PowerTrax NoSlip Locker

05 Blue Unlimited

TJ Addict
Ride of the Month Winner
In another thread the PowerTrax NoSlip "locker" was mentioned and rather than jack that thread I started this one. So I have been to the sight but am still a bit cloudy as to how it actually works. Somebody school me plz.

Reactions: Chris
Basically it is called a lunchbox locker. I don't know the origin of the name other than it replaces the spider gears. I am assuming it got the name from it going into the stock carrier like a lunchbox.

Anyway's it works like this. It is always locked up until you turn then it releases so one tire can go faster than the other so you can turn.

It is popular because it doesn't take setting up the rear end to install, so anybody mechanically inclined can install it fairly easily, but it is automatic, so it takes no control from you.

The No-slip is a little more expensive and supposedly is quiet, while the other "Lunchbox" lockers click when they release for a turn, so they can be noisy.

It is kind of a high end overview of what it is, and what it does. I am not sure if you wanted a more scientific answer, or if you were just curious of what one was.

I love my No-Slip, so much that I have not thought about a rear locker until I finally get a good rear axle. Easy to install and worth every penny off-road.
Jeep drives normal in 2wd, feels tight when engaged on the trail, but it is manageable. Great investment over dropping $1k+ on a selectable locker in the front. I've gone up some steep loose hills and the front two wheels just keep on turning.

If I suddenly found myself in need of another lunchbox locker, I'd go for the No-Slip from Powertrax again so I like your choice of the No-Slip. It's a great lunchbox locker and it doesn't click or ratchet during turns on the street like the Aussie, Lockrite, and Spartan lunchbox lockers do.

Basically a lunchbox is unlocked until torque is applied to the axle it is installed in. That's how they manage to make it through turns without causing the tires to hop so long as you're not gassing it through the turn. Once you give it gas/torque its main center pin forces the two inner locker plates apart so they lock up against the two outer locker plates locking the two halves together.

Note that a key part of how they work is the oval-shaped hole that the main cross-pin is positioned in. That oval-shape is what forces the two locker halves apart to lock the locker when torque is applied.

Last edited: