Building a diesel powered RHD TJ Wrangler (Picture Heavy)

Hey TJers,

So I finally got my Wrangler looking like a TJ again!!! Check it out!

View attachment 119412

I did end up removing the air conditioning condenser and the auxiliary transmission cooler from the grill. Also I had to install the new radiator support bumpers into the grill for the body lift I had installed back in July. It took me way longer to get the bumpers to seat correctly into the bottom of the grill than I originally thought it would take!

I also put the back half of the two piece hard top that I picked up earlier this summer on the Wrangler as well. Somehow I don't have any pictures of it yet, so I'll go take a few this evening and post them soon!

Thanks
Grant

Video:
Nice work Grant. It finally looks like a jeep again.

Reactions: RustyAutoholicGuy
Nice work Grant. It finally looks like a jeep again.

Thank you @Alex01 it's made going in the swap and working on the Wrangler much easier! I really do feel like the end is in sight but the last 10% takes forever!

So I got the door panels painted tan and the rear interior installed back into the Wrangler.

0in8WYVl.jpg

I've learned my lesson from the dashboard and I'm letting the door panels cure as long as possible before I try to install them!

Also I got the tan carpet install into my Wrangler. The carpet came out of a 2000 TJ Wrangler and doesn't directly fit into my 2006 TJ Wrangler. I ended up using a knife to cut cross slits into the carpet where I need to install bolts. It actually worked way better than I was anticipating and gave a really clean look to the carpet installation.

M4gll6Fl.jpg

I also found some parts I was missing so in my next post I will have hopefully finished putting the dashboard back together and I can focus on getting the Kubota V2403 engine finished.

Let me know what you think!

Thanks
Grant

Last edited:
Hey TJers,

Well that took way to long to get around too! I finally got my painted door panels installed on my TJ however in the process of doing so I realized I forgot to install the HVAC vent tubes back onto the dashboard when I painted the dashboard.

yIsFYmQl.jpg

SO I pulled the dashboard again, installed the missing vent tubes and got in back in the Wrangler. I'm really hoping that is the last time I have to pull this dashboard anytime soon!

ggPpvQGl.jpg

I also finally got all the remaining pieces I was missing and my goal is to have the Wrangler running by the end of November or the beginning of December. I don't want this project to pour over into 2020, I have a build I'm desperate to start in 2020 and I need to get this one back on the trails!

Thanks
Grant

Reactions: Alex01
Hey TJers,

Completely forgot to update this thread. So I started working on figuring out where I wanted to put the shifters for my transfer cases and the AW4 automatic. I bought the narrow aluminum center console from GenRight so I don't have to go through the hassle of making my own console, expensive but a great product! Here are a couple of pictures of the progress:

nkdupHgl.jpg

j47wLs8l.jpg

Here is the video of that work so far:

Thanks
Grant

Hey TJers,

Completely forgot to update this thread. So I started working on figuring out where I wanted to put the shifters for my transfer cases and the AW4 automatic. I bought the narrow aluminum center console from GenRight so I don't have to go through the hassle of making my own console, expensive but a great product! Here are a couple of pictures of the progress:

View attachment 127511

View attachment 127512

Here is the video of that work so far:

Thanks
Grant
Genright Console is super clean. So excited for when this baby drives

Do you think the 42RLE would also suffice for this swap? With gears and tires i spend most my time at 2000 rpm when in OD which seems perfectly suited to the kubota / TDI. very interested to see how your shifting works out. Thanks a lot for the documentation. You are paving the way for copycats like myself. :)

Do you think the 42RLE would also suffice for this swap? With gears and tires i spend most my time at 2000 rpm when in OD which seems perfectly suited to the kubota / TDI. very interested to see how your shifting works out. Thanks a lot for the documentation. You are paving the way for copycats like myself. :)

In terms of gearing yes, but there is no aftermarket controller for the 42rle, and you would have to get a TCU out from a 2003 model I believe to make it work since the 2003 model the TCU was separate from the the ECU.

I'm not saying it wouldn't work but it wasn't a path I wanted to go down on my build!

-Grant

i have the 04 so it also has the separate TCU but good point not sure what all it needs from the motor that will be missing.

i have the 04 so it also has the separate TCU but good point not sure what all it needs from the motor that will be missing.
This is worth looking into since the 42rle actually has an OD that is much better suited to the low RPMs of the diesel! I am considering a swap like this as well down the road so I am interested to see if the 42RLE could be made to work.

This is worth looking into since the 42rle actually has an OD that is much better suited to the low RPMs of the diesel! I am considering a swap like this as well down the road so I am interested to see if the 42RLE could be made to work.
Yes, when i was looking at the torque / speed curves of diesel it is absolutely perfect for the 42RLE shift points.

Yes, when i was looking at the torque / speed curves of diesel it is absolutely perfect for the 42RLE shift points.
The only point of concern would be the "2" torque rating, but given that they seem to hold up behind turbo/charged 4.0s, I don't think a small Kubota would tear them apart.

An LJR for 6k!!!!!
That's one crazy deal.

Yeah I've almost got it completely working, just realized my locker switch is now not doing anything so I need to figure that out but other than that it works perfectly!

So damn lucky!!!

Yeah it was a hell of score, and I thought my RHD TJ Wrangler on owner for $5500 was a steal!

Reactions: Alex01
Just to give this thread some life, I just found out I have Monday off, so I'm aiming to get the Wrangler to the point where I can turn the key and get the engine to spin, I won't have fuel lines hooked up unless a whole lot goes right on Monday LOL!
Really stoked to see how this turns out and if it's enough power. Keep at it! No more buying Jeep's :)

Hey TJers,

MASSIVE update because I haven't updated this thread in a while, and because I found a 2005 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon for $6K which admittedly distracted me for about 3 weeks! Enough with my LJ Rubicon and back to my RHD Diesel Swap TJ Wrangler!

I had President's day off and was able to get my diesel swap project back on track! To name just a few things, front grill and radiator installed, skip plate for the AW4 automatic installed, transmission cooling lines plumbed, torque converter bolts installed, starter installed and wiring for the ignition key completed as well!

By the end of the day I was able to turn the key and see the Kubota V2403 diesel engine spin in the engine bay of my TJ Wrangler!

I've been trying to get more pictures but I was flying through everything and didn't stop long enough to take any so here is the video of everything!

Also I've switched my format from doing subtitles to doing voiceover. It's still a bit of a learning curve but in terms of editing it's SO much easier than dealing with subtitles. Let me know what you think.

Also I think my realistic goal is to have it running and driving by the end of March, I have a few days off in early March were I'm going to really focus on getting as much stuff as I can done on my TJ Wrangler. I'm not going to miss another year of wheeling again!!!!

Thanks
Grant