Project Billd a Jeep

Project Billd

Supporting Member
Hey everyone,

Long time lurker and now community member! I've wanted to buy an older Jeep for a longgg time as there are a few CJs in my family but with the intention to make it a safe daily driver and just generally enjoy driving it... coil springs and airbags seemed important and meant it was a TJ for me!

And after lots of searching (thank you for the all the help on this forum on what to look for) I'm now I'm the proud owner of a 2004 Rubicon TJ!

It's mostly stock except for what I think is a ~2 inch suspension lift (rancho) and 285/75R16 tires but most importantly has little to no frame/tub rust. Added bonus that it's pretty low mileage at about 64k. It performs pretty well on the road and is stable at highway speeds (~75 mph) though there are definitely things I want to improve on it in time. I went with the 5-speed manual as over an automatic as I prefer a manual for daily driving but do intend to take it off-road, which will be a new experience for me.

As for me, I run the YouTube channel projectbilld (youtube.com/projectbilld) where I make detailed how-to videos, mostly about woodworking and DIY projects, but I try to have a fresh take on projects. I'm always willing to venture into other areas though and learn new things. I don't know how much of owning a jeep will infiltrate my channel's content but I'm sure it's bound to happen some :)

Owning a Jeep is a new venture for me and I'm eager to learn (with your help) how to work on it, drive it off-road, and really make it my own!

-Bill

20220129_102850.jpg

20220129_103157.jpg

20220129_103036.jpg

20220129_102907.jpg

20220129_102900.jpg

Sweet Jeep Bruh! welcome to the forum, I'm located in Wake forest

Any ideas for the build?
Yeah for sure. I've got about 10 years of ideas bouncing around in my head that I'll get to. Going to focus on making it a comfortable daily (audio system upgrade first!) before venturing into performance upgrades. I'll want to get experience off roading before I make any determinations about what I want to do there.

Yeah for sure. I've got about 10 years of ideas bouncing around in my head that I'll get to. Going to focus on making it a comfortable daily (audio system upgrade first!) before venturing into performance upgrades. I'll want to get experience off roading before I make any determinations about what I want to do there.
Well were definitely gonna be planning some group trips down to Uwharrie this spring

• Love
Reactions: Project Billd
Got around to putting the new head unit in yesterday, it's pretty awesome so far!

20220217_113130.jpg

20220217_113717.jpg

Has android auto/carplay which is super nice. Also, it has an hdmi port which opens up lots of possibilities, like:

Using it as a car-puter!
20220217_113955.jpg

and playing Halo...
20220217_114333.jpg

(as dumb as this was I couldn't stop giggling the whole time)

It's nice to have to possibilities even if they're not that practical haha. Speakers are definitely next, the stock ones (especially the dash) leave a lot to be desired. I'm making a video about the install of the head unit as well as some other things to get the jeep to be a more comfortable daily that I'll post here once it's live.

Also, I no longer need the old center dash unit, stock radio, and stock radio to ipod/aux input adapter. If anyone is interested in those then PM me.

20220217_113010.jpg20220217_113233.jpg20220217_113249.jpg

20220221_175100~2.jpg

Got new SKIM keys for the Jeep and can't say it was the most fun experience I've ever had. My Jeep only came with the one Strattec key (left). I called around and only found one locksmith who even had a clue what I was talking about and he wasn't cheap (both arms and one of my kidneys... aka $180) but he did cut and program the second key (middle). Offered to make me another key for half price (what a deal...) but I declined since with 2 keys I can program more myself. Really wanted a key that said Jeep on it, so I picked up an Mopar key off ebay ($30), found a different locksmith willing to cut blanks that weren't their own, and now I have the third key (right) for my Keychain! Third key in total still cost less than half of the 'discounted' price the first locksmith wanted to charge me...

I'll cover this in detail in the video I'm making (might be done by the end of next week... optimism!) but I did some work to restore the driver's side seat cushion that had been compressed by too many butts... and made me feel like I was sliding out of the seat to the left side.

Essentially, it's just steaming the foam to rejuvenate it, with getting to the foam being the hard part. It's not perfect and I'll likely replace the seat cushion when I reupholster the seats but it's way better than it was and was worth the effort.

Seat Cushion Before-After.png

How long will the foam rejuvenation last?
That remains to be seen but in principle it should last for a few years on foam that's in good shape. On the seat edge it might not last as long as even though I'll try my best not to compress it excessively it's difficult to get in and out without doing so.

That remains to be seen but in principle it should last for a few years on foam that's in good shape. On the seat edge it might not last as long as even though I'll try my best not to compress it excessively it's difficult to get in and out without doing so.
That's interesting. I figured it would collapse to the previous shape as soon as it dried back out. I learned something new today - thanx!

One of the front turn blinker enclosures had some water in it so I removed it, pried it apart and reattached it using silicone caulk. It's been rained on a few times since and is leak free now

Also, googled some images of tjs and these are normally orange right but looks like maybe the 03-04 Rubicons came with clear markers? I'm curious if anyone knows. The side markers are clear too

Full of water
20220303_143231.jpg

Gap at the top
20220303_182411.jpg

Apart and cleaned up
20220303_183855.jpg

Reattached with silicone, gap filled20220304_110441.jpg

After a few rains
20220317_162645.jpg

Reactions: thekidwithquestions
One of the front turn blinker enclosures had some water in it so I removed it, pried it apart and reattached it using silicone caulk. It's been rained on a few times since and is leak free now

Also, googled some images of tjs and these are normally orange right but looks like maybe the 03-04 Rubicons came with clear markers? I'm curious if anyone knows. The side markers are clear too

Full of water
View attachment 319587

Gap at the top
View attachment 319586

Apart and cleaned up
View attachment 319584

Reattached with silicone, gap filledView attachment 319583

After a few rains
View attachment 319582
Clear markers are aftermarket. Factory were all orange