Project Peggy: My 1947 CJ-2A Kubota Diesel D1503/TH350/RF1A Build

RustyAutoholicGuy

Diesel Wrangler Guy
Supporting Member
Hey TJers,

SO apparently having both a TJ RHD and a YJ Islander isn't enough for me! Again thank you @Chris for letting me post this build here, as I already have two other builds . . . yeah.

Here is Peggy, my 1947 CJ-2A that I got back in March of 2016.

8RnrlN2l.jpg

This was the Jeep that got me into the idea of a Kubota Diesel Engine Swap! As most of you know, on an old CJ-2A the driver's seat is bolted to the gas tank which makes me nervous! Also I'm not a fan of carburetors, I don't have the ear/touch to tune them at all. Don't get me wrong I respect the heck out of the Go Devil engine, it's fantastic, but I'm just not a fan of carburetors!!!

So between being bolted to gasoline and not being able to tune carburetor's, I started looking for a way to swap in a diesel engine into my CJ-2A which lead to learning about the Kubota 03 series engines! I actually found a Kubota V1903 1.9l about 45 minutes away and went a bought that Kubota diesel engine in April 2016. The plan at the time was to bolt the V1903 to my T-90/Dana 18 combo and just drive the CJ-2A like that.

Well after taking the Go Devil engine out of the CJ-2A all the problems with the 75 year old CJ-2A became real obvious. Bent frame, horrible steering, questionable "upgraded" brakes, flat leafs, the list just keeps going!

So the project was put on the back burner until about a month ago when I started finding all the parts I wanted for the build in less than a month! Here is the video previewing what I'm going to be running in my CJ-2A!

As I mentioned in my video above, driving my TJ Wrangler changed how I wanted to build my CJ-2A. Wheeling with an automatic really changed my life! However the short 80" wheelbase is killing me for wanting an automatic so out with the V1903 4 cylinder diesel engine and in with the D1503 3 cylinder diesel engine!

Here is the currently build plan for the CJ-2A:

Engine: Kubota D1503 1.5l 3-Cylinder Turbo Diesel (Stock 45HP!)
Transmission: GM TH350 Automatic being upgraded with a Reverse Manual Valve Body with Engine Braking from TCI
Transfer Case: Toyota RF1A being upgraded to 4.70 to 1 Low Range
Frame: Custom Built by Me
Axles: Dana 44s Front and Rear
Gearing: 3.92 gears in the front and rear
Lockers: Ox Manual Lockers Front and Rear
Suspension: 2.5 ~ 4" OME Front Leaf Springs from a YJ Wrangler. Subject to change
Grill: 9-Slot Willy's MB Grill
Body: My 1947 CJ-2A Body
Windshield: CJ-3A Rounded Corner Windshield
Tires: 900-16 NDT (35" tall about 10" inches wide classic military look)
Brakes: GM 3/4 Disc Brakes in the Front and Rear. It's almost a bolt on mod for my Dana 44 axles I have
Gauges: New Vintage USA Aviator Gauges for a classic look but modern instrumentation
Lightening: LED Headlights and Taillights
Winch: Warn M8274 with Synthetic Rope
Steering: TBD but possible XJ Cherokee Power Steering or might just go with a Saginaw manual steering box

This is the Jeep that I have always wanted and have dreamt about building. I plan on using this Jeep to tackle everything from the Rubicon Trail to Moab and anything on either coast of the United States. I will most likely be towing this rig to trails, because with a 3-Cylinder Diesel engine and a TH350 automatic, my max speed is only going to be around 65mph if I'm pushing the D1503 really hard. So I'd rather tow the CJ-2A to places and then wheel the crap out of it!!!

Like I said in my video I don't know if this is going to work. It very well might not and if it doesn't I do have a backup plan!

Let me know what you think! I realize this makes 3 builds for me at the moment, and I really need to finish My Orange TJ Wrangler RHD first, but finally finding the correct engine/transmission/transfer case combination just jump started getting this CJ-2A build off the ground and in front of my YJ Wrangler Swap honestly as well!

-Grant

• Wow
Reactions: StG58 and Chris
I can't decide if that is a super cool project or just wrong! Its a classic Jeep, it should be restored original. Then there is WWII and Japan and ... all that. But I love Kubota engines and what a unique concept. I also really appreciate your desire to just give it a try and see. I don't have near that much drive or talent to take on that kind of a project. But my hats off to you. It will be interesting to see how that works.

If all else fails, you can sell it and go buy a diesel Roxer... And all the controversy around that machine. :)

Reactions: RustyAutoholicGuy
I can't decide if that is a super cool project or just wrong! Its a classic Jeep, it should be restored original. Then there is WWII and Japan and ... all that. But I love Kubota engines and what a unique concept. I also really appreciate your desire to just give it a try and see. I don't have near that much drive or talent to take on that kind of a project. But my hats off to you. It will be interesting to see how that works.

If all else fails, you can sell it and go buy a diesel Roxer... And all the controversy around that machine. :)

If I could easily restore it I think I would but this CJ-2A was so heavily modified when I got it, it would almost be more work. The brakes were changed, the steering had been changed, the engine was out of a CJ-3A, the frame was rough and twisted, and the body was repair with 1/4" plate steel!

Trust me I get an all original CJ-2A but that is like keeping a TJ stock . . . where is the fun in that 😁 ?

-Grant

Reactions: StG58
Love it! BTW, I think a stock CJ2A tops out at about 50-55 anyway with the Go Devil engine. That 1503 is an upgrade! Lol

It really is LOL! I think I'm going to update the tires to 750-16 instead, I was told the 900-16 are so thick and heavy they won't flex at all, plus the 750-16 are significantly cheaper!

I'd like to see how the diesel does in there, but the custom frame is more interesting, still.

Me too, this is a bit of an experiment right now, but I love the idea of a small light weight 1.5L going offroad. I won't have to worry about sinking into mud, this rig should be LIGHT!

-Grant

Reactions: StG58
Turbo350 is too long, stick with the 3 speed, its about 7 inches shorter and the dana transfercase can be flat towed.

Going with the 3-cylinder Kubota engine is going to make up for length of the TH350. Also I'm not running the Dana 18 transfer case, I'll be running a Toyota RF1A transfer case instead.

The other problem I'm running into is that I'm 6'5" so getting my legs underneath the steering wheel is . . . interesting. I'm going to move the brake pedal to the left of the steering wheel similar to where the throttle pedal is so I can sit comfortably in the CJ-2A!

-Grant