Power Tools: Battery Power vs Air Compressor

RussTJ

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
I've been reading recently where people spoke about their preferences. I didn't want to hijack another thread so I thought I'd start one. I'm curious if battery powered tools are capable of doing the things that were once done primarily by compressors and air tools. I have an older Dewalt 18v set of drills and tools so they're probably not as powerful as newer models. But, dealing with the rust belt issues I can't imagine that a battery operated drill or driver would be able to compete against the compressor with it's recovery time unless you had numerous batteries. What is everyone using and is rust a factor in your repairs?

Reactions: Matt77
Cordless tools have come along way, and you can get some seriously powerful cordless impacts! If you were starting out fresh, I'd say go cordless. You need a lot of air to run a 1200 ft/lb impact, and you can't take a compressor to a wrecking yard.

And no, you don't need a 1200 ft/lb impact, but you still can't take a 500 ft/lb pneumatic to a yard.

Reactions: RussTJ and Matt77
I have a DeWalt lithium ion powered nail gun, circular saw, and reciprocating saw (sawzall). I can tell you first hand that they are just as good as any air powered tool.

I used that nail gun to build the extra room in our house. It will drive at least 600 nails all the way into the wood (you can adjust the depth) before needing a battery charge (which takes less than 45 minutes).

In addition to that, the circular saw and reciprocating saw both perform excellent. I don't think I'll ever own an air tool again, seriously. It's so nice not being attached to a noisy air compressor with a cord and everything.

Just make sure you buy all the electric tools from the same manufacturer so that you can use the batteries between tools.

I've been reading recently where people spoke about their preferences. I didn't want to hijack another thread so I thought I'd start one. I'm curious if battery powered tools are capable of doing the things that were once done primarily by compressors and air tools. I have an older Dewalt 18v set of drills and tools so they're probably not as powerful as newer models. But, dealing with the rust belt issues I can't imagine that a battery operated drill or driver would be able to compete against the compressor with it's recovery time unless you had numerous batteries. What is everyone using and is rust a factor in your repairs?
A good Milwaukee impact gun is a beast. I have not pulled out my pneumatic gun since I bought this thing. I picked up the mid-range that has 700 foot pounds of breaking torque. I have yet to find a bolt that it won't pull out. I have changed all four tires and still had three quarters of a battery. I disassembled engines and still had battery power left. Nice thing is it takes less than 2 hours to charge.
15334307592936235170130494784972.jpg

Rust is a major pain in the ass. I would sure love to try one of those cordless impact wrenches. Not sure anything will break a rusted bolt/ nut loose except a breaker bar, your foot and a few curse words lol. Cordless is the way. If you have multiple tools from the same brand then you probably have multiple batteries and chargers. I have a ton of Ryobi tools and a 6 dock charging station, lithium batteries will get through damn near any project. Need to add the impact wrench to my collection though.

Now as far as nail guns, I'm not sure about battery operated. Although I do have experience with pneumatic nail guns.

Reactions: RussTJ
They both have their place. Really depends on your use. Average DIY use, cordless is probably the way to go. Portability is the #1 plus.

I can't afford enough batteries to run a cordless ratchet for a days work. Impacts I can get away with because of the intermittent use. Love 1/4" ratchets and screw guns for under dash work.

I prefer air/corded for most of my projects. After 30 years I'm used to the hose/cords. More power and never run out of juice. Batteries will need to be replaced, and the technology changes fast. I have half a dozen useless sets from 12v to 14v to 18v, nicad, lithium ion etc. because it's almost a wash to buy upgraded unit than buy 2 new batteries.

One good compressor and needed air/corded tools will last a life time or more. Battery operated are disposable.

One final note, I've dropped hundreds of fuel tanks with air tools. I literally caught myself and a car in my shop on fire due to a battery powered ratchet. Pulling a tank from a Jensen, which is in the trunk(confined space), the internal arc inside the tool ignited the fumes in a massive fireball, minor explosion knocking me on my ass with my eyebrows gone and my beard and trunk on fire. Try finding a tank for a Jensen, lol.

I have both. My cordless Makita 18V impact works great and is nice for portability, as long as I remember to charge the damn batteries! However, I use my air tools much more when working in my own garage. They always work and never run out of power. They are still going strong since I bought the compressor and tools in 2003. Since you can also use the compressor to pump up your tires, blow air, spray paint etc., it becomes a must have tool once you have experienced and depended on it for a while. If my compressor or air ratchet broke, they would get replaced in short order!

Rust is a major pain in the ass. I would sure love to try one of those cordless impact .

The good and bad.... about the Milwaukee is its hammer is what i call a "short hit" don't get me wrong it hit hard as hell and fast as hell. I have never snapped a exhaust bolt. And have removed every one i put the gun on. And any suspension bolt.

The bad.... because of the "short hit" torque sticks do not work with this gun. Because they work by allowing the stix to twist at a specific torque. This gun hit so fast it doesn't allow them to work properly.

But that is why i own torque wrenchs

The good and bad.... about the Milwaukee is its hammer is what i call a "short hit" don't get me wrong it hit hard as hell and fast as hell. I have never snapped a exhaust bolt. And have removed every one i put the gun on. And any suspension bolt.

The bad.... because of the "short hit" torque sticks do not work with this gun. Because they work by allowing the stix to twist at a specific torque. This gun hit so fast it doesn't allow them to work properly.

But that is why i own torque wrenchs
I just bought a 3/8 torque wrench from harbor freight a couple weeks ago for when I start doing suspension /steering work. I have never used one before but I figure any job worth doing is worth doing right.

I have both. My cordless Makita 18V impact works great and is nice for portability, as long as I remember to charge the damn batteries! However, I use my air tools much more when working in my own garage. They always work and never run out of power. They are still going strong since I bought the compressor and tools in 2003. Since you can also use the compressor to pump up your tires, blow air, spray paint etc., it becomes a must have tool once you have experienced and depended on it for a while. If my compressor or air ratchet broke, they would get replaced in short order!

very true, hard to spray paint or blow dust off something with an electric impact.

I think both have their place and ideally people would strive to have both.

Reactions: RussTJ and mots
I do a lot of work incidentally with roadside service and they all carry cordless impacts. Can’t remember the brand but they definitely get the job done when they’re doing roadside tire changes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It really all depends on what you need/use it for. If i were to work 8 hours a day on cars/trucks in a shop environment i would have air tools. With battery powered tools for the strange things.

But i work on my own cars in my 2 car garage. I do not like that compressor running then with the air tools going it gets way to loud. To be perfectly honest i own an air ratchet but never use it. And i dont own/use a battery powered one. Im still very old school and like the click of a ratchet. But i hate using a breaker bar. So i have my impact for that.
I could go faster and easier with one. But i enjoy the time with my girlfriend ( vehicle ).

Couple other pros/cons I thought about with air tools/impact ratchets vs their battery powered counterparts:

Air Tool Pros:
  • Tools are typically much lighter and more maneuverable.
  • Ratchets usually can be rebuilt quite inexpensively.
Air Tool Cons:
  • Tools need to be oiled regularly. Not really an issue though...much quicker than recharging a battery.
  • Compressor maintenance, depends on model you have.

Air tools win hands down in power and price. You can by 3 quality air impacts for the price of a weaker Milwaukee.

But you're tethered which sucks. And although the battery powered tools are weaker than air tools they can be more than adequate to get the job done.

My general preference is cordless.

I use both in my garage, though the bulk of the automotive tools are pneumatic along with my nail guns. Most of the wood tools are 20v B&D and DeWalt, though I have a 36v, 1/2” Bosch drill /driver that is a beast. A battery operated 1/4” impact should be in every tool box.

Though they won’t stand up in a production setting, I twisted arms at my employers shop to get Milwaukee Fuel impact wrenches for the service guys.

Reactions: TJ Starting
I have a drawer full of air tools but no shop compressor.

I have Bosch lithium impact and drill which are nice but I have recently started buying Milwaukee fuel M12 stuff and it’s impressive.

I have the m12 fuel 3/8 Ratchet and the 3/8 stubby impact. they are sized right and perform extremely well.