Pranked a JK friend

Flivver250

TJ Addict
Supporting Member
My buddy had a leaking oil cooler on his 3.6. He replaced the oil cooler and the leak got worse and he started throwing codes. I told him he probably pinched the wires to the knock sensor, and I ordered the sensor and wire. I helped him with the install this weekend and the fault was exactly as I had predicted (lucky guess). The repair went off perfectly and he test drove it last night, thanking me for no check engine light and didn't see any oil leak. I checked, there was no leak. I just poured a bit of oil under his Jeep exactly in the spot it was dripping. Can't wait to see his face.

I used to work in a BMW, Moto Guzzi, Ducati shop years ago in Plainfield Vermont. One of the mechanics was OCD meticulous about tearing down an engine or tranny. He'd lay out shop rags on his sterile work bench and place each part he removed (after thoroughly cleaning it) on the rags in order of removal so reassembly was a smooth flowing operation. I would occasionally sneak a gear, spring or bolt into his line-up and watch with glee when he got to that errant part. Naturally I used something that wouldn't fit, but it was priceless seeing the facial expressions and body wide nervous tics. Kept him focused on his game and kept me fast on my feet.

I used to work in a BMW, Moto Guzzi, Ducati shop years ago in Plainfield Vermont. One of the mechanics was OCD meticulous about tearing down an engine or tranny. He'd lay out shop rags on his sterile work bench and place each part he removed (after thoroughly cleaning it) on the rags in order of removal so reassembly was a smooth flowing operation. I would occasionally sneak a gear, spring or bolt into his line-up and watch with glee when he got to that errant part. Naturally I used something that wouldn't fit, but it was priceless seeing the facial expressions and body wide nervous tics. Kept him focused on his game and kept me fast on my feet.
Now that’s the kind of mechanic I’d want working on my stuff!

I worked at a Lexus shop where pranks were rampant.. Three strips of wheel weights slipped inside the rim just before a test drive, put some axle grease on the shop phone ear piece and then call it... It was all a lot of fun until two guys got carried away (which is how it always goes).

One night after a guy # 1 locked up his nice Matco or Snap-On toolbox for the night guy # 2 decided it would be fun to empty half a barrel of grease from the overhead line into one of the holes on the back of the box. The next morning guy # 1 was livid (understandably). His two or three top drawers were filled with grease and it had oozed down the back of the box collecting on the bottom. The service manager stepped in and told him not to do anything to guy # 2 so he could handle it himself. Well, guy # 1 couldn't let it go, and that night he uncapped a battery and emptied the contents all over the stainless steel top of the box that belonged to guy # 2.

They were both fired.

Guy at work had about a half inch round hole in the end of his toolbox (no idea why). Another guy decided that on his last day of working for the company, it would be funny to fill the toolbox with a can of that expanding foam insulation. Took forever to even get the damn toolbox open after that!

• Haha
Reactions: Kiwi TJ and AndyG
Back in the day I rode Harley Davidsons and there was one guy in the shop who bought one of the V-twin metric cruisers that were trying to compete with HD. Always talking shit about HD's and how they "mark their territory" So I get a bag of rice and dump it under his bike then go in and tell him in front of everybody that I spotted a large oil leak under his scooter and sat back and watched him frantically run out there and get down on his knees to look under the bike, he spots the rice, he know we are all watching at this point and he just flips us the bird without even lifting his head up. He never lived it down. Good times.

Zip ties in a driveshaft, clickty clickty, click.

Bolts taped to the inside of a metal hub cap, when they come loose it’s noisy.

Parker o-ring lube on windshield wipers, only thing that takes it off is brake cleaner.