Project Apache: TJ / T3c Build

Nice build so far! I bought a generic steering box skid for my jeep on amazon for 35$ Its the same as the warn, poision spyder, etc you're just not paying for the logo. Its been put to the test and is still holding up.

Today was a great lesson in checking the contents of your order before starting a project

First I tried to replace ball joints but ECGS sent the wrong ones. I ordered spicer but idk what brand this is?

14E4425E-379F-4EAD-82FE-C6A176F6141D.jpeg

I was able to work ahead and replace axle shaft seals. Was pretty shocked how much sand and debris was in the diff considering I just changed fluid about 8k miles ago with only some mild wheeling in between. The old seals looked pretty decent too.

F8551CC5-6F08-4645-B1DD-B56AC2E2D32F.jpeg

Then started installed the Spartan locker but found out one of the springs is missing and one is bent
AABB1997-6738-40AB-9432-3346CE7D0C02.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: MountaineerTom
Got the Spartan installed today. Still waiting on ball joints so I ordered some hockey pucks and picked up a tap to move my bump stop extensions to the axle side.

All buttoned up minus 1 broken brake caliper pin, some new diff fluid, and days of cleaning the shop. The new spring spacers took the excessive rake out caused by the winch and bumper, although it probably did enough to check my alignment

8B5597FB-2290-4B2B-84BF-F59A5480F057.jpeg

Reactions: StoneCold
222CF0EE-EDD8-41A6-B457-C84379D9AB29.jpeg

Finally out for a test drive today. Lunchbox locker is completely undetectable minus a couple clunks I heard at low speed. The 3/4” spacers definitely improved the look by eliminating the excessive rake and I think they even improved the swaying issue I was having. Currently running the antirock at loosest setting with no complaints. Gotta admit I was a little nervous to drive 40 miles round trip after being that deep into my front axle!

Body lift and mml are all buttoned up. Next up is the sound deadening I ordered. Averaging around 80 DBa at 70mph on my phone prior. Excited to hear the results.

040A3F3C-00D5-4416-B77D-C691E0F8A1B3.jpeg

Installed the bedrug carpeting last night. The fit and quality is very nice. Cabin noise was reduced from 80 dba to 76 dba at 70 mph on a newly paved road. I still need to order new drain plugs but I was a little disappointed with how loud the cabin still is. At highway speeds you don’t need to yell but definitely need to raise your voice. I think swapping to all terrains would make another significant reduction.

IMG_4762.jpeg

Reactions: StoneCold
Installed the bedrug carpeting last night. The fit and quality is very nice. Cabin noise was reduced from 80 dba to 76 dba at 70 mph on a newly paved road. I still need to order new drain plugs but I was a little disappointed with how loud the cabin still is. At highway speeds you don’t need to yell but definitely need to raise your voice. I think swapping to all terrains would make another significant reduction.

View attachment 422661

What product did you use for sound deadening? Carpet looks awsome👍

Couple incredible weekends this past month. First weekend was a covered bridge tour followed by some trails at Southington Offroad Park. Second was a weekend at my pops property in southern Ohio camping in the RTT and fishing. Then last weekend I took the TJ/RTT to Pisgah NF in NC for some hiking.

received_1670259690070193.jpeg

IMG_5143.jpeg

IMG_5141.jpeg

Reactions: MountaineerTom