Project Adventure Machine

Michael Wyrick

Howdy Everyone,

Hopefully this is the right place to post this... I am about to start my dream jeep build. My wife and I love to travel all over in our jeep and want to create a Ultimate Adventure Vehicle which we can eventually use with our kids.

Goal is to make it Reliable, Safe, and better MPG then it currently has (8-10 mpg when loaded with gear). We also want to stretch the wheel base a hair (thinking 4") And we also are considering stretching the body for more room. Currently I have a Slant Back top from wild boar, Love the look but it kills on space. I fabricated a roof rack to go with the top since I couldn't find anything online to do what I wanted. Anyways... Just wanted to start this thread now with a little introduction. Will post more project specific Information over the next few weeks. Here are some photos of the current setup. Thanks y'all.

img_9128-jpg.jpg

img_9133-jpg.jpg

img_0817-jpg.jpg

img_2840-jpg.jpg

img_2784-jpg.jpg

img_2691-jpg.jpg

img_0788-jpg.jpg

Also, I originally wanted a 4bt but now am leaning towards a 4.8 LS with a turbo. Let me hear your suggestions as far as engine. Thanks everyone.

Nice rack, does it hold 2 adults and a child and a tent? Everything i'm looking on internet holds only about 350 pounds... Nice jeep.

Nice rack, does it hold 2 adults and a child and a tent? Everything i'm looking on internet holds only about 350 pounds... Nice jeep.
Thanks! I actually built it out of 11 gauge tubing. I had 4 burly guys stand on top and move to try and break welds and test it’s strength. I’d say it holds 800lbs for sure. Look at Gobi or something close to that. It’s 300lbs driving but most are rated for 800lbs when you are sitting still.

Are you going to put fender flares on it so the kids can see out? :)
Haha yes, I do have a plan for fender flares. I was going to bend some out of the leftover tubing from my roof rack. I didn’t consider the fact of kids sticking their head out of the window.

Haha yes, I do have a plan for fender flares. I was going to bend some out of the leftover tubing from my roof rack. I didn’t consider the fact of kids sticking their head out of the window.
I wasn't thinking of them sticking their heads out either, just can't see out the rear side windows. :)

• Haha
Reactions: JMT
Thanks! I actually built it out of 11 gauge tubing. I had 4 burly guys stand on top and move to try and break welds and test it’s strength. I’d say it holds 800lbs for sure. Look at Gobi or something close to that. It’s 300lbs driving but most are rated for 800lbs when you are sitting still.

Thanks for the info.What's the measures of the rack if i may ask?

Thanks for the info.What's the measures of the rack if i may ask?

The rack measures around 58" x 69". Its pretty much flush with the front window and the turn down of the hard top.

Welcome. Nice LJR. Following the build...interested.

Thank you sir. Getting married Saturday so hopefully I can start progressing more on the build next week.

Started to line everything up with some stock wheels I picked up for FREE from a neighbor. (Good neighbors are just the best.) I am trying to figure out if I should keep them full width or cut them down to 65" WMS? Let me know what y'all think. I know coverage laws in certain states may be a problem and then narrow trails will be a big problem.

IMG_0910.jpg

IMG_0958.jpg

Started a channel so I can share all my progress.

Here is a little intro video. Hoping to start logging every part of this project. Also, found more photos of my jeep setup from when I first got it. I will attach them here. Trying to keep tearing down these axles!

IMG_7797.JPG

IMG_7903.JPG

IMG_7927.JPG

IMG_8031.JPG

IMG_8089.JPG

Reactions: L J and Fouledplugs
Finally Building some momentum! Here is the latest video for y'all. Disassembled the axles and just need to finish the brackets. Let me know what y'all think!

I am pretty glad I waited till Black Friday to get everything. Saved a TON of money in the end. I am still waiting for some parts to come in and my welder that I ordered back in August. Don't know why that's taking so long but here is some thoughts and progress on the build!!

Any ideas for the rear? I am thinking Motobuilt or maybe even the Artec kit that allows you to use your own steel from your local steel yard. or should I just fab it all myself? I still am not sure. Also, I am thinking about just moving my breather tube hole on my axle to the middle. Its probably what i am supposed to do anyways.

Anyways, Let me know what y'all think! be prepared for more videos soon!!

Have you considered the R2.8l. The fuel economy might be a bit better than a V8
I actually was going to do a 4bt swap but I didn’t because of the legal issues I could possibly run into.... especially in other states that we will drive too. The r2.8 is to new for me. I have heard people try to turn them up or play with them and they blow up. I also want to have readily available parts just in case something goes wrong. Which the LS engines have.