Pro comp rock crawler rear bumper - ok for recovery?

Kiwiphil

Hi all,
New here, been lurking for a while and got to say this is a great resource for TJ owners, I've already found answers for most questions just via searching (Rancho 5000x shocks and correct NTK O2 sensors being the most recent purchases coming on FedEX to NZ)..

My jeep has an aftermarket Pro Comp rock crawler rear bumper with a hitch reveiver. I've done some google research and established that they aren't rated for towing. I'm hoping that some of you knowledgeable folk might know if it's ok to be used as a recovery point? It is welded on both inside & outside of the bumper.

20201125_090340.jpg
20201125_090355.jpg

Its a liability issue. Thats why they say not rated for towing. Id make sure your 8 bolts are present and don't tow heavy.

Reactions: EzPeezy
A recovery can exert far more force than the typical tow application. Instead of that I strongly recommend a frame mounted tow hook like this. One mounting hole exists, you just need to drill one more through just the one outer surface. You can insert the washers and nuts up inside the frame there through a factory opening on bottom. Use Grade 8 1/2x13x2" bolts. Do not drill through both sides of the frame.

Tow Hook~2.jpg

A recovery can exert far more force than the typical tow application. Instead of that I strongly recommend a frame mounted tow hook like this. One mounting hole exists, you just need to drill one more through just the one outer surface. You can insert the washers and nuts up inside the frame there through a factory opening on bottom. Use Grade 8 1/2x13x2" bolts. Do not drill through both sides of the frame.

View attachment 205663
I like that idea, I'm stealing it

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
Its a liability issue. Thats why they say not rated for towing. Id make sure your 8 bolts are present and don't tow heavy.
Thanks, just to be clear, I don't plan on towing with it (actually removed POs wiring and safety chain loop to tidy the look up a bit); rather wondering if it's a suitable recovery point, or if I should go down the route of fixing recovery hooks to the chassis

View attachment 205663
I've seen your recovery hook posts on other threads, so had this option in mind. The fact it wasn't rated for towing doesn't really fill me with confidence for using it for recovery..

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
Don't think I'd trust Procomp with anything used in a recovery. Especially when they call it the rock crawler bumper and don't put shackles on it.

It all comes down in how it’s attached to the frame, if it doesn’t have strong frame tie ins a
I wouldn’t do it, the factory rear tow hook epwas right on the end of the frame rail with two bolts, an Arb bumper that is tow rated has a ridiculous amount of tie in and price to go with it