Powertrax no slip locker installed

Don’t need loctite, especially red. The concern with reuse isn’t coming loose (especially with 55lbs) but rather the risk of shattering.

Didn't want any chance of them backing out. If I ever need to get them out, I have heat. The service manual for mine call for 80 ft lbs.

Reactions: L J
80? Wow. 7/16 bolts I think right?
Dana 44?

I don't know the bolt size. This is from the 2006 service manual. Mine is a Dana 30.

Screenshot (49).png

Reactions: MountaineerTom
I put new ones in, with red loctite, when I put my Dana 30 Torq Locker in. I got them from Denny's Driveshafts.

How are you liking the torq locker? I’m pretty torn between the no-slip and torq. Seems like there is the occasional failure of the alignment pins with the no slip that is eliminated with the torq.

How are you liking the torq locker? I’m pretty torn between the no-slip and torq. Seems like there is the occasional failure of the alignment pins with the no slip that is eliminated with the torq.

I like it. It's pretty ratchety sounding in 2WD slow turns if I have the windows down/half doors on/no doors, even with using the thicker oil they recommend. Windows up or soft uppers installed, I never hear it. I wanted the no-slip initially but seen a guy had an issue with them back-to-back. I decided to go with the Torq Locker. I know what the noise is, so it doesn't bother me so much, I just have to explain it to someone every now and then. :D I had a concern about some ratcheting, sent them a video of it, some pics of the install and the gap measurements I had during installation. They replied very quickly and told me everything looked and sounded normal. It has made some obstacles much easier to navigate than before.

Th
I like it. It's pretty ratchety sounding in 2WD slow turns if I have the windows down/half doors on/no doors, even with using the thicker oil they recommend. Windows up or soft uppers installed, I never hear it. I wanted the no-slip initially but seen a guy had an issue with them back-to-back. I decided to go with the Torq Locker. I know what the noise is, so it doesn't bother me so much, I just have to explain it to someone every now and then. :D I had a concern about some ratcheting, sent them a video of it, some pics of the install and the gap measurements I had during installation. They replied very quickly and told me everything looked and sounded normal. It has made some obstacles much easier to navigate than before.

Thanks for the insight. My TJ is currently my DD so I was concerned about the ratcheting, but I’m sure it’s just like anything and I’d get used to it

Reactions: MountaineerTom
My bearing caps weren’t in the correct orientation when I removed mine 😵‍💫. Thanks PO. Also what shims? The only shims I’ve found are installed underneath the bearings, which most people wouldn’t change unless they were damaged, like I found one of mine to be.
The spider gears have thrust washers, two curved (upper and lower) and two flat (left and right). Of course one of the flat ones was missing on mine when I took it apart.
That said, the powertrax manual says to remove the thrust washer prior to install of the locker. 🤷‍♂️

I have put my lunchbox in 2 Dana 30s and neither had shims between the carrier bearings and the case. Dude at Napa told me they are between the bearing and the carrier. Not sure if that's right

Reactions: JMT
I have put my lunchbox in 2 Dana 30s and neither had shims between the carrier bearings and the case. Dude at Napa told me they are between the bearing and the carrier. Not sure if that's right

The thrust washers are on the outer (splined) pieces of either the spider gears or lunchbox locker. There is a spec (.145-.175 or something like that) that needs to be met with or without the use of thrust washers (shims)

Update on your experience with the no slip? I still haven’t had time to install mine. I now have a deadline though since I am going on a wheeling trip in April.

I had one in my Dana 30 before I installed a 44 with lockers. It worked great.
Went all over Moab with it. I was limited by clearance and tires more than traction.

Tempting to put one in the front of my Gladiator Mojave.

Did you have stock axles or upgrade them when you installed the no slip?