A Story of Indecision and Frivolous Spending

I will say I do like the small lift the more I look at all these jacked up tjs for sale. Mine won't go any higher. I love 33s, but 35s won't happen on mine I've decided. Rides to good now to mess with it.

It seems to come with age for me. The older I get, the more I appreciate a mildly lifted vehicle as oppose to the monster truck look. Not to say I don’t see TJs from time-to-time they look good on 35” tires, but that’s just not my personal preference anymore.

I got all excited about that one, until I noticed that it had long arms on it. With the wife currently driving my TJ, and @Chris doing all this TJ swapping behind our backs...I got the itch to look at 2003 and 2004 Rubi's.

This is going to be a really good build. I feel it.

Uh oh... you’re itching for a Rubicon, huh?

Reactions: StG58
I know! I was feeling the same way, hence poking around a bit at Rubi's A 2003 Rubi, 5 speed, with a hard top is my go to! I just have a hard time letting go of my old POS. We've been thru a lot together.

Uh oh... you’re itching for a Rubicon, huh?
Yes, and no. I've been without my TJ for a week and a half now as a daily driver. The wife's JKU is in the body shop and I've been driving my son in law's pickup. I think it's just TJ withdrawal and all this Rubicon swapping that's getting to me. That and winter.

I do have to say though, getting a 2003 or 2004 Rubicon, putting springs, shocks, tires and wheels, a winch and moving the CB over has a certain appeal. If I run across a good one with half doors and a soft top it might be more than just tempting.

I know! I was feeling the same way, hence poking around a bit at Rubi's A 2003 Rubi, 5 speed, with a hard top is my go to! I just have a hard time letting go of my old POS. We've been thru a lot together.
Right? A person gets pretty attached to a rig after awhile. There gets to be a lot of history and stories associated with it. You know and don't even think about all the little idiosyncrasies that a particular TJ develops.

Right? A person gets pretty attached to a rig after awhile. There gets to be a lot of history and stories associated with it. You know and don't even think about all the little idiosyncrasies that a particular TJ develops.

Exactly! I bought mine in 2005, with 39K on the clock. Today, it just passed 155K. We're buds!

Btw, you are now dubbed from this day forward as "The Stig".

Exactly! I bought mine in 2005, with 39K on the clock. Today, it just passed 155K. We're buds!

Btw, you are now dubbed from this day forward as "The Stig".
lol...it's like trading off one of your kids. There's days you'd be happy to trade one for something useful, say a bottle of so-so Bourbon and a new flex head wratchet, but you just get that nagging feeling that you'd miss them eventually.

The Stig, huh...no idea...

Reactions: bobthetj03
OK, @Chris, I've got a question for you...
Why the Exogate and the Antirock?

I nixxed the Exogate from the build since I’ll only be running a 31” spare, which should be fine on the stock tailgate.

As for the Antirock, I don’t like getting out and having to disconnect and reconnect away bars. Seems like the lazy mans solution, no?

Ahhh...had no idea. Don't do TV much.

So, we still need to know why @Chris want's to dump the sway bar disconnect on his Rubicon and get an antirock.

TJ Rubicons don’t have sway bar disconnects. You’re thinking of JK Rubicons.

AR is the way to go. Not only do you not have to get dirty disco'ing, but it improves your normal street driving performance. Disco your front sway bar and do some normal around town driving and report back. Just go easy at freeway speeds, or avoid them all together while you try this experiment.

Yeah, Iove the Antirock. Getting out and having to mess with sway bar discos gets old fast.

Having ran the Antirock on my previous TJ, I’m a big fan.

But yes, I am trying to keep this build simple and realistic as to not break the bank or “over build” it.