Power steering whine and cooler

High Line

Ever since I bought the tj last August, at low speeds on the trails or rocks my power steering starts to whine really bad and gets really stiff. I've checked the fluid level and its fine. Last time I went out something slipped in the steering gear box because of that, and now my steering wheel sits clocked to the left about 30 degrees. Still drives straight as it did. Steering wheel just sits turned. I don't see anything bent. I don't know if I should replace the steering gear box, which I can't really afford to do, or just re-clock the pitman arm. I want to replace the power steering pump, but don't have a lot of money to blow on it, Like less than $100. Yesterday I replaced the stock fan clutch with an electric fan, and when I removed the fan shroud I noticed the nipples sticking out of the bottom of the radiator for the auto trans cooler, and I am wondering if I could use that for a power steering cooler, instead of buying an external one? I would just make sure the line in the radiator are flushed good before trying it.

Any advice would be welcome.

Doug

A power steering cooler isn't the answer, that is at best a band-aid, but I don't even think it's that.

It sounds like you may need a new power steering pump, steering gear box (usually the steering gear boxes leak when they're bard though), or both. Honestly there's really no way around that if it's the case.

The slippage you had isn't the steering gear box either, it's the collar that holds the drag link in place. That's why your steering wheel isn't centered anymore. That's an easy fix.

Reactions: greenliftedtj97
So the thing that slipped wasnt the steering box, it just can't do that. What slipped was the adjustment collar on your drag link. Loosen the pinch bolts and spin the collar to straighten the wheel. Easy fix.

The noise sounds like it's due to cavitation of the fluid. I'd try flushing the power steering fluid as it's probably picked up water or something. Even if it doesn't solve the issue you will only be out a few bucks in fluid.

I've boiled my fluid before and the symptoms match but it's only happened on an extremely hot day, running a hard trail with a lot of steering input.

There must have been a time
when we could have said no.

Reactions: Chris
That's exactly what I was thinking by adding a new cooler Rob. With all due respect Chris, I don't agree that a PS cooler is a band aid. Many heavy duty and off road package vehicles come from the factory with them. My 05 FX4 has one factory. I had been looking at buying the exact same unit that Rob5589 bought, but then I noticed that my factory radiator has the nipples sticking out for the factory auto tranny cooler. I'm wondering if I could just plumb the PS into that and if it might be just as good of a solution.

That's exactly what I was thinking by adding a new cooler Rob. With all due respect Chris, I don't agree that a PS cooler is a band aid. Many heavy duty and off road package vehicles come from the factory with them. My 05 FX4 has one factory. I had been looking at buying the exact same unit that Rob5589 bought, but then I noticed that my factory radiator has the nipples sticking out for the factory auto tranny cooler. I'm wondering if I could just plumb the PS into that and if it might be just as good of a solution.
Not ideal, it is designed to help warm up the trans fluid when cold but but seeing as a trans runs hotter than the engine it provides cooling when the trans is up to temp. Power steering on the other hand isn't nearly as hot as the trans ideally so I'd say it's probably not a great idea.

There must have been a time
when we could have said no.

The cooler installs easily. I did need to buy a longer hose for one side, auto parts store had it. I used heavy zip ties to attach it to the grill support. I can't link a pic atm but if you look around here you can probably find a pic I posted.