Problem with local shop

I contact another shop that was highly recommended on Tuesday, Frank’s Automotive. I drove the Jeep to the shop and spoke to Mike, the manager. I told him that the RMS is leaking and gave him a rundown on what happened with the first shop. He quoted me $675 to replace the RMS and oil pan gasket. We agreed that they would use a Fel-Pro oil pan gasket and a Mopar RMS. I scheduled the repairs for yesterday morning.

I dropped off the Jeep at 9am yesterday and received a call at 11am from Mike. Mike stated that the first shop had used so much RTV that he would have to add in time on the estimate to clean it all off. He also said that the RMS and the impute seal the trans was leaking. Remember, I had paid the first shop to replace both seals. More time and money were now added to the estimate. Mike said they will use a National seal for the impute trans seal. He stated that when the first shop pulled the impute trans seal they gouged the seal seating surface with probably a screw driver (see the attached pic). They finished the job today and it costs me $1,004 for the work.

I had requested that Mike text me pictures of the oil pan and the front of the trans. In the pics you can see multi kinds of RTV on the oil pain seal.

View attachment 404434

View attachment 404435

View attachment 404436

View attachment 404437

View attachment 404438

The gouge in the seal bore was likely done by driving a punch in beside the seal to pop it out.

BTW, I had spoke to Al (manager, head mechanic, co-owner) from the first shop on Tuesday. It didn't go well. Initially on the call he agreed with me about the RMS is still leaking, I had sent him my pics like I did on this thread (my first pictures). He continued to say that he did everything by the book (he didn’t) and that he wasn’t sure how he could help me further. At no time did he offer to pay me back on what I had paid him. I then told him that I would no longer be doing business with his shop, will take the Jeep elsewhere, and will post negative reviews. He exploded and then started berating me. I told him “good day” and disconnected the line. The conversation continued by text, and it didn’t get any better. He continued to berate me. I have not sent him the pictures yet of what the second shop took (the second set off pictures I just posted to this thread). I’m not sure I will send him the pics. Maybe It’s better if I just let it go. My blood pressure doesn’t need to be any higher than what it is.

You only need to do one thing. Send him the single picture of the pan with all the excess RTV on it and tell him no professional mechanic does that and only really stupid amateurs do. The work speaks for itself, now leave me alone.

You only need to do one thing. Send him the single picture of the pan with all the excess RTV on it and tell him no professional mechanic does that and only really stupid amateurs do. The work speaks for itself, now leave me alone.

In my years of being a mechanic I have see my fair share of permatex mechanics that smear that stuff everywhere and wonder why it comes back or when the oil pump pickup is clogged with silicone.

Reactions: R49 and John Cooper
In CA you can not legally do that. You have to pay for the repair in full and then take them to small claims to recover your funds. If you file a charge back, cancel a check or similar, it is automatic defrauding of the shop and you lose in court no matter how crappy their work is.

So much for the customer is always right.

@Rex2022. It sucks going through $1,650 to get that fixed. I can empathize to a degree. I had my AC worked on by my mechanic in 2017. He was a good guy and always treated me fair. On this job he thought it was the compressor. He replaced it with a NAPA Chinese POS and I picked it up $600 later. He said he pressure tested it for 30 minutes. All good, right?! I’m loving my AC till day 3 when there is no AC. Take it back. It wasn’t the compressor. It was the evap. Did he offer to give my money back? No. Even minus the compressor? No. Did I get my Mopar compressor back? No, already gone. Did I ever go back. No, not to him or anyone. That was the day I decided I was just going to figure out how all this works and do it myself from then on. Here we are in 2023 and I still don’t have AC, 🤣 but I haven’t given any douchebags $600 either.

Good lord that shop have stock in Permatex?

imagejpeg_01-jpg.404437

You post that pic in enough places and there is a good chance you would not even have to go to small claims court. I mean hell why spend the money for the gasket if all you are going to do is goop it up.

So much for the customer is always right.

That has exactly zero to do with it. When I worked at the auto shop, there were several customers that would come in, get a lot of work done and then immediately cancel the check because they didn't have the money to pay for the repair. They didn't even bother to complain about the work. Boss took them to small claims and won every single time. It is automatically a win due to the defrauding BS.

BTW, I had spoke to Al (manager, head mechanic, co-owner) from the first shop on Tuesday. It didn't go well. Initially on the call he agreed with me about the RMS is still leaking, I had sent him my pics like I did on this thread (my first pictures). He continued to say that he did everything by the book (he didn’t) and that he wasn’t sure how he could help me further. At no time did he offer to pay me back on what I had paid him. I then told him that I would no longer be doing business with his shop, will take the Jeep elsewhere, and will post negative reviews. He exploded and then started berating me. I told him “good day” and disconnected the line. The conversation continued by text, and it didn’t get any better. He continued to berate me. I have not sent him the pictures yet of what the second shop took (the second set off pictures I just posted to this thread). I’m not sure I will send him the pics. Maybe It’s better if I just let it go. My blood pressure doesn’t need to be any higher than what it is.

I suggest inviting him to either have that conversation in front of a small claims judge or refund 100% of your money with certified funds within 10 business days. Do it in writing, and mail those four sentences certified mail to his business address. Don’t argue or threaten, just do it.

If you don’t have the check in your hands on Day 11, and I bet that you will, file the complaint, probably online, with the small claims court that covers your jurisdiction. If what you’re saying is true, then I doubt Judge Wapner will side with bozo the clown mechanic and speaking the truth is just about the easiest thing you can do in court.

If you don’t want to do that, then at least Yelp and Google review a 100% fact-based review as a warning to others. He sounds like he’s unwilling to stand behind his work and probably immune to bad reviews as a resolution route.

I’m very upfront with my vendors, especially mechanics - perfection is a expectation but not always the reality, and I only ask that they accept responsibility for their mistakes by standing by their work. If the guy is hard working and honest, I don’t hold him up and usually pay and move on when shit goes south. What goes around comes around - I’ve had plenty of snafus myself over the years and been blessed with foregiving customers.

Your bad guy sounds like a real piece of work who needs a dope slap to sober him up.

In CA you can not legally do that. You have to pay for the repair in full and then take them to small claims to recover your funds. If you file a charge back, cancel a check or similar, it is automatic defrauding of the shop and you lose in court no matter how crappy their work is.
I did not know that, thank you!

I did not know that, thank you!

Both sides are held to very specific standards. If you take your vehicle in for work or a repair, the shop has to fill out the paperwork correctly. If they do not, then you do not have to pay for the repair. Something as basic as leaving the VIN and mileage off of the paperwork gets you free work.

Fill out a complaint on the Better Business Bureau website. Even if he isn't an Accredited business, they will contact them and people will see it.
I just did that with a furniture company here that was ignoring my requests for a repair that should be taken care of by them. They contacted me to make the repairs two days after the BBB contacted them. Worth a shot!

Doesn't the rear main seal have lip seals that go around the crank?

View attachment 404596

Yes, it's been replaced three times now. It's referred to a a rear main seal (RMS)

RMS 2x by first shop
RMS 1x by second shop

Trans input seal 1x by first shop
Trans input seal 1x by second shop

oil pan gasket 2x by first shop
oil pan gasket 1x by second shop

I just posted a Google review and a Yelp review that includes these pics on the first shop (Beuks Auto Group- Peoria, AZ.).

Reactions: JMT
Fill out a complaint on the Better Business Bureau website. Even if he isn't an Accredited business, they will contact them and people will see it.
I just did that with a furniture company here that was ignoring my requests for a repair that should be taken care of by them. They contacted me to make the repairs two days after the BBB contacted them. Worth a shot!

Thanks for the advice. I'll look into it.