Pretty cool happening after I read a book about two Navy SEALs

Jerry Bransford

Retired to more relaxed pastures... bye.
Supporting Member
I recently read an exceptional book called By Honor Bound which is a true story about two US Navy Seals who won the Medal of Honor while serving in Vietnam.

By Honor Bound.JPG

The Lieutenant on the right, kind of a little guy, won the MOH for unbelievable bravery while rescuing multiple American pilots who were downed in North Vietnam. He was usually the only American doing the rescues with help from the Vietnam equivalent to our SEALs. Some unbelievable harrowing events that took place.

The big SEAL on the left was a Chief, later a Lieutenant, who ended up rescuing and saving the life of the LIeutenant while they were doing a recon mission. The Lieutenant was shot by NVA through the side of his head, exposing his brain and taking his eye out. Everyone thought he was dead, the big Chief didn't care that he was told he was dead, he went back anyway and found that he was still alive, though barely and drifting in & out of consciousness. Mike ended up carrying his Lieutenant to the water and swimming miles pushing him toward a Navy Cruiser that they finally got to. Oh, and also while also towing/pushing two Vietnamese SEALS who were also hurt to the cruiser. All survived thanks to Mike.

So I'm friends with a SEAL, Brian Ribera who is now retired from the Navy, and he called me saying he was in town so we went to dinner. I told him all about the book and he smiled and said "Oh yeah Tom and Mike, I'm close friends with both of them". I was stunned. He had actually gone to the White House Ceremony for Tom, the smaller guy, for his Medal of Honor Presentation. Mike had received his MOH years earlier. He then showed me this picture of the three of them.... all were thoroughly hung over after a night of partying. This picture was taken the day after the White House ceremony for Tom on the left.

Brian and Tom & Mike Medal of Honor winners.jpg

Notice the huge size of Mike on the right, he could swim for days. Tom on the left spent six years having multiple surgeries to fix his skull and eye socket. But he's alive, and all thanks to Mike. There are some great stories like that in books but this is about as close as I've been to any of them. He shared a little more about Tom & Mike, both are as nice and down to earth as you could want anyone. That's my unnamed SEAL friend in the center. Did I already mention they were all thoroughly hung over? :D

P.S. To tie all this into our forum, Brian Ribera is also a Jeeper. That's how we met years ago, on the trail. Great guy.

P.P.S. He brought me a mighty fine bottle of single malt Scotch last year. This photo was taken at 7am... not a time I'm used to drinking Scotch anywhere close to lol.

Brian-&-Jerry-having-7am-Scotch.jpg

What kind of Jeep does he drive Jerry? A Wrangler I would assume?

That's really cool though. I love hearing stories from war veterans of WWII and Vietnam. I have nothing but respect for those guys. My grandpa who died years back was a pilot with the Army Air Corps in the Pacific Theater. He flew with the Flying Tigers. Anyways, I loved hearing his stories, so I can only imagine getting to hear these guys stories... especially being SEALS!

All the cool people are Jeepers, aren't they?

What kind of Jeep does he drive Jerry? A Wrangler I would assume?

That's really cool though. I love hearing stories from war veterans of WWII and Vietnam. I have nothing but respect for those guys. My grandpa who died years back was a pilot with the Army Air Corps in the Pacific Theater. He flew with the Flying Tigers. Anyways, I loved hearing his stories, so I can only imagine getting to hear these guys stories... especially being SEALS!

All the cool people are Jeepers, aren't they?
He has multiple Jeeps, I think at least two Wranglers... TJ, LJ, maybe a JK, and a pretty sweet lifted Grand Cherokee.

Because he'll be retiring later this year after 22 years, all as a SEAL, he started a company around training senior executives how to plan and succeed through remote area sessions involving how to get from point A to Point B, C, D, E, etc. in very tough offroad scenarios. Jeeps, Land Cruisers, Land Rovers, etc. plus a non-profit on helping Vets overcome problems. Great guy, actually an unbelievably great guy. He's what they call a 'Mustang'... former enlisted now a SEAL Officer.

Last edited:
He has multiple Jeeps, I think at least two Wranglers... TJ, LJ, maybe a JK, and a pretty sweet lifted Grand Cherokee.

Because he'll be retiring later this year after 22 years, all as a SEAL, he started a company around training senior executives how to plan and succeed through remote area sessions involving how to get from point A to Point B, C, D, E, etc. in very tough offroad scenarios. Jeeps, Land Cruisers, Land Rovers, etc. plus a non-profit on helping Vets overcome problems. Great guy, actually an unbelievably great guy. He's what they call a 'Mustang'... former enlisted now a SEAL Officer.

I don’t think you can be a SEAL without being a great guy. To have done that for 22 years is really damn impressive! Most probably don’t do it for more than 8 years.

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
Great story Jerry thanks for sharing. This book is going in my cart for sure.

Awesome. Those guys define mental and physical toughness.

Story puts lump in my throat. They were just boys over there. Did their job.

Somewhere there are two Navy Seals that say hey, I know a guy that actually knows Jerry Bransford.

Jerry you know I'm having fun with you ...you're great.

We need to all be thankful this week we speak English , many have died to make this dream called America come true .

Gotcha.. thought you took the pic. Lol

You might like jocko williks interview with Mike.

He gives details about his mission with Tom.
OMG, what an amazing experience watching Mike being interviewed. Very sobering, what a great thing to have watched after just having finished the book a few weeks ago. Mike worries about everyone but himself, something that is ingrained into you in becoming a SEAL. I have to send a link to my SEAL buddy though most likely he has seen it by now.

Thank you for posting that link Sancho. I clicked on it and never got up from my seat until it was over.

For those interested in the book, I recommend reading it before watching the interview. The interview is much more powerful if you know the entire story.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sancho
OMG, what an amazing experience watching Mike being interviewed. Very sobering, what a great thing to have watched after just having finished the book a few weeks ago. Mike worries about everyone but himself, something that is ingrained into you in becoming a SEAL. I have to send a link to my buddy though most likely he has seen it by now.

Thank you for posting that link Sancho. I clicked on it and never got up from my seat until it was over.

For those interested in the book, I recommend reading it before watching the interview. The interview is much more powerful if you know the entire story.

Glad you liked it Jerry. Consider it a reward for helping with my DW back in 2011. Lol

I read the book after watching that interview.. definately a must do for those who haven't read it. Fills in a lot of detail.

You should check out the roger hayden interview as well.

You know, I’ve had my Jeep since ‘06. I bought my ‘97 CTD in 2014 and that was the first time I ever thought about a forum for helps with vehicles, or anything relating to them. It wasn’t until about 2 months ago when a buddy of mine was giving me a set of AAM axles that I figured it was time to get serious about building my TJ. That’s when I stumbled across this forum.

It’s a damn shame I haven’t been on here longer. I have honestly never seen more like minded individuals in one place, online! All red blooded Americans, and I fuckin’ love it.

I’m stationed at Bragg in NC. Once I get my front driveshaft rebuild and new 33s, I need to wheel again. I’m not far from Uwharrie and I’ve never been. Anyone in the area, message me!!!!

Jerry, good story. I’d like to meet you some day. You seem like a hell of a guy!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OMG, what an amazing experience watching Mike being interviewed. Very sobering, what a great thing to have watched after just having finished the book a few weeks ago. Mike worries about everyone but himself, something that is ingrained into you in becoming a SEAL. I have to send a link to my SEAL buddy though most likely he has seen it by now.

I watched the whole thing as well without getting up.

One of them is blue with outboarded shocks. ;)
1545666783389.png