PPE basics

red02tj

TJ Addict
Supporting Member
As I do more work myself, I realize I’m lacking in a good set of PPE and what to use when. I’d welcome some suggestions for
  • Basics like an oil or other fluid change
  • Painting
  • Medium impact? Tire rotation, suspension work type stuff
  • Higher damage potential like an angle grinder.

I’ve got the generic gloves and .99 glasses but I feel like I’m leaving myself exposed.

Thanks

Obviously eyes. Have a handful of safety glasses and a face shield.
Gloves, nitrile for the messy stuff, mechanics style leather for things like you tire and suspension work. And heavy leather for grinding and other heavy work.
Respirator for painting, heavy grinding/sanding etc.
If you are going to do a lot of grinding and or welding then a leather apron or jacket is a good plan. Can not tell you how many times I have gotten acupuncture from a 4 inch cup wheel.

Eyes and ears are most important. I have about 50 pair of safety glasses around the shop, so I can just grab them where I need ‘em. I also have a set of ear muff hearing protection. I don’t wear them as often as I should, years of working in manufacturing has already taken its toll.

For basic maintenance, I wear safety glasses when I’m working under the rig, and nitril gloves when I doing something greasy.

When the grinder comes out, I wear glasses. If I’m running it for a long time, then I’ll generally grab hearing protection.

Once you get into fab work, PPE goes up. Flame resistant coat, heavy gloves, a good hood, And those little squeeze ear plugs are all great. The ear plugs are optional, until you get a piece of spatter in your ear. They become mandatory after that.

You want to do some painting or something? Get a good mask with replaceable cartridges. Wear nitrile gloves, long pants and long sleeve shirts.

Dust masks are nice to have on hand too for general use.

Eyes and ears are most important. I have about 50 pair of safety glasses around the shop, so I can just grab them where I need ‘em. I also have a set of ear muff hearing protection. I don’t wear them as often as I should, years of working in manufacturing has already taken its toll.

For basic maintenance, I wear safety glasses when I’m working under the rig, and nitril gloves when I doing something greasy.

When the grinder comes out, I wear glasses. If I’m running it for a long time, then I’ll generally grab hearing protection.

Once you get into fab work, PPE goes up. Flame resistant coat, heavy gloves, a good hood, And those little squeeze ear plugs are all great. The ear plugs are optional, until you get a piece of spatter in your ear. They become mandatory after that.

You want to do some painting or something? Get a good mask with replaceable cartridges. Wear nitrile gloves, long pants and long sleeve shirts.

Dust masks are nice to have on hand too for general use.

Good point on ear pro. I am bad about that one.

Thanks guys, an example from a few weeks ago. Using the grinder to clean up some rust, Am I good with the $8 Home Depot leather gloves and .99 glasses or should I be looking for specific brands or ratings and if I’m using a rattle can outside, is N95 all I need?

Thanks guys, an example from a few weeks ago. Using the grinder to clean up some rust, Am I good with the $8 Home Depot leather gloves and .99 glasses or should I be looking for specific brands or ratings and if I’m using a rattle can outside, is N95 all I need?

Hard wheel or flap disc, you’ll be ok with glasses, and gloves if you want them (I rarely wear gloves anymore when grinding). When you have a wire wheel on, you want to step up to a face shield and some heavy clothing. I’ve pulled more little wires out of my sweatshirts and skin than I care to count.

Painting outside, N95 is fine. Truth be told, I usually spray outside without any PPE. If you’re worried about the organics, then you need an organic filter, wherever you spray.

What did you say? I only hear ringing

As I sit hear with my ears ringing and wrists in pain from 40 years of wrenching, I second others, rubber or nitrile gloves for fluids. Safety glasses ( not from .99 store) are a good idea when striking, grinding,cutting or drilling. Ear muffs or plugs for impact or grinding. For grinding and cutting safety glasses and a face shield. Proper face eye protection for welding and cutting #5 cutting torch 9-12 for welding. Proper clothing for welding. Mechanics gloves work well for suspension and tire work.
PPE does no good sitting on your toolbox use it! I bought some cheap helmet bags of Amazon to put my welding helmet and face shields in. I also keep my safety glasses in a drawer. If you can’t see through them you are likely not to use them.

Reactions: red02tj and Mike_H

Spend a bit more on the glasses but gloves are a consumable so don't waste money on the fancy stuff.

One secret to finding PPE on a budget is Welding supply houses, metal suppliers, and farm stores.

Reactions: red02tj
Good safety glasses with cheaters in them will get you in the habit of wearing them most of the time in the shop, I use a full face shield when using a grinder with safety glasses as well. I get my leather gloves from Fastenal 10 pairs at a time, they are good quality heavy gloves that you get used to after a while. I use the disposable dust mask if I am on a big grinding project and usually have on leather boots or shoes.

I've seen too many horrifying internet photos of the aftermath of an exploding cutting wheel to not use a full face shield.

I've never welded professionally, but I've worked in facilities where welding is done and I follow the same PPE requirements they used.

Long sleeve shirt, jeans. Cotton, no synthetics. Synthetics like to melt onto your skin. Shoes are leather, I wear cowboy boots because there aren't any laces or a tongue to catch molten steel.

Leather, gauntlet style gloves. leather sleeves to my elbow if I'm doing much more than a tack.

And of course an auto darkening helmet and I started wearing a backward baseball cap after I got spatter on my head.

The point made earlier about ear plugs to keep spatter out of the ear is well taken....that sounds awful.

I used to think safety glasses and gloves were for pussies...then after the 2nd time having rust dremeled out of my eye balls I changed my tune.

I like hand condoms because I'm a clean freak kinda person

I'm still working on thick leather gloves while grinding etc and usually forget to put them on.

Ear protection is important but something I have never used and will most likely pay for later on in life

I used to think safety glasses and gloves were for pussies...then after the 2nd time having rust dremeled out of my eye balls I changed my tune.

I like hand condoms because I'm a clean freak kinda person

I'm still working on thick leather gloves while grinding etc and usually forget to put them on.

Ear protection is important but something I have never used and will most likely pay for later on in life

I'm horrified at the thought of some of the stuff I did without PPE when young and dumb. It's shocking I've never had to do the eyeball thing. I've had close calls even with safety glasses...miraculously ended up being a big piece that just laid flat on the surface and I could remove with a finger looking in the mirror.

I used to just raw dog it barehanded and clean up with half a pound of Fast Orange and have black in all the little crevices around my fingernails. When I worked as a Toyota tech the more experienced fellow in the next bay never shut up about all the chemicals we dealt with and how bad that was to just soak into your skin, so that's when I picked up the nitrile glove habit. Ear pro started when I developed tinnitus at 26. I don't run a grinder for 5 seconds without ear pro.

I've seen too many horrifying internet photos of the aftermath of an exploding cutting wheel to not use a full face shield.

I've never welded professionally, but I've worked in facilities where welding is done and I follow the same PPE requirements they used.

Long sleeve shirt, jeans. Cotton, no synthetics. Synthetics like to melt onto your skin. Shoes are leather, I wear cowboy boots because there aren't any laces or a tongue to catch molten steel.

Leather, gauntlet style gloves. leather sleeves to my elbow if I'm doing much more than a tack.

And of course an auto darkening helmet and I started wearing a backward baseball cap after I got spatter on my head.

The point made earlier about ear plugs to keep spatter out of the ear is well taken....that sounds awful.

Cut off wheels can be dangerous, if you drop your tool with one on it check the wheel or change it. Had a buddy at work in the front of a box van and a guy cutting on the vise on the rear bumper. The wheel broke it flew forward right past my buddies head and went through a mirror mounted above the windshield and stopped Halfway through the metal mirror housing.
On my arc welding helmet I attached a 6” piece of leather to it that hangs down. This protects your neck from getting sunburned while welding especially overhead.

ESS is having a 25 percent off sale for Veterans Day. I wore their stuff in Afghanistan and swear by it. I love the glasses that have slip in dark and clear lenses. Great safety glasses.

3M earpro. Muffs and disposable plugs. Double up if you can. If you want music go with ISOTunes. They'll have a black Friday sale. The Frees fit under ear pro for a great double up ear pro solution.

RZ mask makes some great N95 masks. I use them from everything from COVID to trail dust to garbage/human waste smells and grinding.

Harbor Freight nitrile gloves. Thick blue ones...I think 8mm...last pretty well. I like the cloth nitrile dipped gloves too.

Bandaids and first aid gear. Don't be like me at 47 and all my hands are scarred up and arthritic. It sucks. You get a cut stop...clean it up and keep it clean.

Good ventilation in your work area goes a long way.

Safety toe boots. I hardly wear anything else. People who wheel in flip flops scare me...seen too many smashed toes.

Knee pads...pants with built in pockets are awesome. I like the foam blocks.

Fire extinguisher and good organization...flame cabinet or designated area for flammable stuff across the shop from the welders and grinders. Amazon sells fire extinguishers with glass spray heads that automatically go off at fire temperatures. Mount one above your flame cabinet.

Welding jacket...welding UV light causes all sorts of havoc.

I have FR coveralls, pants, shirts and sweatshirts. Burns suck. Getting an errand spark fucks up stacking dimes.

Good lighting. Good ladders. I had to Israeli bandage my neighbor the other day...leaned a 6' stepladder against his workbench and the bottom kicked out. 6" cut down his forearm. We're far enough out in the woods he didn't bother with 911 and called me instead.

I do volunteer work with the Forest Service... don't get me started on chainsaw and crosscut PPE. =)

-Mac

Just to reiterate on the cut off wheels..if the tool holding the cut off wheel falls or even tips over the cut off wheel goes in the trash period. I have worked in the body shop environment and have seen enough broken cut off wheels in the ceiling to know better.

Just to reiterate on the cut off wheels..if the tool holding the cut off wheel falls or even tips over the cut off wheel goes in the trash period. I have worked in the body shop environment and have seen enough broken cut off wheels in the ceiling to know better.

Safe or trash?

073BEB3E-3C8B-40CA-A97F-355EFF083F48.jpeg