Problems ahead?

CaliSteve

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
So, the 33's don't fit the stock tire carrier, I now have the tire relocation bracket along with the brake light relocation spacer. Should the tire be resting against the rubber stops on the door to minimize vibration?
I currently have about 2" of gap? This is all temporary until I decide on the tire carrier/bumper system I want. I want to avoid any damage to the door until then.

IMG_20180510_083848.jpg

That's an easy fix. Just cut some PVC pipe, paint them black, get some longer bolts and put the PVC spacers between the tailgate and the rubber bumpers.

Reactions: Chris
@tomtaylz just had to lengthen his stops. Maybe he can chime in with the parts he bought. They look just like Codamans.

What type of spare tire relocation bracket did you install? If it's similar to the one at https://www.quadratec.com/products/22202_03.htm that's a bad idea to use. Brackets like that add enough additional distance between the spare tire and tail gate to significantly increase the leverage the spare tire has against the tailgate and its hinges. The TJ's stock tail gate and hinges aren't really up to that much additional force against them.

Personally I'd go for something like the Exogate that reinforces the tailgate and hinges so they will hold up long-term. https://gr8tops.com/shop/jeepmodels/wrangler-lj-2/tj-lj-exogate

Reactions: JeepZilla380
It's a smittybilt product, part #S/B 3721, it's a stout piece and uses all the existing holes in the stock bracket but I have the same concerns as you regarding the leverage.

For someone needing a temporary fix, would this bracket work better than, say, a wheel spacer? Or same net effect?

For someone needing a temporary fix, would this bracket work better than, say, a wheel spacer? Or same net effect?

They would have the same affect. FYI, I ran the wheel spacer for a couple of years wirw no negative affect.

Last edited: