Problem with steering locking up

Binnie

I have been building my '01 TJ now for a while and my present specs include a Rough Country 6" lift, new G2 Core 44 front axle assembly with Eaton eLocker and Rugged Ridge steering linkage.

Now, here is my problem: I back out of my driveway, turn left and go up the street, make a right turn at the intersection and my steering locks up. The steering wheel is so hard to turn that it will force fluid out the top of my steering box.

I am now on my third steering box. When the steering finally unlocks I hear a loud pop from the front end and all is well until the next time it happens. This problem has been plaguing me for a while now and is driving me insane.

Everything is new, nothing is binding, works fine on the trails and highway...it is just the initial starting off on a new day that I experience this problem. I have a attached a picture of my setup. Thank you for any insight that you may have.

jeep5.JPG

@mrblaine, I'm tagging you in this since you seem to be a steering guru.

Any idea what could be causing these symptoms?

P.S. I await your comment on the Rugged Ridge crossover steering :D

Reactions: Kyle_W and Binnie
Thanks Chris. I have been talking to both Eaton and 4 Wheel Parts because I thought the differential was locking up on its own. I disconnected the power going to the diff and that made no difference. 4 Wheel Parts thinks it is a steering component related problem but are at a loss as to what it might be. I have ordered a stage 4 hydro assist kit, which includes a new pump, steering box, assist cylinder, new hoses, cooler and filter. I am afraid that although I may be able to steer I may be just covering up the real problem.

No problem! I really hope that @mrblaine chimes in. He designs steering systems for Jeeps, and I don't think there's anyone out there on the entire internet who is more knowledgable than him when it comes to steering. I'll bet dollars to donuts he can guide you in the right direction.

Reactions: Binnie
Like I said earlier, once I get past the first couple minutes of driving it and I hear the popping sound, everything is fine and it handles very nicely, both highway and on the trails.

DSCN0932.JPG

I suspect the locker is not fully disengaging.
I have jacked the front end up before departing the driveway and confirmed the diff in unlocked. According to Eaton there is no way that those lockers can lock on their own. They told me the springs are so stiff that it takes the strong electromagnet to push them. And he told me if something was broken inside it would not work at all and it works fine on the trails.

Thanks Chris. I have been talking to both Eaton and 4 Wheel Parts because I thought the differential was locking up on its own. I disconnected the power going to the diff and that made no difference. 4 Wheel Parts thinks it is a steering component related problem but are at a loss as to what it might be. I have ordered a stage 4 hydro assist kit, which includes a new pump, steering box, assist cylinder, new hoses, cooler and filter. I am afraid that although I may be able to steer I may be just covering up the real problem.

Have someone turn the steering wheel to the right very hard and work it back and forth while you watch the lower end of the swaybar link mount on the passenger side. It may be one of the pinch clamps when the draglink rotates snagging on something.

Reactions: Binnie and Chris
Even if the locker were locking up, it wouldn't do it only in one direction, it would produce stiff steering both ways.

What is the backspacing on the rims?

Reactions: Binnie and Chris
I think Blaine probably has figured out what is going on. Re-reading what was said by the OP could very well be caused by the draglink/tierod hanging up.

I knew a properly installed/properly functioning locker wouldn't cause this as mentioned above. I was first thinking it may be from an internal locker problem or a bad installation. It now sounds more like what Blaine asked about.

Could a power steering pump cause a problem like this? And could a pump make a loud popping sound? I know the steering box is not the issue as I am now on box 3 which is again leaking badly.

I have had the front end sitting on jack stands on several occasions and have turned lock to lock with no issues so it appears the wheels have to be on the ground for it to lock up.

I have had the front end sitting on jack stands on several occasions and have turned lock to lock with no issues so it appears the wheels have to be on the ground for it to lock up.

Yes. You need to have it on the ground when doing this.

Have someone get in your vehicle and aggressively turn the steering wheel back and forth while you're underneath the front of the rig. Make sure the vehicle is running while they do this.

Watch the steering move back and forth while you're under there and see if you can visually see anything binding up. It should be really obvious, but my guess is if you do this, you'll find the culprit. I'd almost bet on it.

Brand new locker + extremely hard turning + a pop and then steering is back to normal. It does seem like the locker isn't fully disengaged until you here that pop from the front end.
I have been blaming the locker all along until I had the conversation with Eaton and 4 Wheel Parts. The locker engages and disengages fine on the trails. I have disconnected the power source to the locker and the problem still exists.