn't start using ATF+4 until 2003 when it changed from the Saginaw steering system to the Mercedes steering system.

We all need to pay closer attention to what the Owner's Manuals and Factory Service Manuals say when it comes to selecting the proper fluids.
Jerry, I don't have an owners manual, that's why I asked which fluid I should be using. I've always used power steering fluid in Cherokee. Since I'm using ATF should I worry about it? No issues all. Thanks