Power steering pump not lining up after new exhaust manifold install

Andy Maurer

TJ Enthusiast
So I’m replacing my exhaust manifold and finally have the new one on & seated correctly. I got the intake manifold on and am trying to get the power steering pump on but it is not lining up. The holes for the bracket don’t want to line up with the pump. The pump is about 1/2 inch lower than the bracket. I’ve tried loosening everything & even took the belt off but still no luck. Am I missing something? I’ll try to get some pics tonight but wanted to make the post in case someone else has been thru this and has an idea.

So I’m replacing my exhaust manifold and finally have the new one on & seated correctly. I got the intake manifold on and am trying to get the power steering pump on but it is not lining up. The holes for the bracket don’t want to line up with the pump. The pump is about 1/2 inch lower than the bracket. I’ve tried loosening everything & even took the belt off but still no luck. Am I missing something? I’ll try to get some pics tonight but wanted to make the post in case someone else has been thru this and has an idea.
Are you still running the factory manifold and factory power steering pump?

It must be something simple. Have any luck today?
Yes, I just had to muscle it into place and got the bolts started. Thanks for the follow up!

Side question, got everything put back together and it started right up, but it acted like I had the gas pedal to the floor & immediately went to red line. I checked that the exhaust and intake manifold were seated correctly before tightening the bolts so I hope that’s not it because I really don’t want to take this apart again. Is there anything else that could be causing it to act like it is under full throttle upon start up?

Sounds like it could be a vacuum leak or an unmetered air leak. Did you try unplugging and plugging in your IAC and TPS?

Going to try that tonight, along with disconnecting the negative battery terminal and letting it discharge as I did not disconnect before removing the electrical connections. I hope it solves the issue but the more I think about it the more I am leaning towards the intake manifold not being correctly seated and am preparing myself to start this process all over again. At least this time I know what I am in for... and how much is sucks! I may try to remove the drivers front fender this time as I hear that makes the bolts much easier to access.

I found my issue... the manifold was not seated correctly. Even when knowing that it is a common issue and taking my time to check I was still able to mess it up :) In hindsight it all makes sense, the rear of the manifold was not seated on the post which caused it to be misaligned and is why the power steering pump bolts were so hard to get started.

A few things I learned with this install:
1) A 14mm flex head ratcheting wrench just makes life easier
2) Fixing it a second time was way faster & easier
3) When you think the manifold is seated correctly take a break, have a cold beer (or your beverage of choice), then take a look at the bottom of the exhaust manifold. Make sure the intake & exhaust manifold fit together correctly in the front and back.
4) When you are putting everything back together if there is a part that does not fit and you have not changed it you probably messed something else up.

The good news, I did not crack the new manifold and after I got it seated correctly it fixed my mystery noise.

I found my issue... the manifold was not seated correctly. Even when knowing that it is a common issue and taking my time to check I was still able to mess it up :) In hindsight it all makes sense, the rear of the manifold was not seated on the post which caused it to be misaligned and is why the power steering pump bolts were so hard to get started.

A few things I learned with this install:
1) A 14mm flex head ratcheting wrench just makes life easier
2) Fixing it a second time was way faster & easier
3) When you think the manifold is seated correctly take a break, have a cold beer (or your beverage of choice), then take a look at the bottom of the exhaust manifold. Make sure the intake & exhaust manifold fit together correctly in the front and back.
4) When you are putting everything back together if there is a part that does not fit and you have not changed it you probably messed something else up.

The good news, I did not crack the new manifold and after I got it seated correctly it fixed my mystery noise.
Congrats on fixing an issue and posting a follow up. Feels good to fix something that seems a mystery and no real idea what could be wrong.

Reactions: Andy Maurer