Price range for a TJ Unlimited Rubicon with 29k miles

doktormane

TJ Enthusiast
Now, I know you guys can't tell the future but I'm just struggling to make a decision on whether a bone-stock 2006 TJ Unlimited Rubicon with 29k miles is a good buy for $23600. The car is in really good condition, is white and comes with a hardtop. What is the price range for one of these? I know you can sometimes find great deals but should I risk it and wait longer? Sooner or later I will buy a TJ Unlimited Rubicon and while I don't want it to be now because I have other stuff on my place, I don't want to wait another 5 years and have to pay $35k for one with such low miles.

Assuming that demand remains for the LJ Rubicon, which I assume it will then the prices will definitely continue to rise. This is especially true if you are looking for a low mileage vehicle. As the years go on the lower mileage vehicles become more valuable.

At some point for most people though buying a newer JK will become the more reasonable solution then spending that kind of money on a TJ. That said, I surmise there will continue to be a following and demand for this TJ.

Short answer your question would be buy It now.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Prices are dropping on all of these, I wouldn't expect much of a rise. Truthfully you'll be able to make a perfect Rubicon clone for 15K in a few years easy. My local junkyard has a stack of 44 axles waiting to go.

If you buy it and want the price to stay high you have to park it and leave it. If you drive it the price will be down to average in just a year or two which is going to be lower than this years average.

Check KBB, Edmunds, NADA and local Craigslist.
I am not from the US
What color is it and what does the frame / underside look like?
The color is white. I haven't seen the car yet, will do so in about 2 weeks but I was told that it has been garaged all of its life and hasn't seen any mud. The person selling it is a known businessman in the city and has other more expensive cars.

Also, the car is not in the US so that will affect the price as well but it can go either way. On the one hand it is an older Jeep and people who have that kind of money to spend will not buy a 14 year old Jeep but on the other hand it is a TJ Rubicon with low miles.

Prices are dropping on all of these, I wouldn't expect much of a rise. Truthfully you'll be able to make a perfect Rubicon clone for 15K in a few years easy. My local junkyard has a stack of 44 axles waiting to go.

If you buy it and want the price to stay high you have to park it and leave it. If you drive it the price will be down to average in just a year or two which is going to be lower than this years average.
Are those original Rubicon front 44 axles?

I would not be buying it as an investment, I would never want to sell it but then again I don't want to be paying too much.

Assuming that demand remains for the LJ Rubicon, which I assume it will then the prices will definitely continue to rise. This is especially true if you are looking for a low mileage vehicle. As the years go on the lower mileage vehicles become more valuable.

At some point for most people though buying a newer JK will become the more reasonable solution then spending that kind of money on a TJ. That said, I surmise there will continue to be a following and demand for this TJ.

Short answer your question would be buy It now.

You make some interesting points. The car is not being sold in the US and at the moment 9/10 people will see it as a 14-year old Jeep for a crazy amount of money so I don't expect people to be flocking to buy it. Hopefully that will give me some time to think about it.

There was LJR at a dealership in VA with low miles. A forum member sent me the link. By the time I called the Jeep was sold. I think they were asking in the 22-23K range. It had 45,000 miles or so.

I got my 06 TJ (not Unlimited) Rubicon with about 63,000 miles without a hard top last year for $17,000. I'm not sure exactly what condition the one you mention is in or what $$ values are in the UK but if it was similar to mine, and here in the USA, I'd offer $20,000 and see what happens.

I got my 06 TJ (not Unlimited) Rubicon with about 63,000 miles without a hard top last year for $17,000. I'm not sure exactly what condition the one you mention is in or what $$ values are in the UK but if it was similar to mine, and here in the USA, I'd offer $20,000 and see what happens.
I just read about the OPDA and I'm anxious to listen for any symptons coming from that. I have yet to see the guy in person, apparently his chauffer is in charge of selling it... I would prefer to see the actual owner but hey, as long as the paperwork is in order I don't mind

I just read about the OPDA and I'm anxious to listen for any symptons coming from that. I have yet to see the guy in person, apparently his chauffer is in charge of selling it... I would prefer to see the actual owner but hey, as long as the paperwork is in order I don't mind
Guy's got a chauffer, he's likely not wasting his time trying to sell a Jeep.

Reactions: chino1969
Guy's got a chauffer, he's likely not wasting his time trying to sell a Jeep.

lol
A jeep is a depreciating asset, not an investment.

Pay what it is worth for it's utility rather than it's cachet and you will do fine.
That's the thing, I want to buy it because I love the damn thing but it looks like some people are dropping 30k on some used LJR and I hope it's because they like em too, cuz they are sure screwing up the market.

Are those original Rubicon front 44 axles?

I would not be buying it as an investment, I would never want to sell it but then again I don't want to be paying too much.
Ya, Rubicon 44 axles front and rear. They have a big metal storage rack full of them. Not cheap at all but not $26K either. There are plenty of Rubicons wrecked in Los Angeles to keep the rack full.

Ya, Rubicon 44 axles front and rear. They have a big metal storage rack full of them. Not cheap at all but not $26K either. There are plenty of Rubicons wrecked in Los Angeles to keep the rack full.
What's your email? Do you mind if I ask you a couple of more details? How much are they asking for a pair?

Cheers,
Dan

Jeep Part Depot
12246 Branford St. Sun Valley, CA
818/889-9939

Don't take this as a recommendation in any way. I saw the rack of axles awhile back but you'll get the real answer on the phone, they sell on ebay too but I just looked and didn't see any listed. If you call post back what they say, I'd be curious.