Pros and cons of buying / selling a Jeep from or to a friend

I have bought and sold over 300 vehicles in my lifetime.
200.gif

I've sold a car to a friend; no issues when I sold it, and none developed while he had it, which was for ~5 years - a '71 Corvette convertible, for the record...
I'm getting ready to sell my RV to one of my oldest & best friends/dive partner of many years - 45 to be exact. I've been through it stem to stern; it's a 1998 with ~90K miles on it. Drove it 2,552 miles from San Clemente CA to Chapel Hill NC without a single hiccup. I'd drive it anyWHERE, anyTIME. Could something go wrong? Sure it could - it's 25 years old! He's not mechanically inclined (former fighter pilot), but he knows ME and how thorough I am. I doubt that he'd hold anything against me if something craps out on him, and I fully expect that he'll have ~152 questions for the first 6 months he owns it. We're both big boys; only "children" expect ANY used vehicle bought from ANYONE to be perfect. In fact, *I* can't think of ANYONE else that *I* would rather buy a vehicle from THAN me!

• Haha
Reactions: 2001slvrstntj
Exactly,but at least @John Cooper can guilt trip @AndyG into helping with repairs for a while!

Yeah he makes me feel so bad it makes a tear run down my leg. A well maintained Rubicon auto for 14 grand. That’s a friend deal if there ever was one-

I was thinking of what I had in it -

Water pump, belt, cats, carpet, windows, u joints, fluids, sensors, PCM, 4wd switch, locker pump, etc.

On the thread topic- it’s really situational and depends on the personalities- but by and large if it’s purely business for profit, fish elsewhere.

Another point is things that are hard to come by like John’s…..it wasn’t ever for sale on the open market…..it just changed hands. Things like LJR’s, good Jobs, etc are usually inside deals.

He really moved faster than I was ready, so I had some separation anxiety, but my 04 cured it.

Last edited:
On the thread topic- it’s really situational and depends on the personalities- but by and large if it’s purely business for profit, fish elsewhere.

Another point is things that are hard to come by like John’s…..it wasn’t ever for sale on the open market…..it just changed hands. Things like LJR’s, good Jobs, etc are usually inside deals.

He really move faster than I was ready, so I had some separation anxiety, but my 04 cured it.

I had the opportunity to buy an ljr auto for 9000$ last year.motor had been badly overheated and a gal i know needed cash. I still wish I'd bought it and started over sometimes.

Ok now I am up, got coffee brewing and semi-awake.

The first week I had my TJR, AKA, BB. No issues what so ever!!!!!

Then as I was pulling in the driveway one afternoon, I felt something bump my foot.

When I got out .... WOW a blame yellow duck was in the floorboard :oops: :oops: :oops:

I didn't say anything because hey @AndyG is my bud and all!!!!

Drive BB for another week or two, pulling into the driveway again I feel another bump on my foot, when I get out and look 2 of those dang things we're in the floorboard :oops::oops::oops:

At this point I am dumbfounded because I haven't been anywhere to get ducked.

Rock on 4 more weeks of happy driving, pulling into the driveway and yep... another bump on the foot!!!!!! 4 freaking ducks this time!!!!

It's like BB is a rubber duck hatchery :unsure:🤣:unsure:

• Haha
Reactions: tr21triton
Now every time this has happened I have thrown the ducks in a plastic bag, waiting on our next wheeling trip so I can return them to their rightful owner Andy.

The problem is, they keep doubling in numbers 2, 4 , 8 16.....and so on.

The only explanation I have, and I should have known from the ducks in his garage windows, is

@AndyG is a real motherducker!!!!!!!!!

🤣🤣🤣🤣

200.gif

• Haha
Reactions: tr21triton
I had the opportunity to buy an ljr auto for 9000$ last year.motor had been badly overheated and a gal i know needed cash. I still wish I'd bought it and started over sometimes.

I would do that in a heartbeat if it was a good platform with no rust

When my Uncle bough his '04 Rubi new, I asked for 1st right of refusal if he ever sold it down the road...Easter of 2018 he called, I invited myself over for dinner and bought it...now, he is as anal as it gets with anything he owns, but, knowing that, even if the motor fell out a week later, it would be on me...all about expectations I guess...

When it comes to vehicles, if you're the type of person where integrity is important to you, don't sell to a friend or someone you know. Even if you think the vehicle is in good shape, they are pieces of machinery and things can go wrong. If it does, you'll feel bad about it and second guess yourself for selling.

On the buying side, I'd have no problem purchasing from a friend or acquaintance. I've bought enough vehicles to know that buying anything used is a gamble, and I accept the risk. Sometimes you do okay, sometimes you don't. That said, I've had far more good experiences than bad, so that tells me there are a lot of good people still out there.

Yeah he makes me feel so bad it makes a tear run down my leg. A well maintained Rubicon auto for 14 grand. That’s a friend deal if there ever was one-

I was thinking of what I had in it -

Water pump, belt, cats, carpet, windows, u joints, fluids, sensors, PCM, 4wd switch, locker pump, etc.

I'll take a white one. You don't need two. :)

• Haha
Reactions: John Cooper
When it comes to vehicles, if you're the type of person where integrity is important to you, don't sell to a friend or someone you know. Even if you think the vehicle is in good shape, they are pieces of machinery and things can go wrong. If it does, you'll feel bad about it and second guess yourself for selling.

On the buying side, I'd have no problem purchasing from a friend or acquaintance. I've bought enough vehicles to know that buying anything used is a gamble, and I accept the risk. Sometimes you do okay, sometimes you don't. That said, I've had far more good experiences than bad, so that tells me there are a lot of good people still out there.

Are you selling? ;)

• Haha
Reactions: Irun