Proper backspacing for 285/75r16 tires?

LJRubiconGuy

TJ Enthusiast
What is the proper backspacing for a 285/75r16 tire on a 2005 Rubicon? I am running the factory Moab wheels but I'm not sure with these size tires if it would be wise to go to a different 16" wheel with better backspacing?

Well, that tire's width is kind of on the edge of requiring a little less backspacing but I think you'd be ok with the factory Rubicon wheels. It's roughly 11.2" wide so it's only little wider than stock so if it's going to rub, it'd likely only rub when you turn the steering wheel all the way left or right.

However, that particular potential rubbing issue can be easily cured by adjusting the steering bolt stops by adding a washer or two under both of them as described at http://4x4xplor.com/steerstop.html. Note that a washer or two there won't increase your turning radius in a noticeable or significant amount. I added a couple washers there years ago when my wheels had a little too much backspacing but I left them there after getting wheels with a more appropriate amount of backspacing. My TJ still turns on a dime. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Chris
Thanks so much Jerry, that answers my question.

I wasn't sure if I even needed new wheels or not as I have yet to run into any 'rubbing issues' from the tires. I'll do some turns to full lock and see if I notice any rubbing, at which point I'll address it using that washer method in the website you linked to. Seems a lot cheaper than buying new wheels anyways :D

Reactions: Chris
I literally just had these same size tires installed on my stock Moab" wheels this past week. It only barely rubs at full turn, but it's such a minimal rub that it can be addressed with the washers. The nice thing is that with this setup (the tires/wheels) they only barely stick out maybe 1" past the fender flares (if that) so I don't think I'll need to get the wider 7" flares.

My steering stop bolts were welded in place from the factory. Not sure if all were but just a warning haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My steering stop bolts were welded in place from the factory. Not sure if all were but just a warning haha

No, that's not normal at all. In fact, are you certain they are welded and not just on there really friggin' tight?

Probably a stupid question since I'm sure you know what a weld looks like.

Just a little Tig weld on each one to prevent them from backing out

Interesting, someone might have put that there because mine didn't have this on the factory knuckles.

I can't walk for at least a few more days but I'll look at DT2 and and see if it's welded or not.

It's worth a look. My stock ones came out easy with a ratchet and socket.