Pros and cons of buying / selling a Jeep from or to a friend

I won't sell to a friend/family, and I generally won't buy from friends/family, tho I'm less strict about that rule. I understand, "as is/where is"...most people don't. They say they do, but then when the transmission goes out 5,000 miles after they buy it, they will assume you "knew" something was up. That puts both parties in a bad spot. Its a lot easier to tell a random buyer to pound sand than it is to tell your best friend of 25 years or your sibling.

I have an inkling that a good friend of mine (that I've known for probably 40 years!) might be selling her sub 100K mile, 2005 LJ that has never seen a Michigan winter...I will buy that from her, if she does!

I bought my 97 from my son who had picked it up during college. He needed a different vehicle a few years later and I made him an offer which included him being able to drive the Jeep when he wanted. He drove the Jeep but never took advantage. If and when I decide to get rid of the TJ, I plan on offering it to my son first. Like @Squatch referenced in his comment, my son is someone who is aware of the recurring mechanical issues with a 97 Jeep and enjoys spending time working in his garage.

The group of folks I hang with the most @Hog @AndyG and @tr21triton are a good bunch of guys!!! We all like something in common, our TJ'S!!!!!

We all like to wheel together and even pick on one another, just see @AndyG light thread for his roof rack.

Let me clarify-These perverts gang up on me. There ain’t no picking on each other. Like a bunch of piranhas.

Last edited:
Sold a car to a friend of mine. He had half the money so I sold it to him knowing I’d probably never see the other half. I was right, but going in knowing I’d never see the other half didn’t bother me. I had a good job making great money and he was struggling to get by. It was an old beater $500. I got $250.

Never, ever would I sell a jeep to a friend, family member or even someone I know from work etc. The issue lies in the fact you will be married to said jeep for the entire length of the new ownership period. You will be made aware of every little issue. You will be asked a million questions. It will get annoying.

Never, ever would I sell a jeep to a friend, family member or even someone I know from work etc. The issue lies in the fact you will be married to said jeep for the entire length of the new ownership period. You will be made aware of every little issue. You will be asked a million questions. It will get annoying.

I’m going to lay this out here all joking and everything aside-

As a rule I don’t have any business endeavors with friends family or church members or people that I’m just quite familiar with-

It has been my experience that things will go wrong that seldom ever do.

That being said when I decided to sell the black Rubicon I knew John would most likely want it and I figured he might be more offended if he didn’t get a chance to buy then if he did- And he’s a big boy and knows how to deal with vehicles so I knew he wouldn’t be crying about every little thing.

I also knew that I had been pretty thorough with it-

I’ve seen people talk about being really good friends with customers and putting their lunch in the refrigerator when they were working at their house and stuff like that and I think that is complete garbage- Be professional- keep a professional distance and do your job and do all this so that they can say what they need to say if the quality or service needs to be better and so that you can say what you need to say if you need paid.

Last edited:
Andy we know how you take care of your stuff, honestly ! If I bought anything from you I know it would be right and if there was something wrong you would say it ! that's the type of person you are, as are the rest of our "gang" ! I would feel lucky to get a vehicle you owned because I know it would of been well cared for.... ☺️

Would you ever buy or sell a Jeep from or to a friend??

Yes, but I did so with the full expectation that I would take care of any pre-existing issues it had for longer than it took to leave the driveway. I expect to handle most anything that comes up for about a month and then it is on the new owner after that. Of course, I would not sell a vehicle to a friend that I wasn't comfortable with the condition of the rig to be able to do that. I'd just tell 'em to piss off or explain that it's "as is, where is" and don't call me if the motor falls out on the way home.

I would tell them everything I know about it. If they're competent enough, I would want them to inspect it. If not competent, I would encourage them to have it looked at and inspected.

Though if I thought it was going to be the type of person that would blame me later for issues, and say things like 'I'm having problems with this Jeep that YOU SOLD ME...' then I just wouldn't sell to that person.

A great example of who to not sell to: My wife (when we were dating) made the mistake of telling my sister that she could get her appliances at cost because she worked for a home builder. When my sister's microwave started having issues a few years later, I got a nasty email about this 'piece of shit that SHE sold me'...

My wife isn't in sales and didn't make a commission, just ordered it through normal channels. She was still blamed when my sister likely broke the damn thing.

Yes and I have but they know what they are getting up front. I also tell them when they it blows up its no ones fault but I will help you fix it. Simply because some of my friends race mini bikes and they know no to blame anyone just move forward.

Reactions: John Cooper
Ok ow for more of the story.

I get a text one day from @AndyG with a picture of a TJR that his son had found. Saying look what I just bought...... I gave $xxxxx.xx for it!!!!!

Immediately I responded back, if you ever decide to sell it please give me first chance!!!!! Andy sent back sure thing, no problem!

Fast forward through his build thread and all he did to it, and one Friday afternoon I get a text saying, hey wanna buy BB.

Immediately I responded ack well heck yeah, how much? He throws out a stupid low figure and I am like, let me sell Sport and I will take it.

Now I have sold numerous cars, trucks and Jeep from our front yard. Normally takes a few days up to 2 weeks of folks stopping haggling and coming back a couple of times.

Saturday morning I put Sport out in the yard with a for sale sign in the windshield.

1 hour later a truck pulled up, the man got out looked my Jeep over and says I be back in a little while. I'm thinking sure you will.

I get a call from work, had to run to the office. While I am at work my wife calls and says hey the guy is here with the money :oops: :oops:

I text Andy and say OK I just sold my Jeep, we made arrangements for me to go pick it up!!!!!!!

That folks is a true friend, that kept his word and did what he said he would do!!!!!

There is more to this story, but 4am comes mighty early and I got to sleep.

I will finish this in the morning!!!!!