Building a diesel powered RHD TJ Wrangler (Picture Heavy)

Hey TJers,

Man I'm behind on getting videos up but here is the next one! I finally got around to building my doubler from Northwest Fab. Check it out!

I'm seriously behind on this entire project and any hope I had of it being done this summer is out the window at this point, I'm kind of hoping to just get it done this year now, which seems possible . . . maybe.

Never-less I'm carrying on! Equipment failure and other issues with my other vehicles keep setting me back. I haven't worked on the Wrangler in two now and I just need to find sometime so I can get the drivetrain completed!!!

ALSO if anyone know a good diesel lift pump that will fit in our TJ Wrangler fuel tanks or even a carburetor pickup please let me know. I still haven't figured out what I'm going to do for a fuel pickup in my tank but I've accidentally broken my electric fuel pump so that can't be used anymore . . . oops.

Thanks
Grant

Reactions: BugoutJeep
Hey TJers,

Man I'm behind on getting videos up but here is the next one! I finally got around to building my doubler from Northwest Fab. Check it out!

I'm seriously behind on this entire project and any hope I had of it being done this summer is out the window at this point, I'm kind of hoping to just get it done this year now, which seems possible . . . maybe.

Never-less I'm carrying on! Equipment failure and other issues with my other vehicles keep setting me back. I haven't worked on the Wrangler in two now and I just need to find sometime so I can get the drivetrain completed!!!

ALSO if anyone know a good diesel lift pump that will fit in our TJ Wrangler fuel tanks or even a carburetor pickup please let me know. I still haven't figured out what I'm going to do for a fuel pickup in my tank but I've accidentally broken my electric fuel pump so that can't be used anymore . . . oops.

Thanks
Grant
Grant,
The in tank pump out of the liberty will fit with very minor modification...just have to trim a "lip" off the pump to allow the retaining nut to fit...otherwise it fits perfectly.

Mike

Grant,
The in tank pump out of the liberty will fit with very minor modification...just have to trim a "lip" off the pump to allow the retaining nut to fit...otherwise it fits perfectly.

Mike

Mike thank you so much!!!!! I had no idea! That would be a perfect solution!!! Do you have any pictures of yours when you retro fitted yours into your Wrangler?

Thank you so much @Mike Alfano
-Grant

Mike thank you so much!!!!! I had no idea! That would be a perfect solution!!! Do you have any pictures of yours when you retro fitted yours into your Wrangler?

-Grant
Grant,
I don't have any pics but specifically remember that i didn't think it necessary to take any photos because the mod was so trivial...you just have to shave a plastic lip off of the pump mounting plate so that the retaining ring will fit...its super easy.
Regards
Mike

-Grant
Grant,
I don't have any pics but specifically remember that i didn't think it necessary to take any photos because the mod was so trivial...you just have to shave a plastic lip off of the pump mounting plate so that the retaining ring will fit...its super easy.
Regards
Mike

So Kubota's don't have a mechanical lift pump? I bet it wouldn't be a big deal, just for testing purposes if you ran the stock gas pump until it failed, but I think Mike has hit the nail on the head.

I know this isn't practical, but it might be kinda cool to have one of the remote lift pumps on one of these engines. If you were in extreme cold, it might even make sense since you can run coolant to them and heaters. I have the remote setup on my truck, which is 95 gph and it's supposed to be rated to 600HP. All pretty laughable but I do like the idea of a sump kit with remote lift pump.

I guess the use of the CP3 pump (I think that's the pump) on the Cummins, has enough lift to not require a lift pump for this engine, but I know from experience that it's required on the 5.9L Cummins.

What is the latest? Did you get the lift pump figured out? I really want to see how this does on the road and off......

What is the latest? Did you get the lift pump figured out? I really want to see how this does on the road and off......

I'm so behind on this whole project. I'm just FINALLY getting the transfer case crossmember finally figured. I'm trying to get caught up on the videos as well. I'm a solid 3 videos, maybe 4 behind. The subtitles just take so much time to edit. Seriously might start looking into doing voice-over.

SO the quick backstory, which you will see in my videos, tried building a NP231 with a super short SYE and 1.25 wide chain kit and failed, had to take it apart and use the original chain. Finally got it built, got it installed, went to fabricate the crossmember and then on the same day my welder and my auto-darkening welding helmet both stopped working. THEN I got those sorted I went to install nut serts into my frame for the crossmember and I could not squeeze the nut sert tool I had for the life of me.

SO new welding helmet, new (used) welder, and a new nut sert tool that got here two days ago and I can finally get back on track with everything.

OH also the lift pump that I bought was not for a CRD Liberty and I'm having to order another.

It's just been that kind of month!

-Grant

Sorry to hear that Grant. It's the the life of a home mechanic though. Hang in there!

It's all good! Also with summer with the kids, I just haven't been working on stuff as much as I should be. I've almost got the next video edited, I'm hoping to post that tonight or tomorrow at the latest. I really want to get the Wrangler running and driving. I miss it WAY too much!

Also what is the going rate for a factory hard top with defrost, wiper and washer fluid? I'm looking to sell mine actually.

-Grant

Hey TJers,

So here is the next video:

Installed a 1.25" body lift and attempted to upgrade my NP231. Many mistakes were made and I will be addressing those issues in the next video which will be coming out Wednesday.

*Knock on wood* I think I'm getting down to the home stretch. I have a few other details to still figure out but I should be able to start the Wrangler and move it under it's own power in the next 2 weeks. By NO means will I be down but to be able to move it around my property under it's own power will be huge.

Let me know what you think!

Thanks
Grant

Hey TJers,

Finally got the NP231 built and somewhat installed. Here is the video:

This is going to sound weird, but I have found messing around with the NP231 to be more challenging than getting the Kubota V2403 engine mounts made and getting the AW4 mated to it. All of this just comes from in-experience. Overall I really like the NP231, it's cheap, light, and easy to get parts for.

Going to try getting the crossmember bar finished up sometime next week so I can have this part of the project done and I can start focusing on getting the rest of the Wrangler back together!

I'll also say that at the end of the above video I had a very honest moment of reflection about this project and I did walk away from the Wrangler for about 2 weeks, spent that time with my kids, went a lake and just tried to clear my head.

For anyone looking to do a swap that has never been done before, plan for delay, plan for the unexpected to happen. This project is taking way longer than I originally thought it would but I have no regrets so far. I have an idea of the outcome of this project and I'm looking forward to many miles and years of service from it!

-Grant

Reactions: StG58 and Alex01
when using flux core wire, switch the polarity on your welder. My cheap lincoln weld pak, has the wires right by the drive motor. This should improve your welds when using flux core. Also, the helmet is probably just the batteries, watch style batteries available at the drug store, typically......

I think I have the same Lincoln but it died. I'm gonna either buy a Miller Millermatic (or something like that) or a knock off of that unit. Most hoods are 2032 batteries I think.

Reactions: RustyAutoholicGuy
Hey TJers!

Today was a very productive day! I got the cross member fabricated, painted and installed! The drive-train is bolted into in the Wrangler! No more transmission or jack stands!

xVVbqH2l.jpg

I'm hoping to get the video edited and uploaded this week. This took way to long to get fabricated but I learned a lot from it!

Let me know what you think!
-Grant

Any concerns with it bending/flexing? Is there enough cushion in the bushing to allow for drive train torque/twist without breaking something? Looks very clean....nice work!!!

Any concerns with it bending/flexing? Is there enough cushion in the bushing to allow for drive train torque/twist without breaking something? Looks very clean....nice work!!!

Not really, that bar is 0.25" thick. Yeah the bushing does have a good amount of give as well. It ended up very clean but there were things that could have been avoided if I had be using the correct tools the first time around! A center punch is a mandatory tool I'm finding out when it comes to projects like this one!

-Grant

Not really, that bar is 0.25" thick. Yeah the bushing does have a good amount of give as well. It ended up very clean but there were things that could have been avoided if I had be using the correct tools the first time around! A center punch is a mandatory tool I'm finding out when it comes to projects like this one!

-Grant
Wait you have a cnc plasma cutter but not a center punch 🤣

Keep up the good work.