Power Tools: Battery Power vs Air Compressor

Got some time to look at the link and you are right, these make most sense to buy in the longer versions. Went with 1000-ct 14 inchers, 50 lb. More than enough for tying wire. I also bought the Milwaukee flush cutters as well as some of their various pliers I have wanted forever but never pulled the trigger. And then I checked out their socket sets and bought all 3 because I need good socket sets once and for all. Fuck, my wallet hurts, but I'm sure I will appreciate all of the purchases.

The flat sides on the sockets and the removable socket trays from the carrying cases are brilliant ideas. Milwaukee is definitely good at taking an average product that everyone knows and is used to and improves it in ways not thought of.
Which socket sets did you buy?

Which socket sets did you buy?
Like all Milwaukee stuff, it's kind of confusing when you search as you get a million results. I bought their 3-in-1 1/4", 3/8" and 1/2" kits.

They bundle the 1/4 and 3/8 for $289 if that interests you more. They bundle the 3/8 and 1/2 for $409 as well. Seems like you get enough of a discount that buying all 3 together for $499 made more sense. I hate to pay that much for socket sets but this will suit me a lot better than what I've got. I will have to be more careful about not misplacing them though. Keeping them in their trays in my toolbox should help with that so I'm not carrying the case around the garage, dumping it over and they all fall out, etc. Grab from the tool box and put back when done.

Socket Sets

Reactions: Apparition
Like all Milwaukee stuff, it's kind of confusing when you search as you get a million results. I bought their 3-in-1 1/4", 3/8" and 1/2" kits.

They bundle the 1/4 and 3/8 for $289 if that interests you more. They bundle the 3/8 and 1/2 for $409 as well. Seems like you get enough of a discount that buying all 3 together for $499 made more sense. I hate to pay that much for socket sets but this will suit me a lot better than what I've got. I will have to be more careful about not misplacing them though. Keeping them in their trays in my toolbox should help with that so I'm not carrying the case around the garage, dumping it over and they all fall out, etc. Grab from the tool box and put back when done.

Socket Sets
Looks like you got the best deal. That's a nice set. Thanks for the link. I need to stop buying tools and start using them.

Reactions: machoheadgames
Looks like you got the best deal. That's a nice set. Thanks for the link. I need to stop buying tools and start using them.
Lol I 100% hear you there. My Milwaukee impacts are great for what I need and I do not need more, but the newer lower profile replacements for what I have are extremely enticing. I won't be buying them, but man they make me want to spend. I don't know if it's the pretty red color or the beast of a tool everytime I get something from them, but I always want to buy more.

Reactions: Apparition
Got some time to look at the link and you are right, these make most sense to buy in the longer versions. Went with 1000-ct 14 inchers, 50 lb. More than enough for tying wire. I also bought the Milwaukee flush cutters as well as some of their various pliers I have wanted forever but never pulled the trigger. And then I checked out their socket sets and bought all 3 because I need good socket sets once and for all. Fuck, my wallet hurts, but I'm sure I will appreciate all of the purchases.

The flat sides on the sockets and the removable socket trays from the carrying cases are brilliant ideas. Milwaukee is definitely good at taking an average product that everyone knows and is used to and improves it in ways not thought of.
Sadly or not depending on perspective, Milwaukee is why you just can't arbitrarily state that Made in China is bad. I do wish all of their stuff was domestic though.

Sadly or not depending on perspective, Milwaukee is why you just can't arbitrarily state that Made in China is bad. I do wish all of their stuff was domestic though.
I wish the same, but at least it is good living breathing proof that stuff can come from there and be great. However, doesn't change anything about the fact that plenty of flaming garbage comes from there as well which you have to watch out for. End of the day, where it's made matters about the least. How it's made matters more. I just wish they made stuff here for the sake of our economy but alas, no one will pay for it.

My son is a contractor (builder) , I recently bought his tool supply of Milwaukee and am very happy with all …..till I saw his purchase of Rigid . If you register the tools and batteries , they are lifetime replacement . Table saws to batteries , Hard to even compete in this day . Only problem is Home Depot. Battery nailer is crazy. Not sure about vs. the fuel but all in all with lifetime batteries , hard to beat.

I watched a Project Farm comparison on impact guns and the Ridgid was runner up and 95% as good as the Milwaukee for a much lower price. Pretty tempting.

I watched a Project Farm comparison on impact guns and the Ridgid was runner up and 95% as good as the Milwaukee for a much lower price. Pretty tempting.
1644523073196.jpeg

How does the rest of the Ridgid line compare to Milwaukee? There is value in keeping within a battery ecosystem.

How does the rest of the Ridgid line compare to Milwaukee? There is value in keeping within a battery ecosystem.
They do not have anywhere near the amount of tools Milwaukee has. Most of there stuff is like Dewalt and focused on construction.

No idea, but I agree on the battery issue.

I have one cordless tool, which is a porter cable drill I bought in 2012. It has one remaining good battery. Though I fully acknowledge and desire the capabilities and convenience of cordless tools, I have corded or pneumatic versions of everything I need and it's difficult to justify spending hundreds to buy another version of a tool I already have just because it's less annoying to use. So I just live with my hoses and cords and curse them every minute of it.

Reactions: Wildman and Zorba
I bought in to the 18v Makita ecosystem a few years back and have been happy with them so far. I was looking for a light weight and brushless drill and found their subcompact line perfect for the task. It was able to drill out my front track bar frame mount to 5/8” no problem which is about the most abuse I think I’ll throw at it.

I then got their 36v blower and that thing can move some air but doesn’t last crazy long on full speed with 5ah batteries

Reactions: L J
Ok, the Milwaukee flush cutters were immediately obviously better than whatever I used before. The ones I had before didn’t cut perfectly flush and they broke on the first big zip tie I tried them on.

Also, the metal tooth zip ties are awesome. They will complement my ongoing wiring harness project nicely. So thanks to you, JJVW and astjp2 for that advice.

Reactions: mrblaine
This is a 1k lb torque unit I was told. Not as usefull as the old CP-796 1" air guns but will get things done in a hurry if it is just a few bolts.

IMG_5647.JPG

Last edited:
This is a 1k lb torque unit I was told. Not as usefull as the old CP-796 1" air guns but will get things done in a hurry if it is just a few bolts.

View attachment 310093
I’d like to try that tool!
If you have experience with a pneumatic 1” impact wrench, what air pressure did you use to run it?

My only experience with a 1” drive wrench was the unit we had at work for doing the old Chrysler, screw in, ball joints.
That gun would not do the job on many ball joints that were exposed to Michigan salt with just shop air pressure. (probably <125 psi.)
We had a nitrogen tank and used the gun with the regulator set at 175 psi. to do the tough jobs.
I could certainly see the use for the battery powered unit with a fully charged battery.

Reactions: WSS
My son is a contractor (builder) , I recently bought his tool supply of Milwaukee and am very happy with all …..till I saw his purchase of Rigid . If you register the tools and batteries , they are lifetime replacement . Table saws to batteries , Hard to even compete in this day . Only problem is Home Depot. Battery nailer is crazy. Not sure about vs. the fuel but all in all with lifetime batteries , hard to beat.
All fun and games until you try to collect. Though I must admit that you can still walk into a Lowes and get a new Craftsman to replace your broken unit free of charge. Won't last half as long but you get the idea.

All fun and games until you try to collect. Though I must admit that you can still walk into a Lowes and get a new Craftsman to replace your broken unit free of charge. Won't last half as long but you get the idea.
What's the deal with Craftsman now? Both Lowes and Ace Hardware sell them...