Powerball: It's kind of disgusting...

Chris

Administrator
Staff Member
Ride of the Month Winner
It's pretty hard to ignore or overlook all the Powerball hype going on lately. Every single store we go to has massive lines (typically 30 or more people) who are waiting to get their Powerball tickets.

This got me to thinking... It's funny how all of these people are so eager to line up and give away their money for a 1 in 292 million chance of winning over a billion dollars. Sure, someone will win it, but the majority of us will never come close, yet these people are just content with throwing away their money even for such horrible odds.

Yes, I realize it's just a few dollars, but the point is that everyone is doing it. So what if all these people just pitched in their few dollars (which eventually amounted to 1.5 billion dollars) to support people in need or something worth supporting?

I'm not trying to get all liberal, that's not my style. I'm not saying it should go to people who are lazy or complaining about their low wages. I am just saying that there are legitimate causes out there such as starving children (and I'm sorry, I don't care how fucking conservative you are, NO children should ever be starving or deprived of food, healthcare, etc.), curing diseases and so many other noble causes.

I know this will never happen and this is nothing more than a rant. I guess it just kind of disgusts me how when people are presented with some impossible odds to win some insane amount of money, they all line up like drones to give away their money (which just ends up going to whoever wins), yet I'm certain that the majority of these people would never do the same if there money was going towards something noble. Of course not... Because they wouldn't have a chance of getting anything in return from that.

We just had FL hit 1.4 billion - it's insane. People claim no money for bills and I personally know 3 unemployed people that spent $50 and more on tickets. The chances of winning are nuts. Ours rolled over twice but I heard 3 people won last night - none live in Florida from what they say. Florida began the lottery and got it passed by telling voters that 1/2 of all sales will go to schools in each area. Knowing people in the school board I was able to find a little more info. Florida passed it thinking "look at all the extra money for kids". The 1st 2 years part was spent supplying older schools with computers. Since then any school that gets the extra funds gets less from the state budget. So while yes, lottery money goes to schools it means the state gives them that much less from the tax revenue so their budget is the same it was prior to the lottery. I hate people in this country go to bed hungry, especially elderly and kids and money gets spent like this on lottery. Calling the US a super power is stupid anymore. When our own people are fed, clothed and have medical care, then we'll be a super power. Ok sorry I'm done ranting also.

It's pretty hard to ignore or overlook all the Powerball hype going on lately. Every single store we go to has massive lines (typically 30 or more people) who are waiting to get their Powerball tickets.

This got me to thinking... It's funny how all of these people are so eager to line up and give away their money for a 1 in 292 million chance of winning over a billion dollars. Sure, someone will win it, but the majority of us will never come close, yet these people are just content with throwing away their money even for such horrible odds.

Yes, I realize it's just a few dollars, but the point is that everyone is doing it. So what if all these people just pitched in their few dollars (which eventually amounted to 1.5 billion dollars) to support people in need or something worth supporting?

I'm not trying to get all liberal, that's not my style. I'm not saying it should go to people who are lazy or complaining about their low wages. I am just saying that there are legitimate causes out there such as starving children (and I'm sorry, I don't care how fucking conservative you are, NO children should ever be starving or deprived of food, healthcare, etc.), curing diseases and so many other noble causes.

I know this will never happen and this is nothing more than a rant. I guess it just kind of disgusts me how when people are presented with some impossible odds to win some insane amount of money, they all line up like drones to give away their money (which just ends up going to whoever wins), yet I'm certain that the majority of these people would never do the same if there money was going towards something noble. Of course not... Because they wouldn't have a chance of getting anything in return from that.

Reactions: Chris
WOW... I played the lottery, dreamed a little, and had fun doing it. The lottery cost me $120.00 to enter with about 15 other people in a variety of tickets. We all kibitzed, and joked, and had a long shot hope of the impossible. Yep, I could have spent my $120.00 on a charity, I could also have spent all of the money I've spent on my Jeep to support a 3rd world nation.

You guys are taking it far too seriously. To play the lottery for me is just a few days of dreaming big, when no other chance in the universe of striking it rich exists.

The next time the lottery gets up to a staggering amount and you want to lament people having dreams...remember you drive a freaking Jeep. :D

I also agree that it is a bit absurd... It just shows how greedy people are.