Powerline / fire roads

Shane Mckinley

Zipman35
Supporting Member
So we used to go mudding on “powerline road” when we were in high school. Didn’t care if we got caught or whatever lol. I’m 42 now, wife, family ect...

I see guys and gals here talking about doing powerline runs

Where are your entry and exit points to keep the law Man at be lol?

I also wonder about “fire roads” what are they?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2005 RHD TJ Sport
2010 BMW 528xi

Reactions: StG58
The powerlines are mostly posted no trespassing around me anymore...I'm pretty sure they won't haul you off to jail, as long as you're not being disrespectful, but they might issue a misdemeanor citation. Michigan doesn't have "fire roads" but we do have seasonal roads, which are DNR roads through state forests for hunting, fishing, exploring, etc. They are unimproved trails, and can be a lot of fun for overlanding. They are also not plowed in the winter...Here, if you are on "state land" you can camp pretty much anywhere you want. We also have National Forests, which contain the same seasonal roads.

If I'm not mistaken, fire roads are what the seasonals are called out west. They are for Fire Dept Access during the dry season.

Ahh gotcha. The name makes sense then

Cool cool. I was just wondering. I wanted to because otherwise here in the south it’s about “mudding”. I’m sorry I have a little more respect for wheeling a Jeep in a trail or power line exploring. Seems better, safer, more economical, and respectful of the land ya know

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2005 RHD TJ Sport
2010 BMW 528xi

In the mountains in BC, power line "roads?" and fire "roads?" are open to the public but we have no mud so being respectful is pretty easy. Resource roads are private roads built on Crown Land by forestry, logging, mining companies to access their lease. Most of these roads get closed as soon as some idiot starts ripping up the terra firma by wheeling OFF the trail. Most of these idiots fail to realize water flows into creeks which form watersheds and often lead to houses which draw that water for domestic uses. When Joe idiot tears up the terra firma, he contaminates that water source and the law steps in to fine and close the roads.

Tread Lightly keep wheeling territory open for all of us. Retarded idiots force road closures.

Then there's skidder roads...skid trails.

Skid trail has to be a logging area term. I grew up in a logging area in Michigan and thats what we called them “skid trails”. Wherever the skidder went, we’d try to go. I would also walk them to partridge hunt in the fall and deer hunt after partridge season.

Most of the skid trails here are pretty old. Most everything is done by hiline now for just the reason that @billiebob mentions. Plus those old skidders would compact the soil so badly, nothing would grow on them for decades. Cool trails to follow though. Some go waaaay back into the sticks. They are so overgrown now that you have to have a small Jeep to navigate them. My kind of backwoods.

Last edited:
Yup, skidder trails. They've almost disappeared from the Lower Peninsula of Michigan, but there are a bunch in the Upper Peninsula, where my In-Laws live. Now though, the darn things have so much ground clearance they leave stumps in the "roads" and it more like single track. Would be very difficult to navigate in a jeep. There isn't much for hills and such though, so the roads they build to get the trucks in and out suffice.

IMG_20171006_123214824.jpg

Logging trail left from last summer. Loggers here don't skid logs out, the use forwarders and sink to their belly pans.

Yup, skidder trails. They've almost disappeared from the Lower Peninsula of Michigan, but there are a bunch in the Upper Peninsula, where my In-Laws live. Now though, the darn things have so much ground clearance they leave stumps in the "roads" and it more like single track. Would be very difficult to navigate in a jeep. There isn't much for hills and such though, so the roads they build to get the trucks in and out suffice.
In Northern California, because it can get pretty steep, they used dozers to skid the logs. No stumps in the skid trails here.
No stumps here, like in NorCal it's pretty steep. Most all of the skidders were converted dozers with serious winches on them. Then they went to wheeled, articulated skidders for a short while.

Once in awhile, you'll stumble across an old narrow gauge logging railroad right of way. Not very useful as a trail though, all of the old trestles have fallen or burnt down.

No stumps here, like in NorCal it's pretty steep. Most all of the skidders were converted dozers with serious winches on them. Then they went to wheeled, articulated skidders for a short while.

Once in awhile, you'll stumble across an old narrow gauge logging railroad right of way. Not very useful as a trail though, all of the old trestles have fallen or burnt down.
I drove one of those rubber tired skidders for a shot time that my Dad had. It was the ultimate off road vehicle! :)

Generally speaking all roads are owned by someone... if you wheel it be respectful to the owner.

In the west you have FSR (Forest Service Roads) managed by the BLM (Bureau of Logging and Mining). They control access (which they are closing to Jeepers) which may cross private land. FSR's are generally well maintained and passable in a stocker

Powerline "roads" are usually a right of way that the land owner has sold to the Power Company. He retains ownership, the PC only has a right to access the right of way for maintenance, no one else.

Logging or skidder roads really fall under the same category as Powerline roads but are built only to access the product. Once the product is removed so is the right of access.

I suspect most private roads that are not posted will not really care if you wheel on them so long as we are respectfull and stay the trail.

Reactions: billiebob and StG58
Generally speaking all roads are owned by someone... if you wheel it be respectful to the owner.
Money shot! It takes time and money to put a road in, especially with all of the permitting and environmental impact statements and hoops to jump through. A always belongs to somebody, and they have a right to close it off.

In the west you have FSR (Forest Service Roads) managed by the BLM (Bureau of Logging and Mining). They control access (which they are closing to Jeepers) which may cross private land. FSR's are generally well maintained and passable in a stocker
Up here we have FAS, Forest Access Roads that are on Forest service land and are maintained and built by the Forest Service. The quality ranges from paved and striped two lane blacktop to decent gravel. Then there's the FSR roads, Forest Service Roads built for access to natural resources or interesting features. Mostly dirt and gravel. Lots o'fun in a Jeep. Many of these were built for logging access to the backwoods by timber companies and then turned over to the Forest Service. Skid Trails are a subset of these and are the most interesting. Dirt and rock. As the Forest Service puts it "Passable to high clearance vehicles only". Sometimes, they aren't kidding! BLM has pretty much the same road network structure around here, but they do way less maintenance. Fire roads are like unmaintained Forest Service roads. The State (and County) Forestry Roads can be bunched into this group as well. You can start out on a state highway (two lane blacktop) and cross a couple of miles of backwoods and hit all four (five?) road ownership types, with a private road (public access) or two thrown in for good measure. The catch is, each jurisdiction has a different road naming scheme. Makes you crazy at times trying to tell your buddies what road you were on. Lots of good arguments there.
Powerline "roads" are usually a right of way that the land owner has sold to the Power Company. He retains ownership, the PC only has a right to access the right of way for maintenance, no one else.
Power line easements are mostly closed to public access here. Gated and fenced with signs. Even on public lands the power line easements are off limits. You'll get spanked for using them, sometimes hard. There are exceptions though.
Logging or skidder roads really fall under the same category as Powerline roads but are built only to access the product. Once the product is removed so is the right of access.
On public land here, these get turned over to the land owner...USFS, BLM, State Forestry when the timber deal is done. Many of these are getting cut and bermed, by contract, after the timber companies are done logging now. Technically speaking, the road is still open to motorized traffic in many instances, but it's pretty obvious that the Forest Service doesn't want you back in there. They do get pissy about it on occasion. The new specs for "erosion control features" look a lot like cutting and berming a road. Just not as deep or wide. Sometimes you have to make a judgement call on whether it's a drainage cut or an access denial cut.
I suspect most private roads that are not posted will not really care if you wheel on them so long as we are respectfull and stay the trail.
The big timber companies post their roads, the smaller ones don't. Same with gates. You know for sure you're not where you're supposed to be when a Deputy Sheriff stops you and asks you to leave around here.

Navigating the backwoods around here is fun and exciting! Even if you know where you are, you are never really sure if you are actually supposed to be there.

Oh, and I forgot about the Reservations! It pays to know where those boundaries are, because you will get smacked, hard, if you get found wandering around without a permit. Lord help you if you are hunting, fishing or carrying a firearm.

Last edited:
So we used to go mudding on “powerline road” when we were in high school. Didn’t care if we got caught or whatever lol. I’m 42 now, wife, family ect..
2010 BMW 528xi

If you're up for a road trip check out the ORV park near Hot Springs, Arkansas. It's about 4 hours from you and has plenty of trails. From "mild" to "purpose built rock rigs only because you are going to tear your shit up or land on the lid wheels up" trails.

Nice weekend trip. I go with the promise of hot spring baths and spas for the wife. Works like a charm.

http://www.orvpark.com/