Building a diesel powered RHD TJ Wrangler (Picture Heavy)

Great progress. Just subscribed to your youtube channel. I'm swapping a V2203 into a 2A with TH350 behind it.

NICE!!! That is my next project, I'm swapping a Kubota V1903 with a TH350 as well into my 1947 CJ-2A!

What does that engine weigh by the way? Not sure if I missed that or not.

Looks like it's coming along nicely!

The Kubota is abot 414lbs!

About 514 lbs dry, depending on accessories.

About 100lbs less!!! ;)

How does that compare to a 4.0? Not even sure what a 4.0 weighs to be honest.

The 4.0l is about 545lbs with accessories I believe so I'm loosing about 100lbs in the engine bay!

Sorry for the delay on everything! My computer died and I just spent the last week recovering all my files and my new computer should be up and running tomorrow!!

Thanks
Grant

Hey TJers,

Got another video uploaded. Computer troubles have been the biggest headache but I think I have them mostly sorted I hope!

Anyway back to the project, in this video I do an unboxing of parts that I got from www.parts-barn.com that will hopeful solve my hood clearance issues!

Let me know what you think!

Thanks
Grant

Reactions: BugoutJeep
I didn't realize you had so much of your build on way so far. I'm loving your build. I'm not caught up on your YouTube videos yet, but I'm certainly trying to binge them. And I need to get my build stuff on YouTube as well. I think it's funny that on these builds that once you get everything you think you need, it seems like you're constantly waiting on parts. I was foaming at the mouth at times waiting for parts.

I would suggest a 1" BL too while you're doing everything.

There's so much front/back room for the TJ. I love moving the engine forward and making room for the doubler. I wish I could do that so much, but I'm going to be stuck with an Atlas one of these days when I can save up. BTW I think crawl ratio isn't just your Tcase ratio, but your 1st gear and gear ratio as well. And what stinks with the diesel builds is that your gear ratio is going to be very low numerically. Your stuff will be awesome though with your doubler. I don't have much rocks that I regularly do so the 5:1 should be ok for my needs without going to the 4 speed Atlas, which looks very complicated from what I've seen.

For your more dedicated family overlanding build, if you wanna go cheap, the ZJs are pretty comparable to the JKUs. At one point I was going to pick up a JKU, but just couldn't bring myself to go through with it, by going to very similar dimensioned vehicles and replacing a 5.2 V8 with a 3.8 V6 just didn't make sense. Tires are a problem for ZJs though, it gets complicated fitting over 31" or 32" tires.

I'm really wanting a Kubota now. I've been wanting to do a 4x4 minivan with 3rd row seating one day, maybe I can figure something out. There are 4x4 Mercedes Sprinters that are awesome, but they're just so expensive and 4x4 is only part of the battle when you're off-road.

Reactions: RustyAutoholicGuy
Good bloody grief that's simple! Outstanding, thanks for the pictures. I'm a visual kind of guy.

I've been reading everything I can find on Kubota into Jeep conversions, and the results always seem to be universally outstanding. No appreciable downside on the freeway other than a slightly decreased top speed, and outstanding performance off road. No issues just putting around either. No reports of broken drive train parts.

The more I research, the more desirable this swap looks for a broad range of Jeep drivers.

For a 4x4 vehicle, diesel really starts to shine. The OEMs are able to kinda hack together some pretty good gas based systems, but partly that's just because the plan isn't to make the vehicle last forever. Also for high HP, which is great for sales, diesel has the problem of producing insane amounts of torque which gets insanely expensive to keep things from breaking.

A mechanical diesel injection is a thing of beauty, but with emissions and flexibility of the RPM range and a few other instances common rail is kinda king for OEMs. I flip flop between the two of what I really like. The nice thing is that for oil burners both systems can hold up extremely well. Common-rail can be controlled really well with less engine compression from what I can tell, but man mechanical injection is just so simple. The only issue I could think of besides worn mechanical components is if you're adjusting your fuel to the top end of your O2 intake. Then you'll run into problems at least with different air densities.

I didn't realize you had so much of your build on way so far. I'm loving your build. I'm not caught up on your YouTube videos yet, but I'm certainly trying to binge them. And I need to get my build stuff on YouTube as well. I think it's funny that on these builds that once you get everything you think you need, it seems like you're constantly waiting on parts. I was foaming at the mouth at times waiting for parts.

I would suggest a 1" BL too while you're doing everything.

There's so much front/back room for the TJ. I love moving the engine forward and making room for the doubler. I wish I could do that so much, but I'm going to be stuck with an Atlas one of these days when I can save up. BTW I think crawl ratio isn't just your Tcase ratio, but your 1st gear and gear ratio as well. And what stinks with the diesel builds is that your gear ratio is going to be very low numerically. Your stuff will be awesome though with your doubler. I don't have much rocks that I regularly do so the 5:1 should be ok for my needs without going to the 4 speed Atlas, which looks very complicated from what I've seen.

For your more dedicated family overlanding build, if you wanna go cheap, the ZJs are pretty comparable to the JKUs. At one point I was going to pick up a JKU, but just couldn't bring myself to go through with it, by going to very similar dimensioned vehicles and replacing a 5.2 V8 with a 3.8 V6 just didn't make sense. Tires are a problem for ZJs though, it gets complicated fitting over 31" or 32" tires.

I'm really wanting a Kubota now. I've been wanting to do a 4x4 minivan with 3rd row seating one day, maybe I can figure something out. There are 4x4 Mercedes Sprinters that are awesome, but they're just so expensive and 4x4 is only part of the battle when you're off-road.

Yeah the wait on parts is the worst. What also killed me is the wait on getting my new computer up and running. I've got a ton of video that needs to be processed and uploaded but no computer that can handle the workload at the moment!

I haven't been able to figure this out yet, but why would you recommend a 1" body lift?

As for the JKU/ZJ I've been in both, and what comes down to it is the height of both my wife and myself. My wife is 6" and I'm 6'5" with almost all my height in my torso, my brother who is 6' wears the same length jeans that I do. Because of the removable top of the Wranglers, I'm granted WAY more headroom than almost any other vehicle I have ever drive.

The only exception to that was the new Beetle from Volkswagen in the early 2000s, but other than that, head room as always been an issue which is why I love the Wranglers so much. Also I can't get enough of the removable top and doors, it's something I just can't live without anymore!

I totally get the 4x4 minivan! I refuse to own on just because I hate the engine layouts on 95% of minivans, I do all my own car work and again the Wrangler has really spoiled me. In less than an hour I can have the front grill off, and in another hour I can have both fenders off if I need which makes engine maintenance a breeze.

Again that's just me being picky but I completely get the Sprinter Van setup!!! They came with the same VM Motori CRD engine that is in my 2006 Liberty which is a great common rail engine!!!

Finally on the doubler you are correct! Because of the low RPM range and my limit to the first gear of my automatic transmission, the doubler is going to solve a ton of problems I was going to potentially run into! I'm not one for fast off-roading which I have said plenty of times, I like to go as slow as possible, and being able to just really crawl through the roads and have a ton of control going up and down obstacles with the low crawl ration from the transfer case double is going to be amazing!

For a 4x4 vehicle, diesel really starts to shine. The OEMs are able to kinda hack together some pretty good gas based systems, but partly that's just because the plan isn't to make the vehicle last forever. Also for high HP, which is great for sales, diesel has the problem of producing insane amounts of torque which gets insanely expensive to keep things from breaking.

A mechanical diesel injection is a thing of beauty, but with emissions and flexibility of the RPM range and a few other instances common rail is kinda king for OEMs. I flip flop between the two of what I really like. The nice thing is that for oil burners both systems can hold up extremely well. Common-rail can be controlled really well with less engine compression from what I can tell, but man mechanical injection is just so simple. The only issue I could think of besides worn mechanical components is if you're adjusting your fuel to the top end of your O2 intake. Then you'll run into problems at least with different air densities.

THIS!!!! I can't really add anything to this post! The CRD diesels are great, I love mine but I have invested a significant amount of money into tools and diagnostic hardware so I can do most of the maintenance myself.

The Kubota is going to be my first mechanical diesel oddly enough, all my other diesels have been common rail so I'm interested in seeing the difference though I can tell you when I got my V2403 running on shop floor last year I surprised by how fast it started compared to my CRD in my Jeep Liberty. Gives a new definition to a bump start!

As for emissions and RPM range, I've been talking to a few people and there are ways I can safely increase the RPM range on the Kubota, but I just don't think I will be needing it for this project at least. I have pretty ambitious 3rd project that I'm planning right now after this Wrangler and my 1947 CJ-2A are done.

As for tuning I will be running an EGT, Boost and I'm looking to get an IAT and Wideband gauges as well so I can monitor everything. My goal is tune the V2403 so that under heavy load going up a step grade the EGTs stay around 1050 ~ 1100 degrees which I've been told is a very safe range for the Kubota engines. Also I'm going to be putting on a catalytic converter designed for my displacement engine to help reduce emissions and noise as well. As excited I am about this, I want to make the Wrangler as environmental friendly as possible. I still hate the common thought that if you have a Wrangler you can't do anything about your fuel economy, I'm seriously trying to prove everyone wrong on this one!

I hadn't thought about the air density honestly, so that is something I will need to keep in mind as well!

I do hope you post your videos on youtube as well! I've still considered the R2.8L for my 3rd project but I'm still in a massive planning phase for my 1947 CJ-2A at the moment, I'm trying to get all the parts and pieces behind the scenes while I'm also working on this project!

Thanks
Grant

The height thing seems very interesting to me with the TJ. I feel like I'm sitting so high in my seat and really want to drop my seat down 3" or so and in the ZJ I don't feel like that. I'm 5' 10 and my grandfather is actually just under 5 ft and likes the Wranglers, because he can actually see out. And yes for maintenance Wranglers are awesome, but I haven't worked on a JKU yet, but I love their multi-piece hardtops. If you're wanting a common rail, I think the R2.8 is probably the easiest swap

For the 1" BL I was thinking it might help with your clearance issue. I also found this helpful, but not necessary when adapting my power steering fittings. Of course where I had clearance issues, you won't be having issues. Also I think a 1" BL, might be able to give you some options on the fuel tank later on and adapting your mounts to raise the tank. I didn't do anything with my tank mounts to raise my tank, but I kind of want to.

On my fuel tank and in December/January I was messing with my truck and I kind of want to integrate a sump setup for my tank like I was doing in my truck and if I needed a lift pump in the Jeep, I would really think about adding an aftermarket one with heaters in the case of cold climate stuff. I've been loving my block heater, but when it was single digits here, the diesel wasn't flowing very well and I had to really let the vehicle idle under cold starts or the exhaust really really stunk.

We've got a 50's Willy's CJ and I like your idea of the 1.9L in it. My only issue is that the steering and suspension seems very poor and it's hard to get much speed, but we may have some other issues as well. Unfortunately it's a backburner type project so I haven't done much with it.

I haven't done over 2,500 rpms from my R2.8, so you've got plenty of RPMs, though it would be nice to see a torque curve to verify. The only issue with rpm window would be transmission options, maybe some top speed stuff.

I saw some mention of gear ratios, and for 33s or even 35s, I'd probably go with 3.73s myself, but I'm not as familiar with your transmissions. In my head the 3.55 is about perfect, but there's some issues with lockers and stuff as well and the Cummins likes 1,500 to 2k RPMs. I was towing beyond what the Jeep is rated at the other day and taking off in first wasn't easy. I've seen some stuff from some companies that do a lot with the R2.8 and they said there's a bit of an issue with the EGR and throttle. I have to be honest, EGR is still on for a couple reasons, Warranty and so much other work that's needed first.

I really don't think EGR is good for diesels and I believe it's a net negative for the environment. EGR makes some sense on gas engines, but I haven't studied it much for gas engines. I think politicians aren't engineers either. I think there may even be a slight nefarious reason, because imo the greatest threat to the electric car stuff is diesel for anyone that's looking at efficiency and reliability. I don't suggest huffing fumes, but EGR reduces efficiency and does harm components. To make up for that loss in efficiency and reduced component life, you're going to need to use more fuel, extract, produce and transport more components.

For the Kubota are you going to run some biodiesel? I can do up to B25 I think, at some point I'd like to try some. The one thing I do dislike with the Common rail is the lack of flexibility in fuels. Mechanical injection is really good for this. You can be running some mixed and filtered WVO. It'll reduce the efficiency some I believe, but might make your fuel net you under $2 a gallon. Technically diesel could be under $2 a gallon anyway, but we process it more here and rightly so I think. In small amounts ULSD isn't a big deal, but if you allowed all the trains, big rigs, etc to run ULSD we'd have an acid rain index with our weather forecast.

Reactions: StG58
Oh, maybe I missed this, because I just binged through your postings, but what are you doing for vacuum? Is that port for your new intake for the Crankcase Vent?

Oh and yeah mini-van layouts suck. It's a way way way early plan. But unlike most of the sprinters and stuff I'd mainly just like something that can seat a handful of kids and pets and still get to unique places. It's the time of year now that I'm dying to get outside and see the sun again. So all I can think of are like 4x4 projects and stuff to get out and away from the concrete jungles and filing cabinet neighborhoods.

In school they don't tell you when you go to be an engineer that you'll no longer see the sun if you go take a good paying, steady job. Just gotta tell yourself get the savings up, get some projects figured out, get out of debt, and don't forget to plan with your family an early retirement strategy to get back to what should be a normal life.

What editing software are you using for YT? So are you building a desktop. I can't wait until you start doing the drone shots and everything that everyone does now :).

Reactions: RustyAutoholicGuy
Hey TJers,

Finally got another episode up! Trying to get caught up, I'm about 6 weeks estimated behind right now and I'm also shifting my strategy on how and when I'm going to be workin on the Wrangler! Looking to spend 60 ~ 90 minutes a day on the project instead of trying to find an evening I can put 4 ~ 6 hours into it, because I just haven't had the time!

What editing software are you using for YT? So are you building a desktop. I can't wait until you start doing the drone shots and everything that everyone does now :).

I tried building a Hackintosh with just back to back issues that I got tired of. I was doing everything on my 2012 Mac Mini which started dying and ended up getting a 2018 Mac Mini to replace it. As for the software I'm using Final Cut Pro, though DaVinci Resolve has a wonderfully free version, I find using Final Cut Pro to be easier especially with transitions and my subtitles that I had to the videos.

Thanks
Grant

Last edited:
Ha, I'm a Mac guy and once build a Hackintosh. I got tired of it in time and just decided to say screw it and went solely with my iMac 5K, which I don't regret at all. Yes, you pay a bit more for Apple, but it's totally worth it.

Anyways, once this thing is done, I want to know how much money you've put into it total, how many hours, and what your average MPG is. That will be very interesting to see.

I regularly turn people away from the R2.8 swaps because most don't seem to realize that once it's all said and done, you'll be into it for 25k, and if you're planning on doing it to get better fuel economy, the amount you'll spend on it will far outweigh the decreased fuel costs (unless we're talking about over a long period of time).

You may be onto something here with the Kubota swap, IF it can be done for cheap enough.

Ha, I'm a Mac guy and once build a Hackintosh. I got tired of it in time and just decided to say screw it and went solely with my iMac 5K, which I don't regret at all. Yes, you pay a bit more for Apple, but it's totally worth it.

Anyways, once this thing is done, I want to know how much money you've put into it total, how many hours, and what your average MPG is. That will be very interesting to see.

I regularly turn people away from the R2.8 swaps because most don't seem to realize that once it's all said and done, you'll be into it for 25k, and if you're planning on doing it to get better fuel economy, the amount you'll spend on it will far outweigh the decreased fuel costs (unless we're talking about over a long period of time).

You may be onto something here with the Kubota swap, IF it can be done for cheap enough.

Yeah I'll do a build cost break down when I'm done. Admittedly I bought stuff that was not needed for the swap, so if all you are wanting to do is the Kubota engine with adapter, accessory drive/motor mount plate adapters and turbo upgrade it can be done for much cheaper.

I also realized with moving the engine around and going with a doubler setup and then I decided to go purchase a Langmuir personal CNC plasma cutting table, the cost is has risen in ways that it wouldn't normally be needed truthfully. However I bought the CNC because I have several other Jeep projects after this one which make this project seem simple in comparison.

I kind of like the R2.8 but it sure ain’t cheap. Nice to think about other options. Options more inline with my wallet. Would really like to do a diesel conversion.

Same here. I was really excited about the Cummins R2.8l when it was announced. However when I found out just how expensive it was I was knew it was not in much budget not even close. Truthfully, if you have a manual transmission and you got a turbo Kubota 03 series engine, if the stock turbo is a TD03, you could just modify the waste gate to bump the boost from 5psi to around 16 ~ 17 psi of boost and it would work in a Wrangler. I would still recommend adding an intercooler to it, but that wouldn't add a ton of cost truthfully.

I'll try to go back and look at everything I bought and see how much everything has cost, but I really believe if you did some shopping around you could do the engine swap for under 3K.

Thanks!
-Grant

Yeah I'll do a build cost break down when I'm done. Admittedly I bought stuff that was not needed for the swap, so if all you are wanting to do is the Kubota engine with adapter, accessory drive/motor mount plate adapters and turbo upgrade it can be done for much cheaper.

I also realized with moving the engine around and going with a doubler setup and then I decided to go purchase a Langmuir personal CNC plasma cutting table, the cost is has risen in ways that it wouldn't normally be needed truthfully. However I bought the CNC because I have several other Jeep projects after this one which make this project seem simple in comparison.

Isn't that the way it always goes with Jeeps though? The whole, "Well, while I'm in there I might as well do this." mentality. I think we're all guilty of that, which is why I always tell people to plan to spend a lot more than they are thinking about in their head :ROFLMAO: