Power upgrades for heavy winching?

MIght be a dumb question, but I'll ask, how does one go about assessing an existing winching system to determine gauge of wire. Would pics posted here suffice? Do most cables have labels on the jacket/insulation? Thx in advance.

I also need to inspect my alternator, since at some point the PO installed what I think is a GM one-wire setup. I have no idea what my alt. is putting out. :D

Need? Sure! $2500 is a lot of coin.

And honestly at that size wouldn't a hydraulic winch have a better duty cycle and possibly be faster...PTO pump depending of course.

And at some point...it really doesn't matter how big of a winch you have...at 4400 lbs there's only so much you can pull before you're pulling the Jeep and not your load.

I'm a little reluctant to strap my Jeep to a tree to get it to hold still... afraid to bend or twist my frame.

View attachment 533726

Found another vehicle abandoned in the woods yesterday. Going to have to do a little road construction. The hill it got dumped off on has heavy brush growth and it'll be easier to drag it 500' down an old skid road to another spur road. No wheels and the entire front end was disassembled.

View attachment 533727

-Mac

You might want to chain the hood under the front end so it will skid?

Reactions: macleanflood
You might want to chain the hood under the front end so it will skid?

Agreed if it wasn't like on an 80 degree slope, I could barely stand up yet alone hang on...and I was afraid if I jostled the load too much it would slide into a trail below or worse the creek 100' below that. I was really on the edge of this being anywhere close to safe enough.

-Mac

Reactions: Rickyd
MIght be a dumb question, but I'll ask, how does one go about assessing an existing winching system to determine gauge of wire. Would pics posted here suffice? Do most cables have labels on the jacket/insulation? Thx in advance.

I also need to inspect my alternator, since at some point the PO installed what I think is a GM one-wire setup. I have no idea what my alt. is putting out. :D

Most winches have some documentation as to their max amperage.

Then you use a chart like this one...granted this one only goes to 200a...to determine the size of the wire.

https://www.bluesea.com/support/art...oosing_the_Correct_Wire_Size_for_a_DC_Circuit

-Mac

Need? Sure! $2500 is a lot of coin.

It sure is. That's why you need it and I don't! :ROFLMAO:

And honestly at that size wouldn't a hydraulic winch have a better duty cycle and possibly be faster...PTO pump depending of course.

Probably, yeah. But it would cost more, too.

And at some point...it really doesn't matter how big of a winch you have...at 4400 lbs there's only so much you can pull before you're pulling the Jeep and not your load.

That's where plenty of line and rigging accessories come into play. Snatch back to a tree and the jeep sees 1/2 the load. Add a 2nd snatch at the tree and the jeep sees 1/3 the load.

Thanks for helping to keep our trails clean!

That's where plenty of line and rigging accessories come into play. Snatch back to a tree and the jeep sees 1/2 the load. Add a 2nd snatch at the tree and the jeep sees 1/3 the load.

Yeah I even brought a 80' extension rope aka @mrblaine OG test rope...and had plenty of rings... it's really hard to think through all the details when it's hot, you just spent all day welding the trailer back together, and you've clambered up and down that hill for the 15th time. That and (the second day) we rigged 20' up a spindley tree.

-Mac

Reactions: srimes and PNW_LJ
9.5 xp got a work out today. Took it like a champ. No issues with my battery or alternator.

IMG20240612125857_01.jpg

IMG_20240612_210627.jpg

IMG_20240612_210603.jpg

-Mac