Pray for Oregon

Yep, they were telling my wife the entire town is gone and they are trying to get out.

I didn't know about the fires down south. Man, it seems like the entire state is on fire 😲

Yeah the south is raging a new one for me too. It’s bad. I wish them a safe exit.

Reactions: Wildman
Yeah the south is raging a new one for me too. It’s bad. I wish them a safe exit.

Hopefully they can contain them. I know down here today is was windy as hell (and smokey from all the smoke in California). I commented to my wife that the wind was insane. I saw a number of down trees in my neighborhood just today.

I’m praying for you @Rubi04. WE just moved to the PNW last year, and all this fire stuff is new to us. We had smoke yesterday from a fire about 20 minutes from here. There are many others around. I was praying we would miss out on them this year, since August passed, but it seems September is the month this year. Blessings, and stay safe. I pray they get it under control and you and others can stay put.

My wife's mother lives in a senior center in Medford, and was forced to evacuate today. Living with my sister-in-law now, about 40 minutes north of Medford. That area is on high alert, as well.

Yep, same story with my wife's grandma. She lives in a senior care center in Medford as well. No idea where they are evacuating them to.

Reactions: mrjp and Rick Flair
Sri spoke to Paul Coplin today who lives in Mill Creek I believe it is. Paul said the town was told to evacuate but they decided not to evacuate.

I can't say I blame him, it would be hard to sit there and watch my house burn down and not do anything about it.

I’m praying for you @Rubi04. WE just moved to the PNW last year, and all this fire stuff is new to us. We had smoke yesterday from a fire about 20 minutes from here. There are many others around. I was praying we would miss out on them this year, since August passed, but it seems September is the month this year. Blessings, and stay safe. I pray they get it under control and you and others can stay put.

Thank you for that. You are in our prayer as well, I know you moved recently and it sucks for sure. I thought we had made it past it as well. Ugh.

I do hope we can as well. Friend of mine justgot back with more animals from neighbors and this time, Deputy didn’t stop them but they were near flames.

We shall pray and work our butts off to help where we can. Friend of mine gave his truck and trailer up to anyone needing it. It’s amazing to see the humbling human nature in times like these.

• Love
Reactions: mrjp and Wildman
Sri spoke to Paul Coplin today who lives in Mill Creek I believe it is. Paul said the town was told to evacuate but they decided not to evacuate.

I can't say I blame him, it would be hard to sit there and watch my house burn down and not do anything about it.

Well glad he’s ok....having never been to his house I don’t know where he’s at 100%. Seems from what I’m told it came down upper north fork. Gene’s Meats is gone and flames near the gas station. This is near the Lyons/Mehama junction off hwy 22. Genes is a staple.

Have another friend near it, I’m sure his home is lost. No answer. 😔

You guys must be wrong, because I lived in TX (2 percent) and we had wheeling places. It’s called Free capitalism. People realized this is an interest group and they turned their properties into wheeling places. People pay and everyone is happy. Also, there’s not many fires in one of the hottest states in the US. Granted, there are not as many forests, but east of 35 is very wooded, and NE Texas is known as the Piney Woods
Shit man. Pay to go on a trail? Fuck right on off

Well glad he’s ok....having never been to his house I don’t know where he’s at 100%. Seems from what I’m told it came down upper north fork. Gene’s Meats is gone and flames near the gas station. This is near the Lyons/Mehama junction off hwy 22. Genes is a staple.

Have another friend near it, I’m sure his home is lost. No answer. 😔

Paul is right in the middle of the damn forest, I'll tell you that much. I've been out there before and he's surrounded by the forest.

What a shame, that area is so pretty too.

• Angry
  • Sad
Reactions: mrjp and Rick Flair
Shit man. Pay to go on a trail? Fuck right on off
Private property. TX is a different country in this respect. Well, every state W of CO is, in this respect. Same thing for mountain biking, you had to pay at many places to ride. Not all. The whole public land thing is totally new to me here in the PNW.

Anyone pissing on about the government and how we need to do things “better” can fuck right off. We are losing homes, lives and tons of animals right now.

We don’t want or need your bs right now. I’m raw. I’m upset and been up for 50+ hours. I’m watering my property and hoping this doesn’t destroy our home. Enough.

This is not directed at anyone in particular.

Sending positive thoughts your way! Though not in harm's way (this time), the smoke and ash is a reminder how bad things are right now.

It doesn't help us right now but hopefully this is a good sign for improved co-management of the forests by the Fed and states.

https://www.gov.ca.gov/wp-content/uploads/2020/08/8.12.20-CA-Shared-Stewardship-MOU.pdf
Good luck!

Reactions: Rick Flair
Sending Morning Prayers to those affected by the fires. I have some family in Medford have no idea how they are. Stay Safe and Good Luck to you all

Reactions: Rick Flair
Because of Teddy Roosevelt. The East Coast up to the Mississippi was all forest but got cut down; private land; cotton farms; Teddy Roosevelt started the National Parks first with Yellowstone Park then more and more as territories turned into states. Saved the Redwoods and Yosemity but environmentalists stopped logging and stoped any fires asap. Lots of dry 40 years worth of dead wood on the floor
Technically US Congress established Yellowstone and President Grant signed it into law in 1872. A wee bit before Roosevelt.

@Rubi04 this is horrendous, fingers crossed for a good outcome for all involved.

Why is it all the wildfires seem to happen on the west coast but not the east coast?

Because the east coast has been cleared of most of it's forests already and what is left isn't like what we have out here in the west. They still have fires but it isn't like our forests. And all this ECO crap of don't touch is gunna bite us all in the ass.

you sure about that? Pennsylvania alone has 16.9 MILLION acres of forest which covers 58% of our total land mass.

I live in Suburban Philly, this area (SE PA) is hilly but otherwise without mountains, this is 10 minutes from my house, & once you get out of Philly & Pittsburgh this is pretty much what it looks like, though Pittsburgh itself is in the mountains:

pa forest 4.JPG
pa forest 5.JPG

Drive in a westerly direction away from Philly & you begin to enter the Appalachian mountains. Now of course these aren't 'mountains' like out west, but they're nonetheless covered in dense forest.

PA forest.JPG
pa forest 2.JPG
pa forest 3.JPG

Fly over Pennsylvania this time of year, & a good deal of the East Coast for that matter & you'll see bountiful lush greenness.

I'm no forest or forest fire expert so I can't answer @Chris 's question about why we don't have fires like out west, but I'm assuming it's because there's little rain there while we're deluged with it here nearly non-stop

Attachments

• Pennsylvania Forest Land.pdf
    974.1 KB · Views: 365
Last edited:
I stand corrected.
It’s probably a common misconception, many probably think of PA as Philly but it’s a tiny spot down in the lower right corner that borders NJ & DE (Philadelphia County is the small greenish county two to the right of Chester County, landmass-wise probably the smallest county in the state). The state is often described as Philly & Pittsburgh with Kentucky in between, a/k/a Pennsyltucky. Interestingly, politically, while we’re a northeastern state that leans blue we’re not reliably counted on as blue, it’s always a battle here & we helped put Reagan in office twice, Bush Senior and most recently Trump. If not for Philly’s massive population we’d be as red as red can get. Although this is the most recent election they pretty much all look like this:

PA Red Blue.png

Northern MN gets its fair share of forest fires but there aren’t really any people up there to be affected so they go largely ignored by media.

Lots of forestry in Michigan also.