Building a diesel powered RHD TJ Wrangler (Picture Heavy)

Yes absolutely! Diesels do not have the same RPM or Revving ability that a gasoline engine has. The Kubota has a maximum RPM of like 3100~3300 rpm but I wouldn't spin it faster than 2800rpm personally.

My 2006 Liberty CRD has a redline of 4500rpm but honestly I never take it past 3000rpm, there just isn't a point, let the transmission shift and use the torque to accelerate with the turbo!

-Grant
I have a manual so it will definitely be a learning process of when to shift.

Reactions: RustyAutoholicGuy
So I'm a Senior QA Automation Engineer. I program automation to test software essential. Nice paying job, I work from home but at the end of the day I don't want to be on a computer anymore.

I'm looking at 3 Jeeps in total and I'm spoiling my next two major projects but I'll go ahead and tell :cool:!

So obviously I have my 2006 RHD TJ, this will be my around town Jeep running errand by myself.

My next build is going to be my 1947 CJ-2A. I'm building a frame from scratch and it's looking to be a completely unique off the wall build!

My next build is going to be a Wrangler JKU. I don't own one, but with two kids, and three huskies, a 4 door Wrangler is going to have to be in my future. My kids are small but they are growing VERY quickly so I'm going to need more space sooner rather than later! Also this would be built so I could haul my CJ-2A.

All of these builds will be diesel!

-Grant
Good paying and stay at home sounds really good! I think I have decided that I want to do something in the automotive industry, but not quite sure what yet. My dream job would be working for one of these companies that make jeep parts. But I'm not sure how hard it would be to get one of those jobs and how much they pay. I might make another thread asking if anyone knows about it.

I have a manual so it will definitely be a learning process of when to shift.

As long as you have an accurate tachometer to make sure you are not over revving, you should know just by how it feels when it accelerates!

I remember how weird my Liberty felt when I first started driving it. I didn't have to give it all that much throttle but it would just accelerate down the road with minimal RPM. You'll get use to it very quickly!!!

Good paying and stay at home sounds really good! I think I have decided that I want to do something in the automotive industry, but not quite sure what yet. My dream job would be working for one of these companies that make jeep parts. But I'm not sure how hard it would be to get one of those jobs and how much they pay. I might make another thread asking if anyone knows about it.

I would love to get a job at Jeep and/or a company that makes Jeep parts! It's something that I kind of keep an eye open for just incase something ever pops up!

I will say this about working from home, there are weeks where I work some insane hours because I don't have to travel and I'm already home. There are some great benefits as well, but there are some other interesting parts as well!

-Grant

Reactions: Calvin.8
I would love to get a job at Jeep and/or a company that makes Jeep parts! It's something that I kind of keep an eye open for just incase something ever pops up!

-Grant
I have a cousin that works for Ford who is currently working on the 2019 F-150, and I talked to him about working for Jeep, and he said that since Jeep is owned by Fiat Chrysler Automobiles, that I wouldn't be able to just apply to work on Jeeps, I could end up working on the new Fiat instead. Which is still ok to work on cars, but its not as cool as working on the brand new jeep wrangler haha.

Yes absolutely! Diesels do not have the same RPM or Revving ability that a gasoline engine has. The Kubota has a maximum RPM of like 3100~3300 rpm but I wouldn't spin it faster than 2800rpm personally.

My 2006 Liberty CRD has a redline of 4500rpm but honestly I never take it past 3000rpm, there just isn't a point, let the transmission shift and use the torque to accelerate with the turbo!

Just that where your 2.5l was struggling, that 2.2l V2203 Kubota engine would excel at and you won't have to spin the engine as hard either! You are going to have so much torque below 2000rpm you aren't going to have to rev the engine hard to make your Wrangler accelerate!

-Grant
Excellent! I spend a LOT of time at 35 mph and bellow in very steep terrain. Another plus for the diesel.

Excellent! I spend a LOT of time at 35 mph and bellow in very steep terrain. Another plus for the diesel.

Yeah I enjoy long slow climbs when I go wheeling on my properties so I'm really looking forward to the torque of the diesel plus the addition of two NP231 transfer cases!!!

Reactions: StG58
WOOT!

So I got some on my parts in! I really should be surprised as my postman drives I believe a 2000 Jeep Cherokee XJ RHD!

First off I got my doubler kit in!!!

MM6QuF0l.jpg

Second I got my Brown Dog Offroad motor mounts in some of the nicest packaging I have ever seen!!!

v0zvVa9l.jpg

This means I'm making a new video tonight! I'll be installing the mounts, probably cleaning up some of the under carriage of my TJ and I might start tackling taking apart the two NP231 transfer cases I have, I'll explain why this evening!

Thanks
Grant

Reactions: Calvin.8 and StG58
WOOT!

So I got some on my parts in! I really should be surprised as my postman drives I believe a 2000 Jeep Cherokee XJ RHD!

First off I got my doubler kit in!!!

View attachment 67335

Second I got my Brown Dog Offroad motor mounts in some of the nicest packaging I have ever seen!!!

View attachment 67336

This means I'm making a new video tonight! I'll be installing the mounts, probably cleaning up some of the under carriage of my TJ and I might start tackling taking apart the two NP231 transfer cases I have, I'll explain why this evening!

Thanks
Grant
Very nice! That's very cool. Nothing like new parts showing up.

As an aside, found out that there's a guy five miles down the road who specializes in used Kabota engines. He's got a plethora of V2203's available for sale at $1850. 60 day warranty, hear'm run and take your pick.

Very nice! That's very cool. Nothing like new parts showing up.

As an aside, found out that there's a guy five miles down the road who specializes in used Kabota engines. He's got a plethora of V2203's available for sale at $1850. 60 day warranty, hear'm run and take your pick.

If those are DI motors I would pay that all day long and truthfully even if they are IDI knowing you are getting a good motor is huge, I took a massive gamble on my V2403 and I got lucky!

-Grant

He's got DI engines. He had 11 of them and has sold eight so far. No problems if he sells out apparently, he's always picking up more from somewhere. Like I said earlier, Kubota is huge around here. Everything from tractors to pumps to generators...skidders...The bloody things seem to spring out of the ground once you start looking. I bet there's a farmer locally that has at least one sitting on a pallet behind his barn that he'd part with for cheap just to get it out from under foot.

See what you started Grant? lol, time to do more digging.

He's got DI engines. He had 11 of them and has sold eight so far. No problems if he sells out apparently, he's always picking up more from somewhere. Like I said earlier, Kubota is huge around here. Everything from tractors to pumps to generators...skidders...The bloody things seem to spring out of the ground once you start looking. I bet there's a farmer locally that has at least one sitting on a pallet behind his barn that he'd part with for cheap just to get it out from under foot.

See what you started Grant? lol, time to do more digging.

If you can pick up a V2203 DI running do it now! That's a great price! Can you ask if he has a D1703 or D1803 for me? I'm needing it for my next build after I get the TJ on the road!

Thanks
-Grant

Just a quick aside...I spent 15 years in the automotive industry, Tier one suppliers (the guys that make stuff for the Fords and Toyotas of the world).

Its ok...You learn a TON about things, but I was focused on manufacturing and they will chew you up and spit you out. They seem to pay well, but the work the snot out of you. Lots of hours...so its depressing to calculate your hourly rate. That applies to the engineering side as well. Might be different on the design side or business side though.

Ok, update...
He's getting his engines from a guy called "enginemon" on e-bay. That's out of Kansas City, Missouri. He does have at least one D1702 for $2150. So, not EXACTLY what I thought was going on.

https://www.ebay.com/str/enginemon?_pgn=2

This site contains affiliate links for which Jeep Wrangler TJ Forum may be compensated.
Ok, update...
He's getting his engines from a guy called "enginemon" on e-bay. That's out of Kansas City, Missouri. He does have at least one D1702 for $2150. So, not EXACTLY what I thought was going on.

https://www.ebay.com/str/enginemon?_pgn=2

Yeah it needs to be end 03, the 02 series is completely different!!!

-Grant

This site contains affiliate links for which Jeep Wrangler TJ Forum may be compensated.