A Story of Indecision and Frivolous Spending

Not at all. I was expanding on the conversation.
One difference I can see between self-recovery with a winch vs winching another vehicle is the increased ability to drag the line over an object as the line is pulled in.

One difference I can see between self-recovery with a winch vs winching another vehicle is the increased ability to drag the line over an object as the line is pulled in.
That is one and likely the worst. The second is moving your rig into a place or situation that isn't good for it. I once witnessed a gent pulling another hard stuck from down below him. All the weight was on the front axle and was pulling the rig over to the edge of a ledge that would not be good to go over. He was in park with the brakes on, popped it into reverse since the winch was overpowering the brakes and gently gave it some throttle to try and back away from the edge. He had stopped the winch, but the load was very high and as soon as the torque hit, it broke both front axles nearly simultaneously.

I think I misread your earlier question with my earlier answer.

Leaving the Jeep in park is a big one (at least until it can no longer be considered in park...). So is standing next to the winch with a controller in hand. Recovered vehicle driving over the winch line. Recovered vehicle not helping or "helping" too much. Leaving recovered vehicle in park. Getting out of recovered vehicle when it should have a driver.

The worst is a buddy of mine, he's one of those that just can't decide on which Jeep to work on which day, or which end he wants his winch on, so he has a receiver mounted winch that sticks an extra foot and a half out... He also finds the tightest trails to go down and is always backed into a hill, rock, or tree where he either can't get the winch out of his trunk or can't get it into the receiver. Thankfully his 1/4" ultra reinforced bumpers haven't snapped when he does side pulls with that setup.

Last edited:
For those of you who wanted some better photos of the Savvy front bumper:

IMG_2511.JPG
IMG_2512.JPG
IMG_2513.JPG
IMG_2514.JPG
IMG_2515.JPG
IMG_2516.JPG

Chris, perfect time for you to boost your engine while it's not running anyway. Lol.

Good luck on getting it running. Nothing more frustrating than not knowing what to do and not knowing how to do it.

I mean, fake internet points are worth it, right?

Sometimes they are ;)

Chris, perfect time for you to boost your engine while it's not running anyway. Lol.

Good luck on getting it running. Nothing more frustrating than not knowing what to do and not knowing how to do it.

No kidding. If I had a damn error code to go by that would be a big step in the right direction.

Oh, and speaking of boost, I think it’s been close to 8 weeks now I’ve been waiting on that supercharger. So we are past the “5-6 week” lead time he originally gave me.