Building a diesel powered RHD TJ Wrangler (Picture Heavy)

That's so awesome. Wow.

Yeah I can't wait to see you in 4Lo Lo next. Simply awesome.

CONGRATS!!!!!

I know it's was so tempting to try it out but I really need to get some gauges working first before I try too much stuff . . . hmm or do I? Actually might not be a bad idea to try out all the combinations!

Hi 2-Hi
Hi 4-Hi
Hi 4-Lo
Lo 2-Hi
Lo 4-Hi
Lo 4-Lo

Thank you so much @DieselJeep

-Grant

Reactions: BugoutJeep
I know it's was so tempting to try it out but I really need to get some gauges working first before I try too much stuff . . . hmm or do I? Actually might not be a bad idea to try out all the combinations!

Hi 2-Hi
Hi 4-Hi
Hi 4-Lo
Lo 2-Hi
Lo 4-Hi
Lo 4-Lo

Thank you so much @DieselJeep

-Grant
What is your lo-4-lo crawl ratio?

Hey TJers,

It's been 510 days since I last drove my RHD TJ Wrangler. In that time I began to wonder if I did the right thing, if what I was trying to build would even work. Will I still have the same feeling of excitement when I get behind the wheel?

However driving my RHD TJ Wrangler around my property again for the first time in 510 days but with a diesel engine powering it is one the greatest feeling ever!

-Grant

that a boy Grant !!!!
Congrats !!!!
I made a couple of phone calls yesterday to round up my “gear head buddies “ to finally quit talking and get goin on our “SPARKPLUG-DELETE” project,
Despite the corona alert
By the way, I entirely missed why you picked a
Take care

—•|||||•—👋🏿

Reactions: RustyAutoholicGuy
that a boy Grant !!!!
Congrats !!!!
I made a couple of phone calls yesterday to round up my “gear head buddies “ to finally quit talking and get goin on our “SPARKPLUG-DELETE” project,
Despite the corona alert
By the way, I entirely missed why you picked a
Take care

—•|||||•—👋🏿
Ooops, something went missing in my last question:
Why did you pick a RH drive JEEP ?

that a boy Grant !!!!
Congrats !!!!
Despite the corona alert
By the way, I entirely missed why you picked a RH drive JEEP ?
Take care

—•|||||•—👋🏿

That's awesome that you are going to get started on your Sparkplug-Delete project!

So I have loved Jeeps as long as I can remember and my first love of Jeeps was actually going to the main Post Office hub in my home town and watching the old DJ-5 Postal Jeeps being loaded and unloaded with mail when I was little. This was right as the Post Office was getting the LLVs as well, but I feel in love with the old Mail Jeeps! Always wanted one growing up.

Anyway fast forward to 2017, I'd been in the market for my first Wrangler for years but just keep missing all them, I was always second or third in line. Well this TJ pops up on Craigslist, RHD Jeep but the picture makes it look Red, but the price was right and it was all original, which was a big thing for me, I wanted an all original TJ. You add in the fact that it was Right Hand Drive as well so I figured I'd go look at it. Called the lady, I was first in line for once, but I thought it was Red which is admittedly one of my least favorite colors. Drive out to see the TJ, it's about 25 minutes from my house and the first thing I notice is it's Orange, which is my favorite color, not Red! So come to find out it had been posted for 13 minutes before I called and I had first dibs on it, and I bought it that day! I never intended my first Wrangler to be a Right Hand Drive but I got one that was Right Hand Drive in my favorite color and it's what I've been driving and wheeling ever since!

Grant
Did you install stiffer springs in the front end ?
, mind you that KUBOTA is probably lighter than the original I-6

No I haven't touched the suspension at all! The original I-6 4.0l was around 550lbs if I remember and the Kubota V2403 is only 415lbs so I dropped quite a bit of weights but with doubler and everything else I've added, I would guess it's only about 70 pounds lighter than when I started!

Sorry for the late response, I was wrenching on the the TJ all weekend trying to get it closer to passing inspection again!

-Grant

Reactions: Alex01
That's awesome that you are going to get started on your Sparkplug-Delete project!

So I have loved Jeeps as long as I can remember and my first love of Jeeps was actually going to the main Post Office hub in my home town and watching the old DJ-5 Postal Jeeps being loaded and unloaded with mail when I was little. This was right as the Post Office was getting the LLVs as well, but I feel in love with the old Mail Jeeps! Always wanted one growing up.

Anyway fast forward to 2017, I'd been in the market for my first Wrangler for years but just keep missing all them, I was always second or third in line. Well this TJ pops up on Craigslist, RHD Jeep but the picture makes it look Red, but the price was right and it was all original, which was a big thing for me, I wanted an all original TJ. You add in the fact that it was Right Hand Drive as well so I figured I'd go look at it. Called the lady, I was first in line for once, but I thought it was Red which is admittedly one of my least favorite colors. Drive out to see the TJ, it's about 25 minutes from my house and the first thing I notice is it's Orange, which is my favorite color, not Red! So come to find out it had been posted for 13 minutes before I called and I had first dibs on it, and I bought it that day! I never intended my first Wrangler to be a Right Hand Drive but I got one that was Right Hand Drive in my favorite color and it's what I've been driving and wheeling ever since!

No I haven't touched the suspension at all! The original I-6 4.0l was around 550lbs if I remember and the Kubota V2403 is only 415lbs so I dropped quite a bit of weights but with doubler and everything else I've added, I would guess it's only about 70 pounds lighter than when I started!

Sorry for the late response, I was wrenching on the the TJ all weekend trying to get it closer to passing inspection again!

-Grant
Not to worry Grant
Thx for Taking the time
- I’ll get a hold of JEFF DANIELS JEEPS . I purchased several parts from them for the CUMMINS-swap , but never asked them about the stiffer springs for the front end , since the 4BT is considerably heavier than I-6 gas pot
- it’s been 5 weeks since my new hip joint got “installed “ and I’ll see the surgeon on the 30 of March for follow up
- we self isolated us as a family until April 01 due to “the virus “ and I have 3 buddies lined up to help me tear into it , starting the weekend after
Hahaha
Keep ya posted, but it won’t b as elaborate as your swap
lol

-•|||||•-👋🏿

• Wow
Not to worry Grant
Thx for Taking the time
- I’ll get a hold of JEFF DANIELS JEEPS . I purchased several parts from them for the CUMMINS-swap , but never asked them about the stiffer springs for the front end , since the 4BT is considerably heavier than I-6 gas pot
- it’s been 5 weeks since my new hip joint got “installed “ and I’ll see the surgeon on the 30 of March for follow up
- we self isolated us as a family until April 01 due to “the virus “ and I have 3 buddies lined up to help me tear into it , starting the weekend after
Hahaha
lol

-•|||||•-👋🏿

I'm really interested in following your build! I wish I was closer! I would love to help wrench and document some of your build as well! It might sound odd but I think part of the enjoyment for me on my build was the filming and the putting the videos together. In a way it helped me SEE my progress I was making when I went over a year without anything running, it was a visual reminded that I was chipping away the progress!

I think once you swap is done we should get you, @DETOUR , @Mike Alfano, @TDI Sahara and @DieselJeep all together on a trail somewhere together to see how all our various diesel swaps perform! It's really incredible that we have 5 completely different diesel powered TJs! I think yours is the most common with @TDI Sahara being the second common followed by @DieselJeep being the third most common, but I really want to see how @Mike Alfano swap performs because I own a Diesel Liberty and have dreamed about doing that swap for a long time!

The crazy part about it is we aren't even including the OM617 which I know has been swapped into TJs as well!

I just think it would be neat to get all those diesel swaps onto one trail and see how they each perform! I think I would have the least amount of power out of the group!

-Grant

Reactions: Alex01
Hey TJers,

Diesel swaps all go smoothly without any issues right? Not on my diesel swap! After driving my Kubota diesel powered RHD TJ Wrangler for the first time, I noticed coolant was leaking from the front of the engine!

Turns out it was a relatively simple fix, for some reason, the bolts that held the water pump to the block on the front of the V2403 were all loose! Just to be extra cautious though, I put a thin layer of blue Permatex on the water pump before securing it back to the engine. Also I replaced the lower radiator hose that I had cut too short the first time around!

Hope to test the Wrangler offroad soon but still need to get a few other things done first before I take the TJ wheeling!

Thanks
Grant

Reactions: DETOUR and Alex01
I'm with you on ground clearance, that's another reason I decided to move the DOC in my build. Currently the DOC puts that exhaust out below my factory skid plate. Ultimately I want my skid plate pretty much flat to bottom of the frame and that extra loop of exhaust just seems useless to me.

Of course I'm going to probably just take the Jeep to an exhaust shop. They've got the benders and stuff. If it's too loud I'll just cut the exhaust and add an inline muffler.
Hey TJers,

It's been 510 days since I last drove my RHD TJ Wrangler. In that time I began to wonder if I did the right thing, if what I was trying to build would even work. Will I still have the same feeling of excitement when I get behind the wheel?

However driving my RHD TJ Wrangler around my property again for the first time in 510 days but with a diesel engine powering it is one the greatest feeling ever!

-Grant
Not to worry Grant
Thx for Taking the time
Hahaha
lol

-•|||||•-👋🏿

Grant
One either loves the DIESEL or not?
Here’s a statement on my lunch box

-•|||||•-👋🏿
F1002EFD-5477-4DF2-B70A-7AC4B694CB5C.jpeg

Hey TJers,

Diesel swaps all go smoothly without any issues right? Not on my diesel swap! After driving my Kubota diesel powered RHD TJ Wrangler for the first time, I noticed coolant was leaking from the front of the engine!

Turns out it was a relatively simple fix, for some reason, the bolts that held the water pump to the block on the front of the V2403 were all loose! Just to be extra cautious though, I put a thin layer of blue Permatex on the water pump before securing it back to the engine. Also I replaced the lower radiator hose that I had cut too short the first time around!

Hope to test the Wrangler offroad soon but still need to get a few other things done first before I take the TJ wheeling!

Thanks
Grant

Grant
I noticed the electric fan on your rig
What’s the brand and are your still using the OEM-radiator or ... ?

i wanna go with an electric fan as well

Grant
I noticed the electric fan on your rig
What’s the brand and are your still using the OEM-radiator or ... ?

i wanna go with an electric fan as well

Yeah I'm using the OEM-radiator, had to because it's offset from the power steering box! The fan and shroud are Mishimoto but I haven't gotten around to connecting it yet!

-Grant

Reactions: DETOUR
I'm really interested in following your build! I wish I was closer! I would love to help wrench and document some of your build as well! It might sound odd but I think part of the enjoyment for me on my build was the filming and the putting the videos together. In a way it helped me SEE my progress I was making when I went over a year without anything running, it was a visual reminded that I was chipping away the progress!

I think once you swap is done we should get you, @DETOUR , @Mike Alfano, @TDI Sahara and @DieselJeep all together on a trail somewhere together to see how all our various diesel swaps perform! It's really incredible that we have 5 completely different diesel powered TJs! I think yours is the most common with @TDI Sahara being the second common followed by @DieselJeep being the third most common, but I really want to see how @Mike Alfano swap performs because I own a Diesel Liberty and have dreamed about doing that swap for a long time!

The crazy part about it is we aren't even including the OM617 which I know has been swapped into TJs as well!

I just think it would be neat to get all those diesel swaps onto one trail and see how they each perform! I think I would have the least amount of power out of the group!

-Grant

that'd be an aaawesome comparison .
RUBICON-trail is definitely on my radar, but at this stage in our life it’s not on our families agenda
Lol

-Grant

Sounds like a great idea...I'd be down for meeting up somewhere and spending some time on the trails with the rest of you.....not looking like it's going to happen this summer tho…..government of Ontario is very likely to cancel school for the rest of this year....We're 80 percent complete right now and I already enquired about getting it out of the school.....answer was a big fat NO. So this build will go into it's 5th semester.....
stay safe everyone!

Sounds like a great idea...I'd be down for meeting up somewhere and spending some time on the trails with the rest of you.....not looking like it's going to happen this summer tho…..government of Ontario is very likely to cancel school for the rest of this year....We're 80 percent complete right now and I already enquired about getting it out of the school.....answer was a big fat NO. So this build will go into it's 5th semester.....
stay safe everyone!
that’s a an aaawesome looking blue Mike on your rig .

Reactions: Mike Alfano
that'd be an aaawesome comparison .
RUBICON-trail is definitely on my radar, but at this stage in our life it’s not on our families agenda
Lol

I completely understand and agree with you as on the family agenda side of things! I still wonder if it would be worth trying to plan something like like 2022 maybe? Like a good 2 years out? That would give all of us time to really get our swaps done and get any gremlins we find worked out!

stay safe everyone!

That's sucks @Mike Alfano but hey your build is coming along VERY well! I don't think I would be ready to go anywhere this year or next honestly, I would really want to put so miles on my TJ before heading to the Rubicon!

that’s a an aaawesome looking blue Mike on your rig .

Yeah I have to agree with @DETOUR on this one as well @Mike Alfano! Blue isn't normally my favorite color but your Wrangler just looks awesome!

-Grant

I completely understand and agree with you as on the family agenda side of things! I still wonder if it would be worth trying to plan something like like 2022 maybe? Like a good 2 years out? That would give all of us time to really get our swaps done and get any gremlins we find worked out!

That's sucks @Mike Alfano but hey your build is coming along VERY well! I don't think I would be ready to go anywhere this year or next honestly, I would really want to put so miles on my TJ before heading to the Rubicon!

Yeah I have to agree with @DETOUR on this one as well @Mike Alfano! Blue isn't normally my favorite color but your Wrangler just looks awesome!

-Grant
Thanks, it's a Dodge/Jeep color....called Hydro Blue.....only change we made was the shine....added flattening agent to the clear coat......will have to be re-cleared once it's finished because the various body parts and tub were painted at different times and my brother didn't write down the mixing ratios of the flattening agent.....which is why
the parts do not have a uniform look.....some parts are flatter.....not a huge deal....

I really really wanted to finish this build by June....and am very disappointed that it's not going to happen.....My family has a body shop in the town where I live and I thought that I would finish the project there....on my own.....in the evenings.....we'll see what happens....hoping there's a chance that we could return to school next month....who really knows...there's a huge Jeep rendezvous not far from where I live....it's on Drummond Island, Michigan.....let's make something happen.....Thanks again guys...for all the comments and well wishes...!

-Grant

guys
if any one of you is interested in the NAVY-blue of my LJ , please let me know and I’ll peel it off including the B.C. - pinstripes ( speak trail scratches ) and donate it 😂
- I’m contemplating of repainting the LJ with some kind of boxliner textured compound in a bright colour like neon green ,red, dozer orange ,safety yellow ( like my steelies) or light grey/silver

Sorry , got of the DIESEL topic

Thanks, it's a Dodge/Jeep color....called Hydro Blue.....only change we made was the shine....added flattening agent to the clear coat......will have to be re-cleared once it's finished because the various body parts and tub were painted at different times and my brother didn't write down the mixing ratios of the flattening agent.....which is why
the parts do not have a uniform look.....some parts are flatter.....not a huge deal....

I really really wanted to finish this build by June....and am very disappointed that it's not going to happen.....My family has a body shop in the town where I live and I thought that I would finish the project there....on my own.....in the evenings.....we'll see what happens....hoping there's a chance that we could return to school next month....who really knows...there's a huge Jeep rendezvous not far from where I live....it's on Drummond Island, Michigan.....let's make something happen.....Thanks again guys...for all the comments and well wishes...!

I was there last year as well, I wanted my Wrangler done by the summer so I could wheel during the system and fall! I'm surprised the school won't let you take your Jeep but I'm sure there are things around it that I'm not understanding as well o_O

Honestly going to Drummond Island, Michigan is more doable for me than the Rubicon Trail! That being said if we can plan in 2 years or so to have a diesel Wrangler convoy of Jeeps do the Rubicon I'm all for it!!!

Also @Mike Alfano I need to catch up on your build, I think the last time I read through it was November :eek:

guys
if any one of you is interested in the NAVY-blue of my LJ , please let me know and I’ll peel it off including the B.C. - pinstripes ( speak trail scratches ) and donate it 😂
- I’m contemplating of repainting the LJ with some kind of boxliner textured compound in a bright colour like neon green ,red, dozer orange ,safety yellow ( like my steelies) or light grey/silver

Sorry , got of the DIESEL topic

@DETOUR I think you should do it Safety Yellow just for the fact that I consider the 4BT more of a work truck engine! I think that would be an awesome color and also fitting for the power plant that your putting in your LJ!

-Grant