Pray for Oregon

Will make it even harder to leave at this point. 😔

I think it will still be easy especially once the fires stop. The people from California will still pay crazy prices for houses in Oregon I think.

I'm curious to know what you mean with that statement? Harder to sell the property because of potential buyers fearing the risk of future fires? I'm genuinely unsure of what you mean, my friend, but would like to understand.

Harder to sell and harder to leave. Reconnected with friends I haven’t spoke to in a long time. I almost feel a calling to stay and help. This last year I’ve been really selfish with my own issues and the bigger picture sometimes doesn’t reveal until it needs to be.

I’ve been in the service of my country and community for so long I’ve lost sight of it. Dealing with my own demons and working through issues has pulled some shades back and I don’t know if I’m done yet. It’s all I know.

Harder to sell and harder to leave. Reconnected with friends I haven’t spoke to in a long time. I almost feel a calling to stay and help. This last year I’ve been really selfish with my own issues and the bigger picture sometimes doesn’t reveal until it needs to be.

I’ve been in the service of my country and community for so long I’ve lost sight of it. Dealing with my own demons and working through issues has pulled some shades back and I don’t know if I’m done yet. It’s all I know.
Thank you for such an honest answer. It reveals a lot about you, my friend. I hope everything works out in your favor, whichever direction you decide to go.

Thank you for such an honest answer. It reveals a lot about you, my friend. I hope everything works out in your favor, whichever direction you decide to go.

Always friend! I try to be the exact person online as in person and that for me, involves the smart ass and sarcastic ass I am.

It’s good though to not be someone your not online as I have met lifelong friends virtually and we just clicked like we have always been. It’s a weird thing to think about but our world at this point.

Like you and I. We would be good friends. Hell, we are. 👍

Always friend! I try to be the exact person online as in person and that for me, involves the smart ass and sarcastic ass I am.

It’s good though to not be someone your not online as I have met lifelong friends virtually and we just clicked like we have always been. It’s a weird thing to think about but our world at this point.

Like you and I. We would be good friends. Hell, we are. 👍
Hell, yeah! Thanks, man. That does my heart good! :)

To all the forum members dealing with the wildfires on the west coast, and especially Oregon, our prayers are with you.

My sister-in-law’s house is on the edge of the huge fire north of Springfield @ Blue River.
We’re hoping it’s still there after the evacuation order is lifted.

And for you all, here’s a great tool to track the fires in real time via satellite.

Go to “zoom.earth” click the menu at the top left of the page and check the box for show fires. Then you can two finger move and zoom in on the map to see the fires in your local. You can choose most current view or click the date/time counter backwards to previous days and times.

BTW, drove from Alturas to Redding and back yesterday for shopping, and the smoke was so bad that visibility was much less than 5 miles, more like 3 the whole way. And there are no fires that are close to that pathway.

You’ll be amazed by how many fires there are. Troubling really. Stretching our fire crews and equipment to the limit. Maybe National Guard should get involved.:unsure:

To all the forum members dealing with the wildfires on the west coast, and especially Oregon, our prayers are with you.

My sister-in-law’s house is on the edge of the huge fire north of Springfield @ Blue River.
We’re hoping it’s still there after the evacuation order is lifted.

And for you all, here’s a great tool to track the fires in real time via satellite.

Go to “zoom.earth” click the menu at the top left of the page and check the box for show fires. Then you can two finger move and zoom in on the map to see the fires in your local. You can choose most current view or click the date/time counter backwards to previous days and times.

BTW, drove from Alturas to Redding and back yesterday for shopping, and the smoke was so bad that visibility was much less than 5 miles, more like 3 the whole way. And there are no fires that are close to that pathway.

You’ll be amazed by how many fires there are. Troubling really. Stretching our fire crews and equipment to the limit. Maybe National Guard should get involved.:unsure:
Hmmmm, these all fires....crazy never seen a map with fires shown? Looks like a bunch in the south east too, small when you zoom in but very suprising to me with so many flagged across the country. How does this app work, any idea? Fires get reported and then mapped? Hope all are doing ok today.

Screenshot_2020-09-12-09-10-10.png

Hmmmm, these all fires....crazy never seen a map with fires shown? Looks like a bunch in the south east too, small when you zoom in but very suprising to me with so many flagged across the country. How does this app work, any idea? Fires get reported and then mapped? Hope all are doing ok today.

View attachment 189363
Not really sure how everything works, just found the website myself.
The little red triangles are markers, but for what I don’t know.
It does show the fires quite well, and if you zoom in, you can see where the fires have been.
I’ve been using it to track fires close to our ranch, so far this year, nothing closer than 15-20 miles.

The little dots might be house fires. There's one close by here but its been raining for 6 days now, so i doubt its a grass fire.

In the spring I drove to Oklahoma and Kansas had 10s of thousands of acres of grassland burned or on fire.

Back in the Prarie days the grass would be 3 to 4 feet tall in areas and its a different grass. The fires were much bigger then. My family has a small patch of native prairie grass that's never been plowed. We bailed it for the horses. There's an area with wagon ruts from a trail that fed into the larger Oregon trail to the west.

There's not as much fuel as out west, but if the wind is blowing the fires move fast and can burn a farmstead down. My sister almost had that happen this year.

They look like this when they get going.

FLAM_4953.jpg

kansas-prairie-fire-keith-stokes.jpg

Last edited:
The little dots might be house fires. There's one close by here but its been raining for 6 days now, so i doubt its a grass fire.

In the spring I drove to Oklahoma and Kansas had 10s of thousands of acres of grassland burned or on fire.

Back in the Prarie days the grass would be 3 to 4 feet tall in areas and its a different grass. The fires were much bigger then. My family has a small patch of native prairie grass that's never been plowed. We bailed it for the horses. There's an area with wagon ruts from a trail that fed into the larger Oregon trail to the west.

There's not as much fuel as out west, but if the wind is blowing the fires move fast and can burn our farm down. My sister almost had that happen this year.

They look like this when they get going.

View attachment 189414
My aunt and uncle have a 1200 acre wheat farm outside North Platte, they alternate wheat and soybeans on 600 acres and the government pays them not to plant anything but hay on the other 600. I worked a hay harvest one fall when I was younger. Damn near killed me.

We had 3 cuttings of alfalfa a year and put up 4000 to 5000, 50-ish lb square bales. We get way more rain here on the east side of the state so it doesn't take as many acres to raise stuff. It may take 1 to 2 acres per cow out west and we can have 2 to 3 cattle per acre on our grassland.

Nebraska sits on the Ogallala aquifer. One of the largest bodies of under ground water in the world. And the Sandhills out west were a blowing desert of sand dues 10,000 years ago. The topsoil layer isn't very thick out there. Rivers will look dry but still be flowing underground.

Last edited: