A Story of Indecision and Frivolous Spending

Okay, so I had a chance to install my Antirock today, as well as my JCR front and rear bumpers... well kind of.

So, I start bolting up the rear bumper and get all the bolts in except one. For the life of me, it won't thread into the hole.

Then I took a flashlight and shined it in there to see what was going on, this is what I see:

View attachment 64107

On the inside of the bumper they have a bolt that has been welded to the bumper so that when you put the bolt through on the frame side, it will thread into that bolt.

The bolt was welded so far off center, that there is no way to even start the thread on this bolt! What I think I'm going to have to do is take the bumper off tomorrow and use my Dremel tool to open up the 1/8" steel on the bumper so that the bolt will go all the way through and catch the thread.

Given that I paid almost $1200 for these bumpers, would you guys be mad about this? Mad enough to complain to JCR? Or should I just fix it and keep my mouth shut.

It would be one thing if this was a cheap bumper, but with the price they are charging, in my mind, there shouldn't be errors like this.

Mistakes happen. I would complain to them and give them the opportunity to make it right at least. But yeah it does suck.

You're only one bolt away from completion!
I'd still let them know....
Maybe you'll get one of these conversations: This never happens, don't know how it possibly could, or We've never seen this before.

When I go for ag parts...."We've never seen that before" Me: "do you have any on hand" Checks computer: "Oh wow looks like there's a dozen on the shelf."

Reactions: Chris
Yeah, I'm definitely going to just fix it myself. However, I still feel I have to say something to them. Like I said, these bumpers aren't cheap, so I expect the quality control to be a little better... granted it is only a nut.

Reactions: ac_ and Alex01
Any pictures of the finished front end? :)

I'll take some tomorrow when I pull it out of the garage to mount the winch. My boxing bag is literally right in the way of it!

It looks really good though. I like it better than the Mopar bumpers already!

Okay, so I had a chance to install my Antirock today, as well as my JCR front and rear bumpers... well kind of.

So, I start bolting up the rear bumper and get all the bolts in except one. For the life of me, it won't thread into the hole.

Then I took a flashlight and shined it in there to see what was going on, this is what I see:

View attachment 64107

On the inside of the bumper they have a bolt that has been welded to the bumper so that when you put the bolt through on the frame side, it will thread into that bolt.

The bolt was welded so far off center, that there is no way to even start the thread on this bolt! What I think I'm going to have to do is take the bumper off tomorrow and use my Dremel tool to open up the 1/8" steel on the bumper so that the bolt will go all the way through and catch the thread.

Given that I paid almost $1200 for these bumpers, would you guys be mad about this? Mad enough to complain to JCR? Or should I just fix it and keep my mouth shut.

It would be one thing if this was a cheap bumper, but with the price they are charging, in my mind, there shouldn't be errors like this.
I would let them know for sure. JCR has a reputation to uphold. I’d probably fix it myself either way, but it’s not acceptable at that quality level.

Reactions: Chris and tomtaylz
Good news! I just got back from RJ's Chassis Dynamics (the guys who did my gears). They told me that they can do the mid-arm, outboard shock conversion, and install my RubiCrawler for around $2500 (excluding the price of the new shocks) give or take.

He scheduled me for next Monday, and he said they should only need it for a week, but he said up to 10 days at most.

I trust these guys too, since they actually do what they say. He knew everything I was telling him about the mid-arm and outboard kit. He said they've done plenty of them before, which was refreshing to hear.

I knew I should have just taken it to these guys in the first place. These guys have never done me wrong, and they're very well known in the local Salem Jeep club. I'm shocked such a good place like this exists in a smaller city like Salem.

Good news! I just got back from RJ's Chassis Dynamics (the guys who did my gears). They told me that they can do the mid-arm, outboard shock conversion, and install my RubiCrawler for around $2500 (excluding the price of the new shocks) give or take.

He scheduled me for next Monday, and he said they should only need it for a week, but he said up to 10 days at most.

I trust these guys too, since they actually do what they say. He knew everything I was telling him about the mid-arm and outboard kit. He said they've done plenty of them before, which was refreshing to hear.

I knew I should have just taken it to these guys in the first place. These guys have never done me wrong, and they're very well known in the local Salem Jeep club. I'm shocked such a good place like this exists in a smaller city like Salem.

That’s exciting :). Looking forward to my control arms and other items I called dibs on ;).

Reactions: JMT and Alex01
That’s exciting :). Looking forward to my control arms and other items I called dibs on ;).

I can't even remember what else you called dibs on, haha!

Yeah, after they get the control arms off, I'll take them to the powder coating place near me. Last time I went there they had my powder coat done the next day. Hopefully they're that fast this time!

Reactions: tomtaylz
I can't even remember what else you called dibs on, haha!

Yeah, after they get the control arms off, I'll take them to the powder coating place near me. Last time I went there they had my powder coat done the next day. Hopefully they're that fast this time!

Savvy shifter and jks front trackbar!

Good for you but I’m jealous as hell! Which shops where cheaper around me. Maybe I need to talk to @jjvw or @tworley about shops in Denver

@jjvw does his own work.

I do too. There are times though where I was unsure or didnt have time. In those instances I have used Edge Automotive in Englewood. I want to say they charge $85 an hour. I go there to get my C02 filled and lately it seems they carry a ton of Zone and BDS packages. Im sure if you asked for savvy though they would deliver.

Can't go wrong with RJ's Chassis Dynamics. Nothing but good things to say about those guys. You'll see that their reputation on Google and Facebook is also stellar too. They know how to run a business. They schedule you, get you in, get your vehicle done, and send you on your way.

Reactions: tomtaylz

Don't forget the rubicrawler Low Low crawl video once its done.

Reactions: Chris
Can't go wrong with RJ's Chassis Dynamics. Nothing but good things to say about those guys. You'll see that their reputation on Google and Facebook is also stellar too. They know how to run a business. They schedule you, get you in, get your vehicle done, and send you on your way.
IS this the place that messed the gears up the first time after driving it 1 mile post completion? Thy did fix it I think in the end tho correct?